SUPPORT: We're in the middle of the donation drive for the site. If you're able to help support our community by sending a donation to the site, please use the Paypal donation sidebar feature. Remember, your support helps keep us funded and allows us to provide our community with features such as an image hosting gallery, community forums and more.

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Goddess Relief Office by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create your own image gallery and upload images
  • Post status updates and much more

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grayfox123

Belldandy, Keiichi and the inevitable future of their relationship.

13 posts in this topic

Eventually, the time would come when the inevitable would happen, and Keiichi would leave this mortal plane ,leaving behind a lot of sad people, especially a certain goddess.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen to Belldandy when Keiichi eventually dies.Yes, they appear at the end of the manga to have bravely accepted  the inevitable end of their relationship(something which I admire greatly) ,and yes Peorth says ''we never forget'' but acceptance is one thing, actually living it is another.

Will Belldandy  retreat into sorrow,or would she find some way of going on without her beloved Keiichi?

I think that the series hinted a possibility where Keiichi can avoid his inevitable fate as a mortal. The introduction of the Lake Goddess and even Tyr's direct offer to make him a god of some description and by extend an immortal leaves us with the possibility that he may eventually choose that over death; if nothing, to avoid breaking Belldandy's heart.

Now, why the author did that and yet chose Keiichi to remain a mortal?

Well... since the manga was all about the relationship of a goddess and a mortal, it was fitting to end like that. Still, we do know that there is an alternative though and that should be enough for us to consider as an alternative.

However, even if he chose to remain a mortal to the very end, I think that Belldandy would remain strong enough and carry on his memory. Her comments when the Lake Goddess lost is was that this wasn't what her lover wished and to an extend the same is most likely true for Keiichi and her. It's definitely not going to be easy, but carrying his memory alive with her is something that would be fitting for a goddess like Belldandy.

19 hours ago, vanagandr said:

I think that the series hinted a possibility where Keiichi can avoid his inevitable fate as a mortal. The introduction of the Lake Goddess and even Tyr's direct offer to make him a god of some description and by extend an immortal leaves us with the possibility that he may eventually choose that over death; if nothing, to avoid breaking Belldandy's heart.

Now, why the author did that and yet chose Keiichi to remain a mortal?

Well... since the manga was all about the relationship of a goddess and a mortal, it was fitting to end like that. Still, we do know that there is an alternative though and that should be enough for us to consider as an alternative.

However, even if he chose to remain a mortal to the very end, I think that Belldandy would remain strong enough and carry on his memory. Her comments when the Lake Goddess lost is was that this wasn't what her lover wished and to an extend the same is most likely true for Keiichi and her. It's definitely not going to be easy, but carrying his memory alive with her is something that would be fitting for a goddess like Belldandy.

I agree.

Though thinking more about it, perhaps Keiichi eventually might have to come up against the choice between being a mortal and  going immortal when his life nears its end largely because he may not want to make Bell unhappy. But being immortal leads to the added complication of watching mortal friends made over the years pass on,while you remain, and that might cause some sorrow on Keiichi's part. Remaining mortal might also be hard on bell.

It is a very hard and tough choice. Perhaps if the manga is re-started, we could get an arc looking at Keiichi at the end of his life thinking about such a decision.Mortality or immortality.? It may have been an easy thing to make the decision to reject Tyr's offer.....and yes, Bell could live on with Keiichi's memories....but i somehow think that it is going to be a tough decision eventually.

Oh, it's definitely not an easy choice, that's for sure.

If Keiichi hesitates about becoming an immortal on the grounds of leaving his friends and the rest of his family behind (i.e. Megumi), then it must be fairly obvious to him how Belldandy feels about the whole subject. As a young man, it's unlikely for him to think about his death, but once he starts getting older, he might end up pondering about this.

However, another really important factor is whether or not Belldandy and Keiichi can have children. Considering that she's a 10D being while Keiichi is  3D one, it's unlikely for them to have any kids. After all, the only other goddess/mortal couple in the series were never shown to have any, despite that we do know that they weren't celibate. If becoming a god could solve this practical problem, then I guess it's another thing for Keiichi to consider.

Yet, even if they could have children and we assume that they're more like their mother (immortal), that would make it even harder, since not only he was going to leave Belldandy behind, but their kids too.

Still, it's a whole new topic to tackle so late in the manga, especially at a point where Mr. Fujishima was trying to wrap the series up and decided to go with the most sensible solution. Finish it like it started (a goddess and a mortal), and yet provide an option for them to avoid being separated by Keiichi's inevitable death. For all the fans who want them to stay together forever, there's a solution offered by the author himself and therefore it is cannon as far as anyone is concerned.

To be honest if the story was to continue, I think that Keiichi would've taken the offer. Not to gain immortality, magical powers or any other benefit from being a god, but to do his part in keeping his promise to Belldandy: stay with her forever.

