Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Nena Camadera

Scarred Survivors

1,616 posts in this topic Last Reply

Nena Camadera

It's all the family members, to include the one member that's been spoken of, but not introduced in the story yet. All of them are family nicknames. 

Imaginos1892

There are 6 Morisatos:
Keima
Takano
Keiichi
Megumi
Aiko
Keigo

Keiichi wouldn’t be tracking himself, so that leaves 5. He's got 4 entries.

Nena Camadera

I'm aware. Megumi isn't on that list because of her job. She keeps her work confidential due to the sensitivity of those parties involved, abd as such never got on the trackmi list. She doesn't like social media and hiw easy it is to find other people, so you won't even find her on sites like Twitter or Facebook. Her organization, yes, but not Megs herself. 

IdiAmeanDada

Or it could be we were just trying to confuse you. 

Imaginos1892
2 hours ago, IdiAmeanDada said:

Or it could be we were just trying to confuse you. 

Oh, I never had any doubt about that.

2 hours ago, Nena Camadera said:

I'm aware. Megumi isn't on that list because of her job. She keeps her work confidential due to the sensitivity of those parties involved, and as such never got on the trackmi list. She doesn't like social media and how easy it is to find other people, so you won't even find her on sites like Twitter or Facebook. Her organization, yes, but not Megs herself. 

So, how does a Japanese woman get herself involved with a group called 'BACA'? (which must be pronounced 'BAKA') :tongue:

And now for something completely different: Did you lot know this is one of the 2 or 3 most active topics on the entire site?
———————————
Was in court this morning. Somebody warned a woman, "Don't leave your purse behind, even for a minute."
I said, "Yeah, the room's full of lawyers."

Edited by Imaginos1892

Nena Camadera
24 minutes ago, Imaginos1892 said:

Yeah, how does a Japanese woman get herself involved with a group called 'BACA'? (which must be pronounced 'BAKA')

What does Megs being a Japanese woman have to do with anything? That's a weird way to open up a question on Meg's career with BACA.

So, first off, BACA is an actual organization. Bikers Against Child Abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikers_Against_Child_Abuse

In the story, Megs met a gang of them by chance while she was touring cross-country during spring break of her sophmore year in college.  She'd stopped at a biker's bar somewhere out in Nevada at the time and had the fortune of running into some members of the local chapter of that area. She'd struck up a conversation with one of the members after seeing the logo on the back of their jacket that displayed their organization, and gained an interest in it from there.  Don't forget-Aiko's rape had an affect on everyone in the family, and Megs had some first-hand experience dealing with a child who'd suffered some pretty severe trauma, and so learning that their was a literal biker gang that did nothing but help similar kids work up the courage to face their perpetrators in court was something that really appealed to her.  When she returned back to college, she did a search for the local charters in her area and reached out to them in the hopes of joining.  She started out as a supporter, going through some pretty extensive background checks, and working hard to show up for any mandatory 'show' events for everything from court appearances to charity events and demonstraitions to help spread awareness of child abuse and what the BACA chapters do in support of those actions.  It was hard work for her, given she was working towards a BA in law, but also increadibly rewarding as well.  She gained a lot of insight into the justice system that actually helped her degree, and a hefty chunk of the court appearances served as in-house experience that she could later put on a resume if Megs was looking for a career as a lawyer.  Instead, she fell in love with BACA, and with some help from the friends she'd made in the chapter-people from all over the place and with a wide variety of careers and job experiences, she ended up finding a job that helped better support the overall chapters and maintaining not only their legal status, but ensuring the chapters-first in her home state, then across the country-maintained a professional reputation and worked within the laws of their specific state.  She now helps vet possible applicants to her home state chapter and does background checks on possible candidates between showing up for mandatory events with the rest of the Chapter.  She absolutely loves it and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Imaginos1892

I was making a silly joke about 'Baka' being Japanese for 'idiot' or 'stupid'. See the :tongue:? Lighten up already.

Edited by Imaginos1892

Urd

Well, if you guys aren't trolling with us, then the mystery is solved.

If megumi is out of the list and PUZZLES is not Keigo, then that only leaves:

Old fart - keima

Bengals - aiko

Puzzles - takano

Cheebs - keigo

Nena Camadera

Nailed it!

Urd

Right, because i have a little free time on my hands and because i said i would, here's a few questions i would like our dear authors-san to answer.

I know Nena said at some point SS was a major exercise for her, as someone who has the aspiration to become a published writer at some point in her life. I don't know about Idi, but i would like your inputs, if possible. Consider this your first "amateur interview", if you like.

Note: this questions would make more sense if SS was finished...but try to answer truthfully with what you have NOW.

Anyway, on with it.

**puts on her reporter hat**

**shoves microphone in the face of our dear authors-san**

1 - What genre do you consider SS to be? 

2 - What is your target audience age?

3 - How would you summarize SS?

4 - What were your influences to writing this piece? Also, where do you draw inspiration from?

5- What kind of people would you recommend this book to? (example: ppl who went through bad experiences in life and want to see a good recovery story? ppl who want to see how gods would deal with human-related hardships? other?)

6 - What is the message you want to pass along with this book? 

7- Do you believe that message has been passed (or will be passed once SS is completed?)

