Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Zen

Your Favorite Anime Shows

Zen    56
Zen

Because I am a big fan of list topics: List your top 15 anime series. You can include movies if you must, but stick to TV or OVA series if possible. Without further ado, mine:

Updated 05/06/2014:
1. Ah My Goddess - (all seasons and OVAs)
2. Spice and Wolf - (Both seasons)

3. Golden Time
4. Toradora!
5. Ano Natsu de Matteru (Waiting in the Summer)
6. Tari Tari
6. Otome Youkai Zakuro
8. Gosick
9. Steins;Gate

10. Tamayura (all seasons and OVA)
11. Red Data Girl

12. Bodacious Space Pirates
13. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
14. So Ra No Wo To

15. Hanasaku Iroha

15. Hyouka

Historical comments on my list:

I decided to include Disappearance in with the TV series for Haruhi, which bumped it up. I also had to add Angel Beats in. It may move up upon re-watching. It is really, really good! :)

I still suspect that Gosick, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, or Mahou Shojo Madoka Magica might displace some of these after this season. We'll see,,,

[EDIT: Like Star, Madoka had to find her way into my list, displacing Toradora! from the top 5. Once Gosick is done, Eden of the East will leave the top 15, unless it moves above Nodame after seeing the movies...]
[EDIT: I watched the first of the two Eden of the East movies... I loved it! Eden of the East moves up to 11th spot. Also, I reconsidered So Ra No Wo To, in light of the fact that I pre-ordered the DVD... That says that I like it more than some of the ones that had been in front of it...]
[EDIT: Gosick moved a bunch of stuff down the list and knocked Nodame Cantabile off the list. I couldn't put it above Zakuro, but it is tied with it.]
[EDIT: The Summer 2011 season wreaked havoc on the list! The end of Steins;Gate, Hanasaku Iroha, Kamisama no Memo-Chou, and Usagi Drop have pushed out Noein, Last Exile, Eden of the East, and Angel Beats. Also, re-watching some of the early part of Clannad After Story reminded me that, though the main story is possibly my favorite ever, there are some of the arcs of Clannad that just aren't that good, pushing it below some of the newcommers and Toradora! which is now my favorite school romantic comedy. Hanasaku Iroha flirts with the top five, but those five are going to be pretty hard to crack! I also added in, as a tie for 15th, Wandering Son. This touching little slice-of-gender-confused-life still makes me think, even months after its completion.]
[EDIT: Re-watching and reading Toradora! has increased my love of that sweet, funny, and extremely well written series. I have started collecting the manga and read Baka-Tsuki translations of the main sequence light novel series and they are soooo well done! Meanwhile, Clannad dropped out of the top 10 and FMP moved up, just because I like FMP better. This is probably a reaction to Toradora! moving up, the counter reaction is that Clannad moves down, as I think of them as being the same basic genre, except Toradora! doesn't have the extraneous stuff and the really poorly written episodes. Plus, it is happier and happy is good...]
[EDIT: Penguindrum erupted into the top 15, debuting at number 11. It pushed out two very good shows, Wandering Son and Usagi Drop, which had been ranked in a tie for 15th. Also, Clannad continues its slide, with other shows strong points continuing to highlight the weakness of several of the non-main arc story-lines in that show.]
[EDIT: Waiting in the Summer moved into the top 10, nearly making the top 5. I was tempted to put it into a three-way tie with Zakuro and Gosick... Clannad continued its decline to fall out of the top 15, the addition of another quality teen romance just reinforced the parts of Clannad that drove it down. If I could put out an edited version of Clannad, that only focused on the primary couple, with a few excursions into the other girl's arcs to show how Nagisa "won", and eliminating the sections about Youhei and Mai, and to a certain extent the Library girl, it would be great! The game logic just gets in the way of the romance... Also falling out of the top 15 is Kamisama no Memo-Chou, though it is still a very strong show and I would love to see more of the light novels turned into anime. Last Exile mad a valient return to the list, mostly on the strength of the final few episodes of FAM. The emotional power of the final episode, in particular, was stunning! Also making the list, Okamisan sneaks in with a tie at #15 on the strength of its dub! I have yet to finish the new season of Shana, so we'll see how it fares when all is said and done...]

