Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Zen

Paradise Residence manga ends in March issue

Zen    53
Zen

This article at ANN says that the March issue of Afternoon magazine has the final chapter of Paradise Residence and Fujishima-sensei will be starting a new series this spring. (I presume it will also be in Afternoon.) It also states that he will be returning to the Tales of series as the character designer for Tales of Berseria, which will be released on Playstation 3 and 4 in Japan this year and will eventually be released in North America and Europe on Playstation 4 and PC.

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

That's quite the development actually. I was aware that his new series didn't get as much attention as AMG, but to see it end this soon is a bit of a shame really.

The big question is what the new series is going to be based around, although I doubt that he's going to try something very similar to Paradise Residence or a pure slice of life series without too much of a background story to grab the readers' attention.

Regardless of that, I'm looking forward to see the new series from Mr. Fujishima.

Mrshoujo    4
Mrshoujo

Wow, only 3 tankoubon for a series that I heard about only recently, just to find out he's been writing it since 2008, more or less. I would love to have the rest of his You're Under Arrest! manga published in its entirety, actually.

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

If you take a look at the manga work that Fujishima-san has created, You're Under Arrest, Ah! My Goddess and Paradise Residence, you'll notice these were all shoujo manga titles. It would be interesting to see Mr. Fujishima tackle a science fiction, fantasy or robotics manga series. But, I think it would be fortuitous if he returned to Ah! My Goddess and either continued the manga series or create a spin-off series. Personally, I would like to see him bring back You're Under Arrest, since the original manga series had a short run before he started his run with Ah! My Goddess. There were only eight volumes of You're Under Arrest published before that series came to an end. There's also the benefit of going back and updating the artwork on the earlier chapters of Ah! My Goddess.

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

Realistically speaking, AMG is hands down the most successful and recognizable series Mr. Fujishima had ever made (although, I don't mean that the others aren't any good). From a purely financial point of view, a sequel (perhaps with the Keiichi and Bell's kids), or even a spin off could ensure an almost certain success for him until he retires. Additionally with the manga ending only recently, it makes sense to rely on that, instead of a much older series that many of his current fans had never really heard of (at least the manga, as there was a lot more anime episodes compared to AMG).

As for going back to update the early chapters of AMG? It would've been nice, but in a way, I doubt that it counts as a new series. Still, anything related to AMG (sequel or spin off) does count as something new and as such, it's possible.

Now, to point out for everyone who might be reading this, there's no official information about any plans for any continuation of AMG, so please don't quote any of the comments here as a confirmation for anything of that kind. Until Paradise Residence ends, we won't know for sure what Mr. Fujishima's plans for the future are and that probably might not have to do with AMG at all (even if I really wish that he does picks up the series again and tries something a bit different with it).

Urd    46
Urd

If he would return to AMG it would be awesome. But unfortunatly, i don't think that is the case. They're prolly going for something completely new.

Shame.

Would be so cool to see an AMG continuation  :(

gdata1954    14
gdata1954

i had a feeling it wont reach 25 years

bejay53    7
bejay53

It seems like another unfinished effort. I can't see how he will wrap this one up.

There is still plenty of room to expand this series.

Maybe that is the problem.

Ether101 Prime    22
Ether101 Prime

I think the problem is that there wasn't any hook to the series. I get that the main character was supposed to lack focus but it would have been nice if she had some kind of goal or something to strive for.

On a related note, does anyone know what happened to the team translating this series? They've fallen behind again more so then normal.

vanagandr    201
vanagandr
3 hours ago, Ether101 Prime said:

I think the problem is that there wasn't any hook to the series. I get that the main character was supposed to lack focus but it would have been nice if she had some kind of goal or something to strive for.

On a related note, does anyone know what happened to the team translating this series? They've fallen behind again more so then normal.

While I agree with you, I think that an even bigger problem was the fact that Mr Fujishima's fans expected something more similar to AMG and how engaging that was. While it never had the deep story behind it, AMG had an atmosphere that attracted the audience from very early on, and for the most part, everyone wanted to see that on Paradise Residence too. While the latter wasn't a bad series, the somewhat slow start and the inevitable comparisons to its predecessor, killed a lot of people's interest.

The same is true about the publisher's expectations in terms of the financial success of the series, putting a lot more pressure to the author. I just hope that Mr Fujishima will come up with a more broadly accepted series now, as a repetition of what happened with Paradise Residence can be really demolishing for him.

8 hours ago, bejay53 said:

It seems like another unfinished effort. I can't see how he will wrap this one up.

There is still plenty of room to expand this series.

Maybe that is the problem.

My best guess is by wrapping up the current crisis with the dorm and then perhaps a flash forward to the girls' graduation. I just hope it won't feel way too rushed given that it's going to happen in two chapters.

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

The problem is that the manga just didn't clique with manga fans in the same way that You're Under Arrest and Ah! My Goddess did. Personally, I'd like to see Mr. Fujishima tackle a sci-fi or fantasy series.

bejay53    7
bejay53
14 hours ago, vanagandr said:

. I just hope it won't feel way too rushed.......

Like another series we all know and love!?