Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
ehbowen

Travel by Train!

ehbowen    6
ehbowen

In North America travel by train has largely fallen by the wayside, but Amtrak continues to provide a usable if skeletal service to most of the United States. I'm a frequent Amtrak traveler and can answer many questions myself. For outside expertise, consider these resources:

• Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum - A very active online community which is very helpful to new Amtrak (and Via Rail Canada) travelers; they even have a sub-forum for guest posting if you don't feel like registering.
  • "Railroad Rich" Kimmel's Web Site - A personal website from another Amtrak traveler which has much information including detailed "route guides" for points of interest along many Amtrak routes.
  • Ride the Rails with Chris Guenzler - Another personal website from a real rail road-warrior; Chris has more than a million documented miles on Amtrak and is adding more every day.

For the remainder of the world, I know of no website in the English language more comprehensive in its coverage of rail, ferry, and ocean liner travel than Mark Smith's The Man In Seat Sixty-One.

And, if you are well acquainted with Doc Emmet Brown or a friendly time-traveling goddess, stop on by to my own website or a related one from a gentleman with similar interests:

Note: These are all personal or community websites and are not in any way affiliated with Amtrak, Via, or other travel providers to the best of my knowledge.

Sugoi    46
Sugoi

In general I'm not a fan of travelling by train. Over here it often is expensive, takes a long time, rarely on time. If possible I'll go by plane.