Goddess Relief Office uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies
  • Create Account

support the site, order your favorite anime and manga today

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Spice and Wolf Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zen

Zen

Immortal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
    • Member No: 3857

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Spice and Wolf Season 1 - Rating: 10

1. Story - 9

Spice and Wolf
is a different type of story than most anime. Set in a late medieval/early renaissance fantasy world, the story is not a sword & sorcery epic with battles and powerful magic, but rather a calmly paced story of a merchant named Lawrence and the economic realities he must deal with in order to make a profit in a changing world. The fantasy element is the other protagonist, Holo, a wolf spirit/harvest goddess that stows away in Lawrence's wagon and asks him to help her return to her home in the far north. It seems that she has been tied to the land around a farming village for hundreds of years and worshiped as a god. As times have changed and people have learned to ensure a bountiful harvest using better agricultural practices, they have ceased to need Holo and she wishes to escape their annual rituals and return home.

However, the real story of Spice and Wolf is not the economic scheming, but the relationship between the two protagonists. It is one of the finest written, realistically paced, believable love stories I have ever seen in anime. The story is not a "sudden, magical girlfriend" story. When they start traveling together it is merely out of mutual self-interest and convenience. As they travel, they learn more about each other and begin to rely on one another for companionship, advice, and maybe even more. The realistic pace that their relationship develops at should be relatively familiar to fans of Ah My Goddess, but even more so that with K1 and Belldandy. Much of the story is conveyed through the witty banter between the Holo and Lawrence as they discuss the nature of trading in the various towns they visit.

The only beef I have with the story is that it does drag occasionally mid-arc. In those cases, the plot developement is slow, usually in favor of witty banter between Holo and Lawrence. Those can be fine moments, but they don't move the story along quite as well as they could. However, the arc-setup episodes and the arc-climax episodes are excellent without exception, without sacrificing the back-and-forth between the protagonists.

The story is based on a series of Japanese light novels, with the first season consisting of the first two volumes of the series.

2. Characters - 10

The two protagonists, Lawrence and Holo, are two of the finest in anime. They are well rounded, complex, and most importantly believable, despite the fact that one of them is a wolf goddess. The supporting characters are all done well enough to serve their purposes, with some having enough meat to be especially effective (Chloe and Nora in particular.)

3. Art - 10

The art and animation of Spice and Wolf is extremely well done. The backgrounds are detailed and complex. With so many different towns and landscapes to travel between, it could have been done with some stock flat backgrounds, but the artists took their time to make it better. The character animation is first rate, with realistic body movements and an infinite number of facial expressions and body positions, especially with Holo's tail! The use of color to set the mood of the piece is and to set our lovely wolf-girl apart from the drab, everyday life of a medieval town is extremely fine.

4. Music/sound effects – 10

The soundtrack is full of period instruments and mood enhancing tunes is very well done. The opening and closing themes are hummable to the point of distraction. The effects are superb, providing a depth to the viewing experience, from the random sounds of a market place to the rustle of fabric when Holo grabs Lawrence by his shirt, they don't miss a beat!

5. VA/Dub – 10/10

For the Japanese VA work, it is well established that Ami Koshimizu's performance as Holo is one of the finest seiyuu performances in recent memory. The range of emotion that is expressed in her voice, even without understanding most of the words, is truly amazing. That said, the English Dub performance of Holo by Brina Palencia is extremely good as well, in the two episodes I have seen dubbed. She doesn't use the archaic manner of speech that Ami uses in the Japanese version, but that would not translate to English well anyway. What she does do is present a haughty, formal, and fiery rendition of the vivacious wolf-girl that sets just the right tone for the character. She also keeps up nicely with the wide range of emotions and the quick trigger passion of the wolf. The rest of the cast is well done, but I was really impressed with the English dub performance by J. Michael Tatum as Lawrence!
Spoiler

6. Overall Enjoyment - 10

This is a fantastic show! If you are looking for something fast paced and action filled, look elsewhere. But if you are interested in a thoughtful, carefully crafted, expertly rendered, and elegantly executed story with enough twists and tension to keep you wanting more and enough subtle romance to make your heart twitter with happiness, this is for you! The sub version is currently available on Hulu as well as at FUNimation's site. In addition, the first two episodes of the dubbed version are available at FUNimaiton.

Edited by Zen, 11 February 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Now blogging in a new location: I have joined the editorial staff of Nabe!! an anime and otaku culture blog.
My blog: The Zen Of ... is still there, but updates will be infrequent.

"Still just a girl deep down, aren'tcha Bell!"
With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. With a tsundere, she walks on the ground you worship!

Click on this banner to support our "Right Stuf" Anime and Manga Store.

#2 OFFLINE   Timotheus

Timotheus

Lunatic Fringe Intellectual

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
    • Member No: 23

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

For what it's worth I've been reading the novels as they've come out. I'm really looking forward to number four.
If I Knew What I Was Doing, I'd Be Dangerous

Exit 29E - Outer Darkness - 1/4 mile, Right Lane Must Exit Screaming

There is no such thing as useless knowledge, only knowledge for which there is a very low demand.

The natural order of things usually involves claws and large pointed teeth, thank goodness humanity follows the un-natural order of things.

When you think about it, it's usually not worth thinking about.

#3 OFFLINE   Zen

Zen

Immortal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts
    • Member No: 3857

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I have read all three US releases as well. The anime is well done in relation to the books. Book 4, from what I understand, will be a new story for us, since season 2 uses books 3 and 5. I hope they finish them!

Now blogging in a new location: I have joined the editorial staff of Nabe!! an anime and otaku culture blog.
My blog: The Zen Of ... is still there, but updates will be infrequent.

"Still just a girl deep down, aren'tcha Bell!"
With a normal girl, you worship the ground she walks on. With a tsundere, she walks on the ground you worship!

#4 OFFLINE   ABD1VDA

ABD1VDA

Immortal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
    • Member No: 69

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:41 PM

I fully endorse this review as accurate and excellent. :thumbsup:

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

I yam that I yam and thats all that I yam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users