8 - When did you realize this project has become much more than the initial preview? Did ou feel daunted by its size at any point?

9 - Did writing the darker passes of this book made you feel uncorfortable or depressed at some point? Did it affect you in some way?

10 - Did you learn anything from this colossal experience? 

That's it for now!

*removes reporter hat*

Nena Camadera
3 hours ago, Urd said:

What genre do you consider SS to be? 

For me personally, i think the Scarred Survivors would be considered a modern horror fantasy, falling somewhere in the extreme lines of, say, Chronicles of Narnia and American Gods given the story's setting.  

2 - What is your target audience age?

Mature/Adult. Sorry kids. 

3 - How would you summarize SS?

Thus is a story of how even diamonds can be crushed, perfection can be ruined, and how gods can be just as human as the mortals they watch over. Find humanity in the divine. Watch as mortal men overcome their limitations to walk, fight, abd stand proudly side-by-side with the gods. 

4 - What were your influences to writing this piece? Also, where do you draw inspiration from?

I have a lot of literary influences, but I'd say that the big two that come to mind are Stephen King as an author and Neil Gaimon's American Gods. King taught me that it's okay to take time world building and developing characters, and that half of what makes a character 'real', is how much you root around in that person's head. American Gods was a huge inspiration too because of the overall theme applied to it and how much Keiichi can relate to Gaimon's protagonist, Shadow: that of a man in over bis head walking side by side with the gods of old and constantly being out of his element. 

Other inspiration comes, as a whole foe a lot of my writing, from Clive Barker, another modern master of horror, and Kelly Armstrong's 'Women of the Underworld' series, as well as a long time influence for me: an old JRPG by the name Digital Devil Saga. Another, stranger and smaller one is Monster Hunter. It helps with Tendee/demon designs

5- What kind of people would you recommend this book to? (example: ppl who went through bad experiences in life and want to see a good recovery story? ppl who want to see how gods would deal with human-related hardships? other?)

First and foremost, anyone who enjoys stories of old-school gods in a modern setting, or someone who just enjoys twists and turns (you know i throw you all through loops). And while the idea of this being a recovery story was never at the forefront of my mind, after receiving feedback on how this story has helped some of the readers with issues they are going through... Yes, I'd recommend it for someone who beed a good... I guess 'pick-me-up' story as well? 

6 - What is the message you want to pass along with this book?

Don't be afraid to seek help. 

Even all powerful gods can suffer like men and may need help along the journey to recovery. Seeking aid does not make them weak, as sometimes it's harder - and scarier-to ask for help rather than deal with the issue alone and in silence, but that in the end its worth it. Make thw leap. Ask for help, heal, and be happy. 

7- Do you believe that message has been passed (or  will be passed once SS is completed?)

Nidhogg's fangs,  i hope so. 

8 - When did you realize this project has become much more than the initial preview? Did you feel daunted by its size at any point?

I think around the time i was helping fill out abd reword Katz's original version, i came to the conclusion that this had the potential for a hell of a lot more. I don't think I realized at the time just what I was signing up for, at least not until i was writing about Belldandy's nightmares and what Urd was going through while discussing future chapter arcs with Idi. At that point I realized i wasn't getting back to my other fics any time soon. The length never daunted me though. Probably because long stories are just how I write. 

9 - Did writing the darker passes of this book made you feel uncorfortable or depressed at some point? Did it affect you in some way?

Yes. Hands down yes. Any scene involving rape or the discussion there of, especially Aiko's, given her age at the time, left me uncomfortable like nothing else. Also, any scene where i know I'm about to write a scene that 'kills' a character, like Lind's Major or Urd and Lind herself, leave me feeling miserable afterwards. 

10 - Did you learn anything from this colossal experience? 

Yes, in both how I write as a person and in pushing the boundaries of just what I'm willing to write in a story. This fic has a lot of 'firsts' for me, ranging from drama to romance to writing scenes that leave me uncomfortable for the sake of the story. But overall it's been a great experience, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to work on the project with Idi. 

Okay, i think i answered everything. I did this on my phone so things might be a little wonky. Thanks for the questions Urd, it was fun. 

In addition to that, don't expect an update this weekend, guys. It's Thanksgiving weekend for us Americans, and I'm doing what I can to relax and enjoy Japan with friends and family. Idi's also busy on his side of the world doing much the same and hopefully not dropping frozen turkeys in a deep fryer. We'll get the next chapter up following Thanksgiving. 

Happy American Turkey Day guys. Go hug something you love.  

• Upvote 1

Imaginos1892
7 hours ago, Nena Camadera said:

Idi's also busy on his side of the world doing much the same and hopefully not dropping frozen turkeys in a deep fryer.

Definitely not!! The Mythbusters showed us what a bad idea that was, years ago. I would hope Idi has seen, and not forgotten.

To continue Urd's Third Degree: :biggrin:

11. How far along are we now? My guess is about half-way, maybe a little over. You said a long time ago the story has three major sections, and the end of section 2 seems to be in sight.

Chapter 49 makes it 580,000 words. We could still see a million!
———————————
Why does lying in bed for ten minutes in the morning feel so much better than lying there for ten minutes at night?