NOTICE: Please be aware that the status update widget in the sidebar has been repaired, for those who have been unable to use it lately. This message can be dissolved by clicking the 'x' in the far right corner of this message.

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Goddess Relief Office by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create your own image gallery and upload images
  • Post status updates and much more

vanagandr

Ah! The following day

494 posts in this topic

Another great chapter. Odal is now a whipped husband.

Although there is something that I just can't wrap my head around.

So Odal is Keiichi and Belldandy's kid, that I understand...but from what time period? That part kind of eluded me towards the middle there. I can't really tell if he is from the future or...the present? Does that even make sense?

The way it is, I think that it's hard to tell which exact time frame it is.

Although a bit of a spoiler, if you look back at Keiichi's 'ascension' you'll notice that Yggdrasil is a non linear being, capable of supervising countless timelines, with the 'present one being just a singular possibility. The reason why Odal (and the Dryads for that matter) is in the current one has to do with Yggdrasil too. Think of it as a similar case to Keiichi's, but with different circumstances. Also, I think I've mentioned it on an earlier chapter, but according to demons' analysis of him and the dryads, they're older than the 'present' universe, Meaning that wherever (or whenever) he came from, things had progressed much further than the current timeline. And the only hint I can give (which I think I've dropped somewhere in the story too) is that the reason he ended up here, is Nidhogg (the actual dragon, not the demons' computer).

The only reason I can't say that he's from the future is that in reality some things in his world were somewhat different even prior to the point where the events of AMG (the canon series) took place. But that's something I'll have to touch later in the story. I hope this kind of makes sense though.

Yeah, I want to know how Odal has Holy Bell.  Makes me wonder what Belldandy's fate was in the timeline he is from.  Does he also have Terrestrial Spark? 

Wait what? He has Holy Bell? How did I miss that part.

11 hours ago, IdiAmeanDada said:

Yeah, I want to know how Odal has Holy Bell.  Makes me wonder what Belldandy's fate was in the timeline he is from.  Does he also have Terrestrial Spark? 

That's something I'll briefly touch on the next chapter. After all, you don't expect that Holy Bell will be far too comfortable with Hagall so close to her, so she's going to make an appearance at some point. As for the reason... well... I think the manga provides the answer to that ;)

On the other hand, Terrestrial Spark didn't exist in Odal's timeline. Or rather... his egg was never given to Keiichi. And that's only one of the differences between the timelines.

Now... Belldandy is a totally different matter altogether, and while I can't quite answer that here (for spoilers), I'll point out that Verthandi does exist for a reason (she's not Belldandy or somehow associated with her, though).

5 hours ago, solopy567 said:

Wait what? He has Holy Bell? How did I miss that part.

It was a single reference I dropped at the latest chapter, so it's pretty easy to miss. As a matter of fact, I deliberately didn't make a huge deal about it, and left it there just to give a hint for the next chapter.

10 hours ago, vanagandr said:

It was a single reference I dropped at the latest chapter, so it's pretty easy to miss. As a matter of fact, I deliberately didn't make a huge deal about it, and left it there just to give a hint for the next chapter.

I saw it, even without him pointing it out in the Author's Notes at the end.  What did you read?  :blum:

On the other hand, Terrestrial Spark didn't exist in Odal's timeline. Or rather... his egg was never given to Keiichi. And that's only one of the differences between the timelines.

So, are we going to get a full accounting of Odal's timeline?  Did Keiichi even turn into a god in that one? 

12 hours ago, IdiAmeanDada said:

So, are we going to get a full accounting of Odal's timeline?  Did Keiichi even turn into a god in that one? 

Yes, that's definitely going to happen. Still, I don't want to suddenly throw a huge flashback arc, so I'll break that into a few parts and have it happen at the same time other things take place in the background (just to keep the readers up to date with what's happening with Keiichi and the rest of the main cast). As for Keiichi, the short answer is yes, although the circumstances were quite different in Odal's timeline. All I can say for now is that it's not a happy story.

I see, so I guess the best comparison we can have to Odal right now is well...Future Trunks. Coming from a bad future/timeline, and then went back in order to fix everything, and then making a whole new mess just because of his presence.

27 minutes ago, solopy567 said:

I see, so I guess the best comparison we can have to Odal right now is well...Future Trunks. Coming from a bad future/timeline, and then went back in order to fix everything, and then making a whole new mess just because of his presence.

I think the closest analogy (Mythologically speaking) is a survivor of Ragnarok coming to a similar, yet different world at the same time. I don't think that his initial concern was to fix anything, but rather to find something to get out of his early depression. Giving himself a task, as simple as such a thing sounds like is much better for him to focus on, rather than lamenting about what could've been in his own past. Sure, he doesn't really want things to go as bad as they did in his original world, but at this point it should be obvious to him that history here is different than back in his own world.

As such, his role could be considered as finished, but that still leaves him with the fact that he's stuck in a foreign world. So, the next thing for him is to find another reason to live for, and perhaps approaching his parents (and his aunts too) could help him heal some wounds. Of course it's going to take some coaxing from a few characters, but, during the next few chapters, I'll add some 'diary' entries where he explains things in further detail, and eventually that diary ends up in his parents' hands later on.

