Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

AnimEigo Announce YUA Going Out Of Print

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

AnimEigo has announced that You're Under Arrest is going out of print. January 31st, 2012, marks the final end of this wonderful series by Animeigo, so get your copies before they're gone forever.

http://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/youre-under-arrest

Zen

You beat me to the punch on this one... I came to the site with the link in my paste buffer last night and saw the article already featured on the front page. Good work! :)

It is too bad that this license is lapsing, especially since the dub is regularly recognized as one of the best in the industry and there is no guarantee that a future licensee will have access to it. I wish the disks weren't so expensive, as I can't afford nearly $100 for the series. I really appreciate companies like Funimation, that release older shows in bargain sets (like the Viridian and S.A.V.E. collections).

I wonder if Sentai Filmworks will pick this up to complete the set?

bejay53

I thought Funimation picked up the rights to this last year, along with Noir?

Wishful thinking I guess.

Edited by bejay53

Keiichi Morisato

If anyone wants to send a donation to the site we could start a promotion thing. For those who would want to donate to have the site purchase a complete set, we could provide a copy (DVD-R) of the complete series for those who wish to donate to this effort. Those who donate would be able to receive a DVD-R set of the disks. I've been thinking about this for some time and that those who donate would be able to receive a complete set of all 13 DVD's.

I figured if we could generate $100 in donations for a complete set, I could start by making DVD copies of the series and then simply making duplicates to pass out.

Nobody has acquired the rights to the Oh My Goddess OVA series, the Mini Goddess anime series, the AMG movie nor the AnimEigo YUA series. Considering that AnimEigo still has the license to YUA, I simply don't see how Funimation could acquire the series. Besides, I doubt I would purchase the series from Funimation since there are about 52 episodes to the first season and that Funimation would soak fans on the prices for this series. The only way I could see Funimation releasing this series is if they released it in 2 26 episode boxed sets, keeping the prices down for anime fans.

Zen

I would go for that idea! I think we would need to collect at least a few bucks more than the purchase price though, to cover the cost of disks for the person making them.

Keiichi Morisato

Well, over time, it would pay for itself. But, I'm figuring between $100-$125 to purchase all 13 DVD's. After the DVD's would be purchased, via a special donation program, the cost of the duplication would be thought out to pay for the cost of the blank DVD's, the postage, and a shipping fee to send them. This wouldn't be knowingly advertised, but after the DVD's were purchased, and those members who donated received their copies of the set, future DVD-R sets would be used to help pay for the site costs as well as possibly buying various new anime to give away through the forums.

But, it would definitely require those who are donating to place a note toward what they would be donating to. Whether that's the YUA DVD Project or a donation to keep the site going.

speedfreek19

While I understand the reasoning behind it, I don't like the idea of donating towards buying the set so people can have a pirated copy or even paying just for the costs to have it duplicated and sent to them.

It is piracy regardless and no matter how admirable your actions are, it still is illegal and of course if word spreads to the greater masses that "hey make a small donation and you can get copied YUA DVDs!" it may not end very well for you and those involved.

Then there's the whole issue of the site profiting from piracy to keep it running if the funds are used for that, if the incentive of donations is to receive said DVDs then I would not want to be a part of this website and forum.

Either way I do not like the idea of people paying or "donating" money to have pirated copies of a series especially on a forum like this. It's one thing to do it yourself or download it via various methods but as soon as you have money involved then you're crossing even further to darker territory

Keiichi Morisato

Truthfully, I'm starting to have second thoughts about it anyways. I had thought maybe like the kind of program that underground anime clubs used to have before anime started to get released via licensed anime programs. While it would be as you said, speed. I just don't see anybody else picking up this license since nobody has touched the many licenses for YUA and AMG that are available. I just doubt that anybody is going to pick up the license for the first season of YUA and that it would be a shame if it no longer became available.

bejay53

While looking for the availability of season 1, I've come across an interesting question.

Does anybody know if DVD region 0 is a legal copy of YUA?

There are several vendors that offer the complete series for less than $60.

The set available on Right stuf and Amazon is region 1.

Those sites do not mention the studio, which leads me to believe they may not be legal, but boot legs from china.

Keiichi Morisato

I can tell you that Region 0 is not an official release of the series and is, more than likely, a bootleg copy of the series.

The YUA DVD's that you find on Right Stuf and Amazon are the legitimate copies and you can judge the cover art from the AnimEigo website. Just compare the DVD cover art. AnimEigo is the only company who currently retains the license to the anime series.

Avinash_Tyagi

While I understand the reasoning behind it, I don't like the idea of donating towards buying the set so people can have a pirated copy or even paying just for the costs to have it duplicated and sent to them.

It is piracy regardless and no matter how admirable your actions are, it still is illegal and of course if word spreads to the greater masses that "hey make a small donation and you can get copied YUA DVDs!" it may not end very well for you and those involved.

Then there's the whole issue of the site profiting from piracy to keep it running if the funds are used for that, if the incentive of donations is to receive said DVDs then I would not want to be a part of this website and forum.

Either way I do not like the idea of people paying or "donating" money to have pirated copies of a series especially on a forum like this. It's one thing to do it yourself or download it via various methods but as soon as you have money involved then you're crossing even further to darker territory

Don't worry the FSM blesses such actions with his noodly appendage

Keiichi Morisato

Trust me, first and foremost, the site will be funded with donations ... that will always remain separate. There's always the option of giving away a complete set via a YUA donation.

:=D: