Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Keiichi Morisato

Scientists Discover New Horror, Fracking Creates Manmade Earthquakes

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

Just what the hell is wrong with scientists? It's bad enough they spend their time trying to create new viruses, diseases and whatnot but when you get excited because you've discovered a way to artificially create earthquakes, then you've crossed the line between moral and unethical behavior. What am I talking about?

For the past few years, American companies have been experimenting with a process known as "fracking". This is where oil companies will inject chemicals deep into the Earth, looking for oil deposits deep within the Earth. Not only is this process highly controversial, which has generated heated arguments from environmentalists, but that it's recently created a new concern: that deep injection "fracking" is creating artificial earthquakes. Now, scientists are wondering if they could trigger quakes by increasing underground pressures and lubricating faults.

Oklahoma has recorded nearly 250 small-to-medium earthquakes since January, according to statistics kept by the U.S. Geological Survey. That's close to half of all the magnitude 3 or higher earthquakes recorded this year in the continental United States. More evidence shows that this fracking is creating 20% of these earthquakes and that scientists are intrigued that the process could be used to deliberately create earthquakes.

If scientists start digging deeper in experimenting with this, it could prove disastrous. Meaning that property owners who refuse to give up their homes when some corporations wants to buy the land for dirt cheap could simply use this process to force someone out of their home. The military could use the process to force citizens off the land they are living on ... and the process could be used as a weapon against an unsuspecting country.

When will scientists leave well enough alone? What makes this worse if that there have been, at least, five federal lawsuits filed contesting this method. I discovered the recent article posted here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/14/fracking-earthquake_n_5585892.html. But, I dug up information on the lawsuits through a Google search.

webmonkey44    13
webmonkey44

fracking when referenced in oz usually refers to coal seem gas extraction rather than oil and seems to have alot less problems providing they stay far away from argriculture. this oil fracking seems to be alot more destructive it seems

Celestin    3
Celestin

I read this earlier, but I wasn't sure how to respond. You are completely right, fracking is incredibly nonsense, especially so when there has been 2500 earthquakes in Oklahoma in the last five years...mostly because of fracking. But that said, I do condone them creating viruses and diseases because it usually leads to medical advances and whatnot by allowing them to study them in a research lab. Also, please don't be mean to all scientists, I'm going to be a future scientist :D

Sugoi    47
Sugoi

Well, just another reason why fracking should be prohibited. Unfortuntely, most people are entirely controlled by their greed and ignore the potential dangerous long term consequences at the expense of future generations.

Angelalex242    20
Angelalex242

It was greed when they just wanted oil.

But now that it does Earthquakes? Well, now we're talking military applications...weaponizing fracking intentionally. If they continue on this path, it is likely US Saboteurs will someday be able to create a 9.0 Earthquake under countries we don't like anymore. And anyone who doesn't die in the first one will likely be mopped up by the aftershocks.

When the military discovers new ways to kill people, there's usually no stopping them.

vanagandr    209
vanagandr

It is greed indeed, but realistically it can't do that much damage.

Yes, it can trigger earthquakes, but it doesn;t have the capacity to create them everywhere. There have to be certain requirements for the technique to work, like preexisting tectonic activity. It is also time consuming, expensive and very slow. It makes sense if there is mone out of it, but a weapon? Impractical at best, foolish at worst. There are much faster and cheaper ways to cause damage than that. A 9.0 Earthquake is very hard to be intentionally caused. Maybe triggered if there is already enough energy stored, but in order to generate all that, well... it's not easy. At best, it can cause a small to medium scale earthquake, but not a huge one.

Angelalex242    20
Angelalex242

That's only true so far. Once scientists start digging their brains into TRYING to cause earthquakes, they'll come up with ways to make them more powerful and more efficient. Remember, they'll have military funding.

And the point of causing earthquakes instead of dropping bombs?

"Oh, it was a TERRIBLE tragedy, that earthquake...what, us? No, we certainly didn't BOMB anyone..."

Sugoi    47
Sugoi

That's only true so far. Once scientists start digging their brains into TRYING to cause earthquakes, they'll come up with ways to make them more powerful and more efficient. Remember, they'll have military funding.

And the point of causing earthquakes instead of dropping bombs?

"Oh, it was a TERRIBLE tragedy, that earthquake...what, us? No, we certainly didn't BOMB anyone..."

Dunno, fracking requires some big hardware on site which would attract lots of attention and require too much time and resources to set up. Nowadays it's way more efficient to use hackers to sabotage or destroy critical facilities, infrastructure, etc from anywhere in the world. Or one could just hire or have third parties do the dirty work and deny any affiliation afterwards.

Zen    56
Zen

It does seem fracking ridiculous to continue using a practice that can cause earthquakes, to use BSG language...

Ojiisan7    56
Ojiisan7

It is friggin' ridiculous, to use OJS language.

DeLtA    8
DeLtA
On 7/14/2014 at 10:09 PM, Keiichi Morisato said:

If scientists start digging deeper in experimenting with this, it could prove disastrous.

Wait a sec! I don't think they're trying to trigger earthquakes, but they were trying to prove that fracking does, indeed, cause earthquakes -- in order to stop fracking. (lol, I left Oklahoma shortly before the fracking shenanigans started, and it was amazing to see all of my friends post stuff about earthquakes... I was like, wtf, earthquakes? In oklahoma?!)

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

I have to agree that it does sound ridiculous and almost like some nefarious plot you might find in a James Bond movie or some horrible SyFy cable movie. But this does wonder what would happen if this were possible and how it could be used to decimate entire populations of a specific region. For quite a number of years, I've been keeping my eye on this motion that the United Nations wants to engage in. I don't know how many of our members have heard about this but it's called "Agenda 21". It's basically an attempt by the United Stations to get member countries to engage in "population control" and a "land grab" allowing the United Nations and local governments to revoke property rights from its citizens.

During the past few years, many have been reporting this to be an insane conspiracy theory but the fact that Agenda 21 was actually a non-binding resolution passed by the United Nations in the 1990's adds fire to the conspiracy, much in the same way that Area 51, alien abductions and visitors from other planets have fueled conspiracy theories for many decades. It's just become so insane lately.