Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Keiichi Morisato

Ah! My Goddess: Season 3, Separating Fact from Fiction

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

There is a lot of traffic recently and I find myself having to address this issue far too often so I thought "what better way to address this issue than to open a discussion topic and compile every piece of information I have on this particular issue". So, I'll try to address everything that I'm aware of and then open the topic up to every member here. Please, if you wish to discuss this, feel free to post some of your thoughts and views. So, here's what information I have:

Back in January 2005, Kodansha began production and broadcast of the first season of the anime series, as adapted (and very abridged) from the manga series of Aa! Megamisama, better known to fans all around the world as either "Ah! My Goddess" or "Oh My Goddess", depending on what country the series is distributed in. Originally slated for 24 episodes, the first season would see two additional episodes, which would be produced for the DVD releases of the anime series. These were OVA episodes, attached to the end of the first season.

When the second season was greenlit for production, the production team would jump straight into the second season and end up producing 22 episodes for the second season with two episodes produced exclusively for the DVD release. These two OVA episodes were "original anime" episodes that weren't adapted from the manga series. The series would be broadcast later in 2005, into 2006. When the second season ended, the production team would take a hiatus from the anime series as Hidenori Matsubara wanted to take a breather from the anime series to work on the "Rebirth of Evangelion" movies, a series of four films that would revisit the world of the Evangelion anime series. Hideaki Gohda, also, wanted to take some time off from the anime series because he had been working on the anime series so such an extended period of time and that he wasn't used to dealing with an anime series as extensive as Ah! My Goddess. Prior to this series, most of the anime that Gohda-san had worked on had been such anime shows that only consisted of 12 or 13 episodes for a single season.

When the 20th Anniversary of the Ah! My Goddess manga series rolled around, Kodansha had started a year long celebration of the manga and decided to reward the anime and manga fans who had continued to support the series throughout its 20 year history. So, when Christmas 2007 came around, Kodansha would hold a special event at its Tokyo location and present fans of the anime and manga series with two episodes of the anime series that had been specially produced for this event. These two episodes would become known as the "Fighting Wings" OVA series and these episodes would not be rebroadcast in Japan but would eventually see their release on DVD.

Then, a surprising turn. Kodansha had been experimenting with a series of anime episodes for various titles that they produced and they discovered that this format was becoming very popular among manga fans sin Tokyo. It wasn't long before Kodansha decided to turn its attention back to Ah! My Goddess and started producing a series of these anime episodes that would be packaged with the manga of the same name and "not intended for individual resale". It should be noted that these "OAD" anime episodes are produced for the manga series for which they are distributed with. For instance, OAD anime for Ah! My Goddess would contain a new anime episode for Ah! My Goddess and that these OAD/manga bundled editions would have a limited print run. While the content is anime, OAD actually refers to "Original Anime DVD".

Now, this is where the fansub communities and the file-sharing websites and blogs ran away with this idea that these OVA and OAD episodes were actually part of some mysterious third season of the anime series. In an effort to try and get to the heart of the matter regarding these rumors, I did a lot of background research and have never, since 2007, been able to discover any news, information or anything official from TBS, Kodansha or Afternoon, where it concerns a third season. I'm not judging this on my personal knowledge but rather from several official online resources, something which these other websites, blogs and filesharing communities have not seen fit to cite official resources.

Everyone is free to comment about this but unless another website, blog or online resource can state where they heard their information from that a third season has been in production or that has ever been in production, dismiss it as nothing more than gossip, rumors, and speculation.

Official Resources:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com

http://www.tbs.co.jp/megamisama/

http://www.bookclub.kodansha.co.jp/comics/megami/

* note: there are more official online resources that I'll be adding

IonDragonX    6
IonDragonX

Back in January 2005, Kodansha began production and broadcast of the first season of the anime series, ...

When the second season was greenlit for production, the production team would jump straight into the second season ... The series would be broadcast later in 2005, into 2006. When the second season ended, the production team would take a hiatus from the anime series ...

2005 - 2006 was an awful long time ago. Every passing year deteriorates our chances of ever seeing a third season. An entire decade of waiting is not far around the corner, you know.

Edited by IonDragonX

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Ah! Thanks for pointing that error out to me, IonDragonX. I forgot to clarify that point. I was referring to the two OVA episodes that were episodes 23 and 24. I forgot to clarify that part of my post. I'll correct that portion of the post. The original post has now been corrected to reflect that.

But, as a point of clarification, Gohda-san did produce a somewhat "abridged" version of the manga series when he adapted it to anime form. There are many alterations in the anime from the manga version and Gohda-san combined different storyarcs together. This doesn;t even mention the fact that Gohda-san "skipped" over major portions of the manga series to produce an 'action-oriented' version of the anime. Dark Horse came under the same scrutiny for skipping over manga chapters and publishing the manga, originally, out of order.

For anyone who remembers when Dark Horse published the manga series in its flipped and "comic-book" styled format, there are a few of us who remember those early days.

Huge Anime Fan    0
Huge Anime Fan

I wish rumors where true and we could get a 3 season...

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Gohda-san has always stated that he wasn't finished with the anime series and that he's been wanting to return to adapt more of the manga. I think that these OAD/manga episodes, while they're great, are ruining any development for additional seasons. Be aware that this is only my personal opinion. But, I think that Kodansha needs to get a different director to take over the series and go back to adapting many of the chapters of the manga series that were originally skipped over.

webmonkey44    13
webmonkey44

the best thing about the first season i would say is they fleshed out kiechi better than in the anime intially. In the manga he wasnt so well characterized as early

Huge Anime Fan    0
Huge Anime Fan

It would be great if they adapted the manga chapters into anime and not do some random ones!

wewantseason3    0
wewantseason3

what would be the status of this season 3 now k?

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Unfortunately, we haven't heard anything yet. We have a pretty strong community and our members are pretty quick at trying to be the first ones to report about it here. The best to keep up to date is by checking out our forums first and then the homepage of our site. We've been serving the online AMG community for a long time and while a lot of our brother and sister sites have shut down, we still continue to provide our visitors and members with the most up-to-date information.

Right now, until the third season is greenlit for production, we can only hope for these sporadic semi-annual OAD episodes as they are released. :shappy:

zanji22    0
zanji22

mr.keichi is there by a chance they would create a season 3??

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Form what has previously been stated about the series, Hiroaki Gohda, the director for the anime series, has always said that he wants to continue the series. The problem lies with Kodansha and TBS. Not to mention the fact that Hidenori Matsubara, the character designed for the series, has been working on the 'Rebirth of Evangelion' movies for the past few years. Ultimately, it's up to Kodansha and TBS to decide when to greenlight a new season. Currently, Kodansha seems satisfied with the two OAD episodes per year format.

zanji22    0
zanji22

theyll planning a season 3 ??so if kodansha and tbs agreed then its done..by the way two oad episodes are going to be released?? i hope they continue the series..