[EDIT: Well, I finally got around to processing the Spring 2011 season into my favorites list. It was a tough one. At one point, Kids on the Slope looked to be a shoe-in for a spot, but it faltered at the end, leaving a poor taste in my mouth after the episodes leading up to the ending. Shakugan no Shana III didn't hold me enough that I have managed to complete it, which added to the downgrading of the series as a whole, though my love of the first two seasons is still strong, and when I get around to finishing the story, I may very well revisit my opinion on it. Also falling out of the top 15 was Mawaru Penguindrum, slipping behind Haruhi, Last Exile, and Okamisan. The bizarre series with character designs by Otome Youkai Zakuro's mangaka, Lily Hoshino has faded in my fondness of it as time has passed, partly due to the rather unsatisfying ending and confused logic throughout. The shows that made their debut this time around were two that really struck my fancy: Bodacious Space Pirates and Mysterious Girlfriend X. The only question was, how high would they go? BSP is a strong SF series, with minimal romance, but very good character development and pacing, in my opinion. (Many people complained about the pacing, but I found it a breath of fresh air, in that it took time to fully build its characters and world, instead of rushing headlong into action.) The characters of Marika and Chiaki, in particular, and the relationship between these two friends and rivals, really makes this show excel above others. MGX, on the other hand, falls under the "guilty pleasure" category in most ways. The eechi content is a bit more pronounced than my usual tastes and the premise itself is bizarre beyond measure. However the characters, the old school designs, the attention to detail in the backgrounds and settings, the wonderfully written story, the fantastic romantic pairing of Tsubaki and Urabe, the unique and unparallelled leading lady, and, above all, the fantastic adaptation from the original source material, which made an already great manga an even better anime, all combined to push this series about as far as is possible in my list, as the top five are practically set in stone, unless something comes along that truly rocks my world beyond all comprehension. (Tari Tari, Hyouka, or Kokoro Connect all have potential to do so, if they deliver fully on the promise they have built up thus far this summer season, as does Sword Art Online, if it can overcome a slow start and finish with an emotional and forceful finale in the second half. Not to mention what would happen if Full Metal Panic were ever to actually get another season or, better yet, were completed, taking us all the way through the story in the books!) Regardless, MGX comes in at a strong 6, and the OVA that just came out suggests that there may be another season, which could move it either way. BSP comes in slightly lower, at 8th place, behind the wonderful romantic comedy Waiting in the Summer. My romance bias is showing here, but a show that features romance in a SF story wins over a show that is a strong SF story with only side character romance, albeit one of the most finely done yuri romantic moments that I recall in anime, with real emotion worthy of the finest romance sub-plots.

The Summer season will shake things up, big time. There is no doubt about that! Currently, the three shows mentioned above have the potential to land literally anywhere in the list, considering that I am enjoying Tari Tari and Hyouka enough to assist with the administration of fan club groups on MAL for both of them, and the characters of Chitanda and Oreki in Hyouka, if they are given the ending they deserve, could become one of my very favorite anime couple, potentially moving past Kei and Zakuro, Kujo and Victorique, Ryuuji and Taiga, Tsubaki and Urabe, and possibly even Holo and Lawrence or Belldandy and Keiichi! (Though the last two are pretty far fetched... Their relationships are just at a whole different level than high school romance, even if K1 and Bell are constantly referred to as having a kindergarten level relationship. LOL!) ]

[EDIT: The first of the series from summer to shake up my list is actually one that started in the spring. Hyouka, a series that started a couple weeks after the rest of the spring season and ran for 22 episodes, finishing a bit in front of most of the summer season, moved into the #6 spot on my top 15, knocking out Last Exile and Okamisan. But the biggest change on the list came at me almost by surprise. I decided, after ordering the discs for Please Teacher, to re-watch the series by the same screenwriter that came out this past winter: Waiting in the Summer. Yes, it was already on my list, but re-watching it really cemented just how much I love that show! It is extremely close to swapping places with Toradora! and becoming my favorite "school romantic comedy". Frankly, if Sentai Filmworks surprises us and puts it out on BluRay with a dub, it probably will move past Toradora! (I doubt that it could make it past Spice and Wolf though... That would take a seriously amazing show.]

[EDIT: Tari Tari shook up my Top 15, pushing its way up into the top 5 in a tie with Zakuro. This little gem of a series really hit me where it counts! However, Haruhi refused to drop out of the top 15. Indeed, she forced me to keep her in the list, in the form of a tie between her and FMP! Haruhi is Haruhi, after all....]

