Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Keiichi Morisato

Ah! My Goddess: Season 3, Separating Fact from Fiction

bejay53    7
bejay53
15 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Where can I currently get anime?

I believe season 2 is on Funimation. Season 1 you may be out of luck, since I do not know who has the license. As of now, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

The way I understand it, all licenses (except the second season) have expired and reverted back to the licensor for Japanese anime. I believe, although I can't be sure, that the licensor for Japanese anime is Sojitz. They license anime for studios to anime distributors in North America, Europe and other countries. But, far as petitions for new anime goes, they aren't as effective as anime fans think they might be. The way I understand it, anime studios work in concert with manga publishers whenever an anime studio desires to produce new anime for a series. What anime fans don't understand is that neither anime studios nor manga publishers consider petitions but rather whether market conditions would embrace a certain anime series. There are rarities like You're Under Arrest, which experienced a few years on hiatus and didn't involve any new anime production until after the success of the Ah! My Goddess series that was eventually released by Media Blasters, ADV Films and FUNimation.

Anime distributors aren't in the position of influencing how or when an anime is produced in Japan, they only license an already produced anime series and they rarely have any contact with the originating anime studio. They deal mainly with the anime licensor. Before an anime or a new anime season is produced, its the manga publisher that will often give the greenlight for a new anime production. Manga creators don't have any input on how the anime is adapted but they often have some form of production credit if the manga series is very popular, like Attack on Titan, Ah! My Goddess, Ranma 1/2, etc.

While social media and petitions are a good way to go, they often don't do any good in trying to spur an anime studio to produce an anime series. Petitions seem to only work mostly in the United States and the United Kingdom.

Ootaki    0
Ootaki

I see,i live in the United Kingdom and they are taken very seriously here perhaps i could host one on behalf of us? My Ip address would give them no reason to take it down.We could target it at Manga entertainment or Funimation themselves? 

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Personally, I just don't see the fascination with polls. The reason being is that they exist for nothing more than to make people feel good about themselves and they don't really bring about change. It doesn't matter what kind of poll you're doing, it just gives you an impression of what people think at the time they sign your petition. Opinions change almost constantly with anyone who gets involved in a petition. For instance, when Axanar created their short fan film "Prelude to Axanar", I enjoyed it. But, I had reservations about it when they decided to misappropriate the Star Trek property so they could make a full budget film. My opinion changed from support to condemnation against the studio who wanted to misappropriate a copyrighted popular science fiction franchise in order to build their movie studio. The same goes for just about every cause out there, when someone asks me to support something.

Starting a poll to bring about societal change, or to recall someone from public office is one thing but starting a poll to convince some studio to produce a movie or television series is another. The reason I feel this way is because polls don't reflect the majority, only a very small segment of the population. While Kickstarter-type programs have worked for anime studios like AnimEigo with Gunbuster and Bubblegum Crisis, that is a very rare thing because AnimEigo still retained the license to those anime properties and they received clearance from their licensor to go forward. With an anime series like Ah! My Goddess,, which has a haphazard licensing history in North America, and that plans are still with Kodansha and AIC Anime (broadcast on TBS), that's a much more different beast.

I was asked a few years ago about members donating to the site in an effort to fund an Ah! My Goddess anime series, continuing the series beyond the second season. For obvious reasons, while I understood and understand the need for this, I just felt that it wouldn't be a successful venture. I would love to support our members to donate to the site in favor of that and if our members were inclined to donate, I would rather such a venture be a fan project than a supported venture through the site (for obvious legal reasons). I would love for our members to get involved with fan-anime episodes, perhaps as a way to boost our site donations or serve as a motivating factor to increase our membership but that would take a lot of planning out. Our biggest issue right now is generating donations in advance, we're actually on a month to month hosting plan, which is how I have the site set up.

But, I'm open to discussing ideas on fan-anime, anime music videos, etc, on how to get our members more involved with the community.

winedrinkingcritic    20
winedrinkingcritic
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Keiichi Morisato said:

I was asked a few years ago about members donating to the site in an effort to fund an Ah! My Goddess anime series, continuing the series beyond the second season. For obvious reasons, while I understood and understand the need for this, I just felt that it wouldn't be a successful venture. I would love to support our members to donate to the site in favor of that and if our members were inclined to donate, I would rather such a venture be a fan project than a supported venture through the site (for obvious legal reasons). I would love for our members to get involved with fan-anime episodes.

I think my fan film video comic series experiment is a good warning story on why people shouldn't do a thing like this. It's something that everybody thinks that they want to do, but because nobody had really done it before, no one knew what the reaction was going to be like. I strongly felt that the series should exist because there was a certain passion hidden in some of the stories. But nobody really got to see that passion. Nobody supported the series because it was a work of fan fiction, and because it was made without proper permission from anybody. People checked out the first episode out of curiosity to see if it was a new animated series and then bailed on it entirely once they knew what it was and I eventually had to remove it from youtube and the fan sites to hide it because I got called out for it by a copyright owner. It was not a matter of whether the series was funny or not. The simple fact that it was made without permission automatically made people not want to look at it. But yeah, it was a nice experiment to see a fan made third season. And now we have some idea of what the reaction would be like.

Edited by winedrinkingcritic

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

I think that's misguided.  The thing is, Hiroaki Gohda has never exactly followed the outline of the manga series and has always adapted Ah! My Goddess to fit his own vision. For the animated film, he opted to create new characters just as he did with the anime series that we ended up seeing produced by the director. Just a look at his anime history reveals that he doesn't have a long history of anime under his belt. It does show even in his own work on the anime series, since he wasn't exactly used to producing a long anime series like that of Ah! My Goddess. he would work on a few episodes and then take a break as you can see the obvious change in the character designs and the direction of those episodes he didn't work on.

In the end, it isn't about what Fujishima-san wants. Ultimately, when a manga series is adapted into an anime series, the manga creator often doesn't have a voice in how his or her manga is adapted and anime directors often have a lot of leeway on how they adapt the anime. While manga creators like Fujishima-san do get some sort of credit in regards to the anime adaption of their work, it's typically the manga publisher and the anime studio who are pulling the strings.