Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
webmonkey44

lawful good or lawful neutral?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

webmonkey44

Are the goddesses lawful good or lawful neutral? are the demons lawful evil or lawful neutral? i can arguments for both instances given evil seems to be a job rather than a motivation.

Avinash_Tyagi

I think the characters have different alignments

Belldandy is Neutral Good, She'll follow the law whenever she can, but if necessary she'll bend the laws and find loopholes to help others and she'll willingly break them for Keiichi's sake

Urd is chaotic good, her heart is in the right place, but she has a rebellious/free spirited streak

Lind I'd say is closest to being Lawful Good, she seems to be very dedicated to her duty and commands by her superiors

Hild is probably closer to Lawful Neutral than Lawful Evil (she's willing to do bad things, but isn't really an evil person), Same with Marller, she's more of a punch clock villain, mostly acting bad because it's her job

• Upvote 1

webmonkey44

based on that assessment id say skuld is neutral good. i would pontentially consider lind lawful neutral due to the fact she seems to be a little too willing to sacrifice people but thats a very subjective assessment id admit.

Avinash_Tyagi

based on that assessment id say skuld is neutral good. i would pontentially consider lind lawful neutral due to the fact she seems to be a little too willing to sacrifice people but thats a very subjective assessment id admit.

Lind could go either way, I'd say maybe early on she could have been called lawful neutral, but now I'd say she's clearly lawful good in the more recent manga appearances.

Skuld could be neutral good or chaotic good or even sometimes lawful good, her alignment tends to vary, there are times she can match Urd in having a wild streak, and there are times when she is trying to strictly adhere to the rules for a goddess and times when she'd be willing to bend or break the rules for a good reason.

Keiichi Morisato

I don't think the question is that simple. I think we tend to think about the concept of "good" and "evil" as being based on our own perceptions or ethics and morality. The thing to consider is that there are two forces that balance the universe, "order" and "chaos". Each needs the other to survive and I think that is what the "goddesses" represent with the "demons". Those terms are just what we label them based on our limited understanding of the universal balance. Once you step away from the idea of "good" and "evil" then you can examine the issue from a more neutral point.

Just remember that goddesses and their mentors also can deviate from what we perceive as "evil". Take a look at Celestin from the movie as well as Mara's training beside Belldandy and Urd while they were children.