[EDIT: I made some changes to my list based on recent series and some older ones that are fading in my estimation. First off, Mysterious Girlfriend X has dropped off my list. While I still plan on ordering the bluray eventually and loved the series, it was surpassed by a few others. Steins;Gate moved up a bit, because Iove the dub even more than the original, The Tamayura franchise leapt onto my list, where it really has belonged for a while. It is just too good and impacts me emotionally too much to not be there. Eccentric Family made it's way on the list. It is an instant classic in my opinion. And Haruhi has continued to warp space time with my list. This time she changed it to base 11 instead of base 10. The transition into the computer has converted it back into base 10 so people can read it better, but that is why it now has a #16 spot (in base 11, 15 = 16 in base 10, honest it's all Haruhi's fault. I don't want to know what Shana will do when I finally finish the final season, if I like it enough for her to have a chance to push Haruhi off the list. I think that will be scary! Hmmmm... I think that would make a nice video game... They have one now where you can have Shana fight Asuna from SAO, but how about fighting Haruhi? hmmm... Oh, and RDG: Red Data Girl and True Tears came darned close to breaching the list. They are both really good, True Tears more so than RDG, since RDG suffers from the flaw of being incomplete in many ways, though I thought it ended well... Oh, Kouko from Golden Time is primed to beat down the door of my list with a bouquet of roses in the very near future. And, even more so than Haruhi, I must do what Kouko wants... She may very well be my favorite character ever written in a light novel, after Holo of course. And I am a pretty huge fan of Taiga, Victorique, and Haruhi.]

[EDIT: The time has come to shake things up on my list again. As I expected, Kouko Kaga did vanquish Haruhi from the list, along with FMP! and Eccentric Family. Indeed, she went a step further and knocked Toradora! out of the #3 spot, at least until the BluRay w/dub arrives this summer, at which point Toradora! will likely re-take the spot. (I've heard the trailer and, in my opinion, the voice casting is practically perfect.) The other change is one that I didn't expect: RDG: Red Data Girl pushed into the list at #11. Part of this is because of the dub. The first two dubbed episodes became available to Funi subscribers today and, after watching them, the way that show makes my spine tingle while watching it came back to me. It is special to me for some reason, despite the fact that I recognize its inherent flaws. If only it had been given two cours and they were able to actually complete the story! But, even with the way it turned out, I love that show! Once I order the DVDs of Red Data Girl, the only available series on my list that won't own is Hanasaku Iroha. I keep looking at that one and wishing I had the cash for it, but things like the Toradora! bluray take priority, I'm afraid...]

Edited by Zen

speedfreek19    46
speedfreek19

I'm surprised that Zakuro isn't any higher on your list Zen xD

Now my top 10 is kinda vague in that after about 4 or 5 there is no definite position and that it's more a placing for the sake of placing.

1. Ah! My Goddess (Includes everything. Obvious but it's my #1)

2. El Hazard: The Magnificent World

3. Kannagi (A new entry in recent times, back in 2009 i saw it, just really stuck with me)

Here's where things get tricky, i'll have to try and remember the shows as well but here they are in some kind of order

4. Kaleido Star (Probably the only definitive outside of top 3, seeing as Kannagi pushed it from the #3 spot)

5. Please Teacher (with Please twins getting an honorary equal 5th)

6. Read Or Die (TV & OVA)

7. Steel Angel Kurumi (season 1)

8. Kiddy Grade

9. Shining Tears X Wind

10. Mai HiME

11. You're Under Arrest (while one of my all time favourites, it's just one of those shows you can kick back and enjoy but never had any great impact on me, well as much as the others have)

Outside of a top 11, I have no clue but those are the series that have had the most impact on me, that I have completed. Granted that list is over a year old but I haven't had anything to challenge that list yet

Zen    56
Zen

Just updated my list (top of post). Anybody else want to share thier top shows?

wkw427    0
wkw427

In no particular order

Ah My Goddess

Fairy Tail

Tokyo Mew Mew

Sailor Moon

Panty & Stocking

....Yeah I don't really watch that much anime sadly. That is ALL the anime I've watched. LOL

Adam_Price40    9
Adam_Price40

I always find it difficult to rank shows in order, so here are some of my favourites in no particular order:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ah! My Goddess

Skip Beat

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Spice and Wolf

Toaru Majutsu no Index / Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

Otome Youkai Zakuro

Bakuman

Angel Beats

K-On!

