Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
vanagandr

Microsoft inserts Windows 10 installer through Windows Update

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

Okay, this had apparently happened a few days ago, and originally, I could hardly believe it. For those who had noticed the mysterious update KB 3035583, here's the actual description:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

At a first glance, it's rather unlikely to suspect what this thing is supposed to do, but in reality, it's a program to install Windows 10 to your system (either on your Windows 7 or 8). It seems that Microsoft is desperate enough that they're trying to find ways to nag you to upgrade in order to expand the market share of their newest OS after years of struggling to make Windows 8 popular. Still, I'm far from happy that they decided to pull something so dirty, given that the above description is so generic and doesn't actually explain what the update is supposed to do. Thankfully, there's a way to get rid of it, just like any other unwanted update. For more information, take a look at the links bellow:

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-update-silently-installs-windows-10-downloader-75647/

Also, here's a guide on how to remove it: http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

gdata1954    14
gdata1954

i like windows 7 its better then 8 or 10

webmonkey44    13
webmonkey44

i actually like this to be honest with you. most windows 8 users will be happy to see windows 8 in the trash i think. (for the record i dont mind windows 8 interface.) as long as you can still make a choice to have windows 10 thats fine with me.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954

i actually like this to be honest with you. most windows 8 users will be happy to see windows 8 in the trash i think. (for the record i dont mind windows 8 interface.) as long as you can still make a choice to have windows 10 thats fine with me.

i like 7 because its like xp and it was a good OS back in the days

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

Personally speaking, I do like that there's a free option for those who want to upgrade their Windows. My only objection is the way they went around it, giving the users a rather generic and not explanatory description of what the update was meant to do, and then moving it from the optional category to the critical (which installed it by default on many systems). In my opinion, this isn't a patch for either Windows 7 or 8, so, it shouldn't be described as a 'critical' patch. It should've remained in the optional category, and on top of that, users should've known what it was meant for (downloading Windows 10 on their systems).

webmonkey44    13
webmonkey44

im guessing they didnt want to spoil what it does until windows 10 is ready by giving a vague description but i agree marking it critical wasnt as smart as it could have been.

Sugoi    46
Sugoi
On 13.4.2015 at 10:09 PM, vanagandr said:

At a first glance, it's rather unlikely to suspect what this thing is supposed to do, but in reality, it's a program to install Windows 10 to your system (either on your Windows 7 or 8). It seems that Microsoft is desperate enough that they're trying to find ways to nag you to upgrade in order to expand the market share of their newest OS after years of struggling to make Windows 8 popular. Still, I'm far from happy that they decided to pull something so dirty, given that the above description is so generic and doesn't actually explain what the update is supposed to do. Thankfully, there's a way to get rid of it, just like any other unwanted update.

I'm glad that I generally don't use the automatic update feature in Windows. Caused me some problems in the past because of crappy updates...

I prefer tested update packs. Spares you the trouble of having to download the whole shebang all over again whenever reinstalling Windows. Plus no annoying reminders.

Btw, Win10 still seems to be crappy. Hear lots of people complaining about it being quite unreliable. Plus you'll have trouble running games/applications requiring Applocale (as it doesn't run on Win10 even though it's by MS...)

I'm going to stick with Win7 at least until the end of the support period (2020).

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
On 7/1/2016 at 11:45 PM, Sugoi said:

I'm glad that I generally don't use the automatic update feature in Windows. Caused me some problems in the past because of crappy updates...

I prefer tested update packs. Spares you the trouble of having to download the whole shebang all over again whenever reinstalling Windows. Plus no annoying reminders.

Btw, Win10 still seems to be crappy. Hear lots of people complaining about it being quite unreliable. Plus you'll have trouble running games/applications requiring Applocale (as it doesn't run on Win10 even though it's by MS...)

I'm going to stick with Win7 at least until the end of the support period (2020).

most likely people will make support packs on windows 7 like they did in xp

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

I'm just finally glad that the annoying "install Windows 10" crap is no longer appearing on my PC. While it never did auto-install, the stupid update would auto download, prompting me to install it. I would have to delete that update or remove it almost on a weekly basis. Thing is, I always have Microsoft Updates setup to "download updates, but don't install" so that I can choose and select which updates to install. But, I have noticed that whenever I install a major update, and when I reboot my system, I do occasionally get that full screen "we recommend that you install Windows 10" reminder. Microsoft needs to learn that you don't force software down the throats of your users. If someone doesn't want to use Windows 10, or some newer form of Windows, then they're not likely going to use it.

When Windows Vista was released, I had refused to upgrade to it, as I stuck with Windows XP for the longest time. While I've been using Windows 7 for the past five years, I've avoided upgrading to Windows 8 and 10 because I simply do not like the interface, or the GUI and the lack of control over the start menu. I prefer my OS to be simple and easy to use. But, ever since I heard that Windows 10 collects data routinely, even if you download torrent files from websites, I simply don't like that particular side of Microsoft, with their emphasis on collecting data from its users. They just want to sell your information and generate more money from it. I'm just shocked that they haven't been dragged into court over this or hauled into some sub-committee meeting on the issue.

Eventually, I'm going to be forced to purchase a new desktop and I'll be forced to use Windows 10. But, hopefully, that time is a little ways away.

Sugoi    46
Sugoi

Windows auto update is a total pain in the butt. In the past it occured to me several times that it caused my system's workload to skyrocket and staying at 100% even after a reboot making it impossible to do anything with the computer. Also MS released some buggy system crippling patches in the recent past.

That's why I have disabled the Windows update service. Also I have only been updating my system manually using update packs compiled by a trustworthy 3rd party. Which also a blessing if you have to do a clean install of Windows and update it.

39 minutes ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Eventually, I'm going to be forced to purchase a new desktop and I'll be forced to use Windows 10. But, hopefully, that time is a little ways away

Same here. I'm going to stick with Win 7 at least till its support expires in January 2020.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Exactly. I don't allow Windows Update to install automatically. I learned a while back to enable Windows Update but that I like to take full control of what's being updated on my desktop. I think after the Windows 10 forced install happened, that I disabled Windows Update but that I had it set, and have continued to have it set, so that Windows notifies me when an update is available but that no updates download or install until I select them. Thing is, even Microsoft realizes it made a major mistake, especially after having to compensate users who were adversely affected by that update. Some users saw their desktops and laptops "bricked" because of Windows 10, while some experienced major crashes resulting from the BSoD (blue screen of death). That BSoD uis something I'm intimately familiar with since I've had it happen to me with Windows ME, Windows 98 and Windows 3.1. It's not something you want to personally experience.

1 minute ago, Sugoi said:

Windows auto update is a total pain in the butt. In the past it occured to me several times that it caused my system's workload to skyrocket and staying at 100% even after a reboot making it impossible to do anything with the computer. Also MS released some buggy system crippling patches in the recent past.

That's why I have disabled the Windows update service. Also I have only been updating my system manually using update packs compiled by a trustworthy 3rd party. Which also a blessing if you have to do a clean install of Windows and update it.

Same here. I'm going to stick with Win 7 at least till its support expires in January 2020.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
On 6/30/2017 at 10:37 AM, Sugoi said:

for me windows 7 will my main OS for years even after 2020