Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Ah! My Goddess Omnibus Discussion

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

That's nice. I've been slowly getting back into things with the site, in regards to posting more news, after spending so much time working on the site. It's nice to see members of our community still purchasing the revised manga volumes.

Imaginos1892

I have not found any information on Omnibus Volume 7 but based on 1 -> 6 it should be out sometime between February and May 2018. Or so we would hope. Chapters 105 up to 120 or so.

At this rate it will take them another 6 years to publish all 16 Omnibus Volumes.

Keiichi Morisato

The publishing schedule seems to be a bit off. There were being published every four months, but the last two volumes had an odd scheduling. The release date between Volume 5 and Volume 6 was nearly 12 months and there is no release date for the seventh volume. I'm starting to think that maybe Dark Horse was in negotiation to renew their publishing license for Oh My Goddess. From the way I understand it, Dark Horse has to renew their licenses for the manga they translate and publish every few years. Dark Horse ran into publishing SNAFU's like this back when they were publishing the manga series as a monthly comic book, and again when they were publishing the 'unflipped" tankouban manga. It's obvious that Dark Horse has ran into one of the types of delays with the OMNIBUS editions. Hopefully, I can dig up some information regarding this.

Tasuke

Ah%20My%20Goddess%20Collection%2011-25-1

so, i chanced upon Omnibus vol.1 at my local BARNES AND NOBLE a couple/three weeks back.

after putting the original manga off for so long, i figured that this was finally the time to commit to it.

Fujishima's character design was indeed pretty flaky in these early chapters,

but it's nice to see that he began to pick up nicely about halfway in to this first 23 chapter omnibus volume, with Bell-chan often looking singularly charming.

one particularly interesting tidbit; Chapter 2, page 43; my own LD Player, the 1988 PIONEER CLD-3030, or more accurately, the Japanese-market model it was derived from, the 1987 CLD-99S.

Fujishima had quite the eye for detail,  and as a die-hard vintage Audio/Video enthusiast, this chapter really tickles my fancy;

Ah%20My%20Goddess%20Collection%2011-25-1

CLD-99S%2011-25-17.jpg

CLD-3030JOHN11-18-131_zpsd895682f.jpg

Edited by Tasuke

Keiichi Morisato

if you think the earlier chapters of Oh My Goddess were rough where it concerns the manga, you should check out the earlier artwork in his earlier series, You're Under Arrest, like the first dozen or so chapters of the series. It's really bad. I'm actually waiting for a response from Anime News Network about the status of future OMNIBUS volumes for Oh My Goddess.

01.png06.png

Tasuke

guess he always was really good with details. character's faces, however, seemed to be something he just didn't quite master until he was well into AMG.

a dozen-odd chapters in, and he was really beginning to knock 'em out of the park, particularly female characters.

right about halfway or so into OMNIBUS vol.1; now THAT's the Belldandy i fell in love with twenty-odd years ago...

AMG%20Chap.%2015%20p.56.png

Edited by Tasuke

Keiichi Morisato

Well, just like every artist, whether it's an American comic artist, Japanese manga artist or a comic strip artist ... their artwork is always evolving.  If you take a look at the artwork of Jim Davis with his Garfield comic strip or even Bill Watterson who drew the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip ... you can see a definite change in their art style over the years. Garfield looked more like a tomcat rather than the short and compacted feline we know today. I know that Fujishima-san's art-style has been debated a lot in these forums as to whether his art-style is natural or rather he had someone assisting him. But, what many fans don't know is that Fujishima-san's style has evolved over the past 30 years of drawing manga. From his days on You're Under Arrest all the way through the recent Toppu GP.

Tasuke
11 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Well, just like every artist, whether it's an American comic artist, Japanese manga artist or a comic strip artist ... their artwork is always evolving.  If you take a look at the artwork of Jim Davis with his Garfield comic strip or even Bill Watterson who drew the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip ... you can see a definite change in their art style over the years. Garfield looked more like a tomcat rather than the short and compacted feline we know today. I know that Fujishima-san's art-style has been debated a lot in these forums as to whether his art-style is natural or rather he had someone assisting him. But, what many fans don't know is that Fujishima-san's style has evolved over the past 30 years of drawing manga. From his days on You're Under Arrest all the way through the recent Toppu GP.

as a long time amateur graphic artist, i fairly understand where you're coming from. i did this about 20 years back,  -"Princess Ayeka" from 1992's "Tenchi Muyo"-

and she's about a fine a job as i ever have managed to do, more recent efforts not even coming close, IMHO;

Princess_Ayeka_Misaki_Undies_by_Shaorin_

Keiichi Morisato

Just a brief update. it's been about two weeks and I haven't heard anything back from Anime News Network so I fired off an email to Dark Horse Comics, the publisher of the manga series. Typically, it takes them anywhere from 24 hours to as long as a few days, to respond. I'm hoping to have an answer on where the Omnibus volumes are at and when to expect the new volumes. I'm still thinking that their license for the manga series is held up, which has happened before. But, with any luck, I can get an answer as to when to expect new volumes of the manga series, possibly by this Friday. But, I'll keep everyone updated on where the publishing schedule sits for the manga series.

Keiichi Morisato

Okay, I did receive an update from Dark Horse Comics in regards to the OMNIBUS volumes of the manga series. Judy responded to my inquiry as to whether there were more volumes forthcoming and she confirmed that there were. However, they do not have a timeline for their release dates for the forthcoming volumes. The series is not cancelled, they simply don't have a time-table for their release. Judy simply asked for fans to keep checking the Dark Horse website for any announcements.

I do appreciate Judy at Dark Horse Comics for responding back to my email so quickly. I'll report back just as soon as the next volume is announced for release.