Still, he does play a role later on, along with  the main cast, but much of his knowledge is now useless ( personally, I don't want him to be a walking in-story spoiler). And the mess he did cause, although far less severe than the original situation he had to deal with in his time, does need to be addressed, even though some of the others (primarily Hild) try to convince him not to worry about it, and let them take over. 

From a totally different perspective, one of my goals with him, and the story in general is to showcase two very different outcomes for Keiichi and Belldandy's relationship. On one hand we have the current timeline where they're both alive (and with Keiichi being a god on top of it), and on the other, we have a place (alternative timeline) where they spent their lives together... although not forever, in the most literal of senses. I generally prefer making sure that they would stay together forever in my stories, and that means making Keiichi immortal in one way or another, but this is a way of trying something vastly different and binding it together with the happier outcome (current timeline) to provide a two-in one story (as well as give myself a main reason to keep the overall plot move forward). 

As a matter of fact, back when I started the story, I even considered having that Keiichi being the survivor and brought back to this world, but I soon talked myself out of it, since I didn't like the idea of having one version of Keiichi being alone, while another lived happily with Belldandy. The end result was to give this role to their son, and that's how Odal came to be. 

And considering that I've been going around the subject for too long, here's the first entry of that diary (since it doesn't show anything too spoiler-ish). There will be at least another in the next chapter, and a few more in the upcoming ones:

Odal’s diary, Entry 1

I don’t know why I’m writing this down, since I had no wish to remember that past. If nothing else, I often toyed with the idea or simply erasing my memories, just to ease of the burden I had to carry; or perhaps the guilt of knowing that back home… I was the last of my kind.

Nevertheless, Hagall convinced me to sit down and make a record of my memories, or at least the most important things I should leave behind for the immortals of this world to read, and hopefully learn something from the woes of their counterparts from a world that’s all but lifeless.

That world, which strongly resembles the one I’m currently living in, was the place I was born at. My parents were a fairly unusual couple, with one of them being a former mortal who was granted immortality by the Daitenkaicho himself for aiding the three Norns as they restored Hild back to her position, when her second in command staged a coup against her. An event that much to my surprise never happened in this world, since my father… declined the offer to become an artificial god, even for my mother’s sake. I have no idea why, but I suppose that several tiny differences here and there caused history to take another route in this word, but… I digress.

I’m not entirely certain when exactly I was born, since most celestials have a much slower growth rate, and by the time I have clear recollections of my early childhood, my parents had already relocated out entire home to Asgard. I often remember dad mentioning that if they hadn’t brought the temple with them, it would’ve been demolished, as overpopulation pushed mortals to use every bit of space available to them. And with the Tariki Hongan temple being a… temple only in name for several decades, there was no interest from the locals to preserve it, and chose that location to build an apartment complex. Either way, I have little recollection of the city my father referred to as Nekomi, since I was too young at the time, and even didn’t exist from the mortals’ point of view.

A child that refused to grow up for many years, several more than most humans needed to reach adulthood would’ve drawn a lot of unwanted attention, and as such, I was officially their ‘nephew’ with only a couple of mortals knowing the secret of my actual relation to my parents. Or even my parents’ true nature for that matter. One of those few individuals was my aunt, Megumi Morisato, who I can barely remember as kind old lady, but most of the others had to be kept in the dark. As such, my aunts took care of me while my parents were away at work, since they had to keep up the charade of a perfectly normal yet childless couple. But I cannot really complain, since both my aunts took good care of me, and my parents did their best to spend as much of their free time with me, often taking me to places far from Nekomi where no one knew us and we could function like a normal family.

Speaking of my aunts, it was Skuld who simply refused to let me out her sight whenever my mother was busy elsewhere. To the point where Urd often joked that I’d end up being more of her son than Belldandy’s; a claim which does actually have some merit, given that most of my hobbies have something to do with machines and other kind of devices. Then again, it could also be seen as something associated with my father’s own interests, although I never spent too much time around his workplace to develop a liking to Earth’s technology to the same degree I did with Skuld’s contraptions.

On the other hand, Urd did her best to teach me about human history, being the goddess of the past, as well as the eldest of the Norns. Which… may had more to do with letting me watch countless documentaries, all while she read trashy romance novels, and even played some handheld video games. Regardless, she was always aware of my actions and while I did try a few times to wander off, she would immediately sent her angel after me, followed by the terrible ‘punishmentof being cuddled by both of them. I must admit that I may have attempted to escape far too many times, just for the cuddles.

Those were happier days.

Congrats on the three year anniversary of this tale. 

Wonder how many more chapters are in this tale.

5 hours ago, grayfox123 said:

Congrats on the three year anniversary of this tale. 

Wonder how many more chapters are in this tale.

Back when I started writing this, I jokingly thought that I'd need 100 chapters or so to fully realize my original concept for this whole world. Since then I kind of found out that I was quite close to the actual number (give or take 10 chapters or so). although I don't think that I'm going to write all those chapters. Originally I wanted it to be a long arc (with several sub plots) and then, once the main plot was resolved, there would be an after story with a few arcs of it own, and finally an epilogue arc.

However, I think that I'm going to stop after the main story is over and offer an epilogue for this overall story. Then I'm going to reuse all the ideas I had for the afterstory, and combine them with some new ones to make a sequel. That way, there's going to be an epilogue after the story's climax, instead of dragging it for too long, and offer a new story based on this one. 

And to answer the original question, you can say that I'll probably need another year to finish this story.