The official translation and the scanlation gave me different impressions. The latter implied that Keiichi would desire it and the former that he would never waver and therefore he and Tyr would never again interact.

The true wild card however is Belldandy. She did not want Keiichi to strive for immortality but may never tell him why. We don't know why. The worrisome thing is that the Lake goddess had acted like she would be OK but then wasn't.

The Lake Goddess and the Poet never had children so it sounds like the two species are not normally cross-fertile.

Keiichi never die. In some décades, human beings will discover immortality recipe. We are close now.

Edited by ceroxon

2 hours ago, ceroxon said:

Keiichi never die. In some décades, human beings will discover immortality recipe. We are close now.

And that would be great!.

But that does not answer the question about whether Keiichi himself wants to live forever...or for a very very long time...even if science made it possible.

In the film ''Bicentennial Man''...Portia, the love interest of Robin William's character in the film..Andrew...the eponymous bicentennial man(robot)...even though her life has been prolonged by her significant other's inventions...still expresses a wish to die. This leads Andrew to eventually request to be declared a human...and to die as one, along with Portia .

Even then...it was not an easy decision.As Andrew finds out in the film....not everyone wants to live forever , even if it is possible.

I wish your scenario happened (as well as a possible one where Belldandy became human and lived with her Keiichi for the rest of their mortal lives)...but it is going to be one difficult decision.

Edited by grayfox123

On 3/11/2016 at 8:42 AM, vanagandr said:

Oh, it's definitely not an easy choice, that's for sure.

If Keiichi hesitates about becoming an immortal on the grounds of leaving his friends and the rest of his family behind (i.e. Megumi), then it must be fairly obvious to him how Belldandy feels about the whole subject. As a young man, it's unlikely for him to think about his death, but once he starts getting older, he might end up pondering about this.

However, another really important factor is whether or not Belldandy and Keiichi can have children. Considering that she's a 10D being while Keiichi is  3D one, it's unlikely for them to have any kids. After all, the only other goddess/mortal couple in the series were never shown to have any, despite that we do know that they weren't celibate. If becoming a god could solve this practical problem, then I guess it's another thing for Keiichi to consider.

Yet, even if they could have children and we assume that they're more like their mother (immortal), that would make it even harder, since not only he was going to leave Belldandy behind, but their kids too.

Still, it's a whole new topic to tackle so late in the manga, especially at a point where Mr. Fujishima was trying to wrap the series up and decided to go with the most sensible solution. Finish it like it started (a goddess and a mortal), and yet provide an option for them to avoid being separated by Keiichi's inevitable death. For all the fans who want them to stay together forever, there's a solution offered by the author himself and therefore it is cannon as far as anyone is concerned.

To be honest if the story was to continue, I think that Keiichi would've taken the offer. Not to gain immortality, magical powers or any other benefit from being a god, but to do his part in keeping his promise to Belldandy: stay with her forever.

btw she is have of the 3d in her as we do since that i say i that could say in a computing words she is backwards comparable with him

The way I look at it is that with the wish that was granted in chapter 277, I think that not even Yggdrasil nor the Almighty could undo that particular wish without severe consequences. IN the end, I think that rather than allow Belldandy to become emotionally unstable that the Almighty could very well grant Keiichi the option of immortality, to remain with Belldandy in Heaven should his health ever be compromised.

Another clue is from the movie where Belldandy tells Celestine that she wants to suffer and grow old with the humans.

Still another is from the manga where Peorth tells Keichii that goddesses don't die. If I understand his response correctly he seems horrified that they must spend eternity always saying goodbye.

I think death is redundant in the Oh My Goddess universe. If Belldandy is a Goddess from Heaven, then why would She and Keiichi and be separated when he died? Also, you're not thinking interdimensionally gremlin; the reason Keiichi chose mortality is because Kosuke Fujishima was in a relationship with a twenty year old, and if he couldn't escape the fate of out-aging his own girlfriend/future wife, then he wouldn't allow his OMG counterpart Keiichi to escape that fate either. That's assuming he was in a relationship with her at the time he wrote that story. That's my theory anyways.

Well, when it comes to "Heaven", I don't think it's the same in the Ah! My Goddess universe as it exists in people's spiritual beliefs. Just remember that the anime and manga is based on Japanese or rather Asian culture. Fans of the series may think that it's based on Western culture, is all I'm saying about it. Death exists in the anime and manga series. I think people assume that the goddesses can retard the aging process where it concerns Keiichi and I don't think that's true at all. I think it's Yggdrasil that slows the aging process for Belldandy, Urd and Skuld and the rest of the goddesses and unless Keiichi is a "God", then I don't see Keiichi's aging process being slowed down like that.