Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

How did you get introduced to Japanese anime?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

I was much in the same position, @Imaginos1892. I remember watching Speed Racer every morning before my mom would get me ready for school, that was my ritual. Then, along came Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, Tranzor Z, Robotech, Ronin Warriors. This was back before I knew what anime was. It wasn't until the mid-80's when I started working and started collecting and watching subtitled anime, which anime wasn't dubbed for anime released on videotapes.To this day, even though I now watch dubbed anime, there are some subtitled anime that I can't stand watching as dubbed. Such as the Gunbuster: Aim for the Top, the original OVA series. I've only ever watched that as a subtitled anime and I still can;t watch the English dubbed version. But it wasn't until I was introduced to the English dubbed version of Oh My Goddess, the original OVA series, that I became addicted to anime and the manga series.

HotelKatz

Early morning, like 4 or 5 AM. I was like 5 and it was the early 90's.

First episode of Dragon ball, followed by the first episode of Sailor Moon R.

Both stood out to me for a long time because of probably the same reason for a lot of you. 

They were different.

But I never really sat down to watch anime until Tenchi Muyo came to Toonami. By then, I was a teenager and I thought Ryoko and Ayeka were pretty hot.

As for Manga, my first one was A!MG and the chapter was Peorth's introduction chapter.

• Like 1

Keiichi Morisato

Yeah. I started watching Speed Racer in the early 70's. My mom would always wake me up every morning around 6am to watch my favorite show. Back then, six year old children didn't know what anime was and all I know was that I liked the series. It was just my habit every morning. On Saturdays and Sundays, me, my brother and my dad would always watch Godzilla and samurai movies as a family. It's one of the fond memories I have of my dad. To this day, Speed Racer does remain my favorite anime series. Even though there are now lots of good anime out there, nothing ever beats your first anime experience.

• Upvote 1