Elfen Lied

Cowboy Bebop

Full Metal Panic

Genshiken

Edited by Adam_Price40

Star    2
Star

I'll compile a top 11 for now since the other 4 positions are currently pretty unclear.

I guess I have some quite uncommon names on my list, especially as #1.

I'm sorry, but OMG isn't #1 here, don't blame me. :) Also I currently really can't decide which one is #1, so this position is shared between the first 2. Here we go:

1. Jigoku Shōjo & Kanon 2006

3. Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika

4. Angel Beats!

5. Clannad

6. Macross Frontier

7. Ga-Rei Zero

8. Oh! My Goddess

9. Toradora!

10. Bakemonogatari

11. Dance in the Vampire Bund

12. Kurokami

13. Asura Cryin'

14. Elfenlied

And yes, the correct title would be "Elfenlied" not "Elfen Lied" like it's officially entitled. :)

[EDIT: Added Macross Frontier after finishing this great show]

[EDIT: Macross Frontier rises to #6; Ga-Rei Zero enters on #7]

Edited by Star

redpbass    27
redpbass

Hmm...

FLCL (not really a series, but still my all time favorite and the one that cemented my love of anime)

Read or Die (OVA and TV)

Sora no woto

Nanoha (mostly the third season)

Genshiken

Gunslinger Girl (never saw the second season)

Haruhi

Full Metal Panic (all three seasons)

Spice and Wolf (First season, didn't really like the latter part of the second season)

Index (and Railgun)

Aria (all three seasons)

Baccano (one of my favorites of all time)

Valkyria Chronicles (I don't usually like anime based on games, but I'll make an exception for this one)

Lucky Star

K-On

This is all I can think of at the moment.

I really liked Cowboy Bebop, the first season of Shakugan no Shana, Durarara, Turn A Gundam, and others as well, but the ones above were the first to cross my mind.

Edited by redpbass

Star    2
Star

I updated my list after finishing Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika. What an amazing show... the final episode gave me chills for the rest of the day.

Brian Xavier    22
Brian Xavier

Time to educate Zen on some good old Sailor Moon... mwhaha *drags him off to his doom* hmmm.gif

I used to have a list at one time... but it was about uh ten years ago... so... yeah about that. tongue.png

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

Mine are, in no specific order:

1. Ah! My Goddess
  2. You're Under Arrest
  3. Love Hina
  4. Ai Yori Aoshi
  5. Ah! My Buddha
  6. Girls Bravo
  7. Tenchi Muyo OVA
  8. Tenchi Muyo: Galaxy Police
  9. Ranma 1/2
  10. Please Teacher
  11. Suzuka
  12. Read or Die
  13. Last Exile
  14. Speed Racer
  15. Robotech

Zen    56
Zen

I updated my list after finishing Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika. What an amazing show... the final episode gave me chills for the rest of the day.

Yeah, same here! Madoka only made it to #4 on my list. I hope it gets picked up for a BluRay release!

Scinfaxi    5
Scinfaxi

I'll put my list up. I've been resisting for a while as I haven't seen that much Anime compared to most of you, so a 'Top 15' is impossible. It's basically going to be an ordered list of everything I have watched that I can remember.

1. Ah! My Goddess (obviously)

2. Sora No Woto

3. Cardcaptor Sakura

4. Macross Frontier

5. You're Under Arrest!

6. Infinite Stratos

7. Girls Bravo

8. Death Note

9. Chobits

10. Tales of The Abyss

11. Mnemosyne

12. Elfen Lied

13. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

14. Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze

15. Neon Genesis Evangelion

I also have several that I've started but not completed, so they haven't been added to the list. I'm watching Tales of the Abyss and I'm quite far through. I'd probably put that just behind Chobits if I was to rank it right now. I've only watched 3 episodes of To Aru Majutsu no Index, and I'm not sure where I stand with that one yet. I've only seen 1 episode of Otome Youkai Zakuro due to issues with Crunchyroll. I'll try and pick that one up again as Zen rates it so highly :laugh: .

I'll also point out that because I've seen so few, the list contains some that I didn't really like so much. I didn't get on with Evangelion at all really. Yukikaze was confusing and GITS was too slow paced for me, and the non-plot episodes slowed things down even more.

UPDATE: Have now finished Tales of The Abyss. Wasn't so happy with the ending, so behind Chobits it goes!

UPDATE 2: Two months later, I've watched 15 series! Macross Frontier goes in at 4!

Edited by Scinfaxi