Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
bejay53

Is anyone else following this but me?

bejay53    7
bejay53

I've  been reading the chapters to date. The artwork is typical Fujishima...gorgeous. He loves the female form (almost unnaturally beautiful) and his machines. I have to wonder if he rides himself.

Not sure I get where the story is going, but I'll give it time.

Ether101 Prime    22
Ether101 Prime

I need to start reading.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

I'd like to check the manga out but since the only way to read it is to purchase it via a subscription service like Kindle, it kind of leaves me out of this particular series. I half-expected the manga to appear online unofficially but I haven't found anything out about it.

Ether101 Prime    22
Ether101 Prime

I'm pretty sure you can buy it on its own.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

I haven't been able to check the manga out. Guess I'm just waiting for the first print version of the first volume of the series before I start commenting on the manga.

Utti Jaeger    9
Utti Jaeger

Just read the first chapter I love the artwork so far.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

I've just started reading the manga and I have to say, the first seven chapters were boring as hell. This is nothing like Fujishima-san's previous works, which were more interesting reads. I don't know if it's just me but the first seven chapters took way too long to move the story along. I'm hoping that it gets better and that the manga isn't going to focus mostly on the racing. I'm still holding out hopes that the remaining seven chapters that I have yet to read get better. :getlost: While the artwork is definitely Fujishima-san, it's the story that I've had a problem with, so far.

vanagandr    203
vanagandr

Considering that I was well aware of the theme of this new series, I was fully expecting it to stick to racing, but... there is barely anything other than that. Sure, there's a few bits and pieces about the characters here and there, but even after a dozen chapters or so, I honestly cannot say that there's anything remotely interesting going on. Which is quite surprising as almost every other series Mr Fujishima made were rather interesting and even attempted to tackle certain themes from a new perspective. This one though... not so much. I understand that he must be pretty busy with his personal life at the time, and that he's not the same young man who wrote YUA and AMG, but even Paradise Residence was far more interesting and funny to read that this one. Of course the art style is quite excellent as most of Mr Fujishima's works, but the story is severely lackluster.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Tell me about it. I have expressed the same concerns about this new manga. Unless you're a die hard racing fan who loves motorcycles, this manga series is not for you. With You're Under Arrest and Ah! My Goddess, while there was a lot about cars and motorcycles, only a fraction of those manga were about cars and motorcycles. There wasn't enough of that in those two manga but now Fujishima-san seems to be adding too much about motorcycle racing and I have a feeling that this series is going to be as short lived as Paradise Residence was. I'm just not enthusiastic about this manga. Don't get me wrong, his artwork is as gorgeous as ever but the lack of any plot is killing me from continuing with this manga series any longer.

From what I've been able to determine, the manga TPB and the tankouban version of it are not hot sellers. Amazon US has it ranked at 220 in the Manga category and with Amazon Japan, it's ranked at 9,163. For that matter, even though the second volume hasn't been released yet in Japan, Amazon Japan has the second volume ranked at 691,641. Those are not good rankings for this new manga. With the exception of one chapter of this series, the rest of the manga focused on Toppu racing around in a circle. It's not very interesting. If this were a television series, an anime series or even a movie, it would be a different story but the manga ... it lacks the type of 'slice of life' anime that it needs to desperately success with manga fans.

I hate to say it, but Fujishima-san made a mistake when he ended Ah! My Goddess. I think he should bring that series back, considering that two of his manga titles haven't fared and aren't faring that well. I would give this manga another year or two before Kodansha pulls the plug on it.

grayfox123    136
grayfox123

Having read ten chapters so far, I must confess, I find the manga interesting. 

Sure, I am not much of a motorcycle racing fan (I consider myself a very casual racing fan..in other words, I watch the highlights on TV, but nothing deeper than that, though I do have my favourite riders like Rossi and Marquez), but there are some interesting bits in the manga...like the chapter where Toppu has some weights added to the bike to reduce the advantage that he has because of his rather slim build, and there are some interesting bits about racing strategy. And as usual, a strong female character (Toppu's 'onee-sama').

I guess my palaver with the manga is the same palaver some fans of AMG had with all the racing arcs in the manga (like the infamous broom race between Belldandy and Hild that took several months to complete!)...too long and too drawn out! And Toppu needs more background. I kind of feel that the bit where he decides to take up racing was a bit rushed., and he does appear to be a bit too one-dimensional a character.

Sad that the manga is so low in the rankings. Then again, it was a manga about motorcycle racing from the get go...designed to appeal to the average otaku who is a serious MotoGP fan.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

That's exactly the problem with the manga, no background. I think Fujishima-san needs to find the right balance between a racing manga and the type of slice of life manga that has become so popular with sports manga fans. It can be done properly. I've enjoyed many popular sports anime like Princess Nine, Suzuka, Girls und Panzer, Speed Racer ... so it's not impossible. But, I'm wondering why he didn't include any of the background story regarding the lives of these characters. The manga seems to race out of the front gate in relation to bike racing and that the manga has done nothing to go into who these characters are. With 15 chapters of the manga already completed, it's sad to say that it doesn't feel the story in the manga hasn't moved all that far to begin with.

But, it's like you said, probably the only fans who will dive deep into this series are true manga MotoGP fans. The manga does tend to get too technical for me and that it's hard to follow without some knowledge of the racing circuits.