Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
IdiAmeanDada

Chromecast

IdiAmeanDada    46
IdiAmeanDada

So I have a new toy. Picked up a Google Chromecast at Best Buy today. Here is a link: http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Basically, you plug this bad boy into an HDMI port, then using the USB cable included, you can then connect that to a USB port on your TV for power. If you do not have one, then it comes with an adapter to plug directly into power. After that, you install an app on your phone (android or iphone). It detects the Chromecast, and then allows you to configure it for your wireless network. Setup was super easy. With your phone connected to the same WiFi network, you can "send" movies from Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, and many other services from your phone to your TV! Talk about easy! I think this will be one of the first of many nails in the coffin of my cable service.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

I got one as well after the cords to hook up my tablet died. I gave my tablet to my mom.

IdiAmeanDada    46
IdiAmeanDada

Well, after a while, I ended up getting a Roku.  The Chromecast I had would only do 2.5GHz wireless, which was a lot slower.  It would throttle and buffer and sputter even though the wireless was literally in the same room.  The Roku on the 5GHz wireless was a lot better, and I liked having a remote and searching on the TV for things because then the entire family could join in on the searches.  I know that the current chromecasts can do both frequencies now, but the Roku is so superior we really have not considered going back. 

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Ah. Well, I didn't know about the Roku.

After the connecting cable died and I gave away my tablet, I had come down to two choices. Miracast and the Chromecast.

I let my sister choose. she chose Chromecast because we have an old TV.

Besides, the Chromecast is a rather cheap device, like 35-something dollars.

Though if I have enough when the chromecast dies, I'll probably switch to the Roku.