Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Jump to content
Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

How did you get introduced to Japanese anime?

Recommended Posts

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

I have to say that I never knew what Japanese anime was. But I do remember that someone I was associated with had allowed me to borrow some Japanese anime bootleg VHS tapes that he had acquired. While they were some of the most boring anime that I had ever watched, it was my first introduction to anime, even though I couldn't understand the language. The film was the "Urusei Yatsura" movie "Beautiful Dreamer". The story for the film just seemed to be long, boring and drawn out. But, after that experience, I started getting into translated manga when the first manga was licensed for release. Back then, I was reading Akira (Marvel Epic), Appleseed (Eclipse International) and Pineapple Army (Eclipse International). Around that time, the first subtitled anime was licensed and released in the mid-80.'s with such anime as Gunbuster, Dangaio, Area 88, Grey, Appleseed, Dominion, Black Magic.

 

Since then, I have watched hundreds of thousands of hours of anime and I remember a lot of anime that most anime fans have never seen before, most of which has seen their licensed revert back to the original Japanese studios. But, the one fond memory I have is of watching an anime film called "Warriors of the Wind", which was a badly dubbed and edited version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Before then, I would have to say the very first anime I ever watched was Speed Racer, way back during the 1970's. My mom would get me up every morning at 6am to watch that show. It still remains one of my favorite shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

My introduction to Anime was when I woke up early in the morning one day as a 6 year old. I watched the first episode of Dragon Ball (As in, the very first one, where Goku met Bulma) And an episode of Sailor Moon (It was the first Episode of the Second season, with Ail and An.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grayfox123    133
grayfox123

(Have said this elsewhere...but it is worth telling again).

 

I have had two introductions to anime.

 

My first introduction to anime was as a seven year old while living in a European country  due to my dad doing some post doc research at a university there. That European country happens to be a big ''anime country''...and  i and the siblings watched lots of anime while there....until my dad's research work came to an end...and it was back to my home country (Nigeria)..where finding anime on local tv is still....difficult.

 

My second introduction to anime happened on a pleasant Saturday morning five years ago..when I turned on  the television in my student flat in the UK (where i was doing a masters)...and watched a Lupin the Third movie (The castle of Cagliostro).

 

The rest...as they say, is history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

Topics like this, that get resurrected or recreated, allow newer members as well as those members who don't post and encourage them to contribute ot the forums by sharing their experiences.

 

But, it's funny that you mention Castle of Cagliostro. It's always had a sentimental effect on me since it was one of the very first anime films I had ever watched. I remember it fondly because Hayao Miyazaki was involved in the production of the anime film. His creative style can be seen all over that film. It's also one of the reasons why Lensmen: Secret of the Lens also remains on my list of most favorite anime films. These films were released as licensed anime back in the 80.'s and 90's. It's just been a long while since I've watched either film. Lensmen remains unavailable for purchase on home video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
elgordo    10
elgordo

First anime I remember watching? "Astro Boy" on tv in the early 1960s.

 

It was so... so... different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ehbowen    6
ehbowen
On 6/20/2016 at 10:58 PM, elgordo said:

First anime I remember watching? "Astro Boy" on tv in the early 1960s.

 

It was so... so... different.

 

Ditto here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ojiisan7    55
Ojiisan7
On 6/16/2016 at 7:25 PM, Keiichi Morisato said:

I have to say that I never knew what Japanese anime was. But I do remember that someone I was associated with had allowed me to borrow some Japanese anime bootleg VHS tapes that he had acquired. While they were some of the most boring anime that I had ever watched, it was my first introduction to anime, even though I couldn't understand the language. The film was the "Urusei Yatsura" movie "Beautiful Dreamer". The story for the film just seemed to be long, boring and drawn out. But, after that experience, I started getting into translated manga when the first manga was licensed for release. Back then, I was reading Akira (Marvel Epic), Appleseed (Eclipse International) and Pineapple Army (Eclipse International). Around that time, the first subtitled anime was licensed and released in the mid-80.'s with such anime as Gunbuster, Dangaio, Area 88, Grey, Appleseed, Dominion, Black Magic.

 

Since then, I have watched hundreds of thousands of hours of anime and I remember a lot of anime that most anime fans have never seen before, most of which has seen their licensed revert back to the original Japanese studios. But, the one fond memory I have is of watching an anime film called "Warriors of the Wind", which was a badly dubbed and edited version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Before then, I would have to say the very first anime I ever watched was Speed Racer, way back during the 1970's. My mom would get me up every morning at 6am to watch that show. It still remains one of my favorite shows.

'Hundreds of thousands' of hours?? I doubt that. Assuming a total of 200,000 hours (the minimum of 'hundreds of thousands'), and watching 12 hours of anime every day continuously (very generous), it would take (200,000 ÷ 12 ÷ 365) = about 46 years to watch 200,000 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sugoi    46
Sugoi
7 hours ago, Ojiisan7 said:

'Hundreds of thousands' of hours?? I doubt that. Assuming a total of 200,000 hours (the minimum of 'hundreds of thousands'), and watching 12 hours of anime every day continuously (very generous), it would take (200,000 ÷ 12 ÷ 365) = about 46 years to watch 200,000 hours.

Looks like your cover has been blown, Methuselah! :biggrin:

 

Btw., do you mind sharing your secret with a spring chicken like me? ^_~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

Ojiisan, there is a lot that neither our members nor our community is aware about me. Before licensed anime was ever released in the United States for distribution (back when dubbed anime was an abhorrent idea for distributors), I had been watching a lot of anime via the underground bootleg community. Many fans aren't aware of this, but in the early 1980's, bootleg anime was distributed among underground anime clubs where you could obtain anime through these clubs for just the cost of postage and a blank VHS tape. For a few years, I watched a lot of raw anime through these clubs and through local anime fans who obtained copies of various anime.

 

Then, around the mid-1980's, the first of many licensed anime started to appear. These were often around about a few titles being released a few at a time. Grey 19, Riding Bean, Dangaioh, Gunbuster, Madox-01 and many other anime. Since the early 1980's, I have watched more anime films, shows, OVAs, specials that many anime fans have never heard of. From such anime as Orguss, Windaria, Madox-01, Bubblegum Crisis (the original OVA series), Vampire Princess Miyu, Dirty Pair, Galactic Patrol Lensmen, Ronin Warriors, Zillion, Record of Lodoss War, Mobile Police Patlabor, Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road and many others. There are just too many to list.

 

The one thing with me is that I've continuously watched anime since the early 1980's, even go as far back as the 1970's when I used to wake up every morning and watch Speed Racer, Tranzor Z, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot and many others. I've been watching anime for nearly my entire life so let's just say the sheer amount of anime that I have actually watched is far superior to anyone else's viewing habits. Now, I may have exaggerated just a bit by stating 200,000 hours but that it's pretty damn close from 100,000 to 200,000 hours of anime viewing. I've posted about the sheer amount of anime I have watched over my lifetime and it's pretty damn extensive and a lot of this anime I have watched numerous times and on repeated viewings.

 

Hell, just Ah! My Goddess and You're Under Arrest alone, I have watched dozens of times straight through, with 50 episodes per each series. Compare the sheer amount of anime I have watched over a period of over 35 years and that's a lot of anime over a long period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

If you have a story to share on how you were introduced to anime, we'd like to hear all about it, so post your story here. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Board Life Status


Board startup date: December 12, 2004 13:15:32
×