NOTICE: Please be aware that the status update widget in the sidebar has been repaired, for those who have been unable to use it lately. This message can be dissolved by clicking the 'x' in the far right corner of this message.

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Goddess Relief Office by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create your own image gallery and upload images
  • Post status updates and much more

grayfox123

Did Belldandy actually engineer her sisters' coming down to Earth?

4 posts in this topic

(AKA-why I should stop overthinking )

Ok...this is the beginnings of a theory that first randomly popped into my mind some months ago, but seems to have some basis in fact....I think that Belldandy actually may have engineered her sisters' arrival on Earth....

The reason being....to see how her Keiichi would react to them.

Why would she do that?

1.She probably was testing  the depth of her Keiichi's love for her...if you love me, then you must love my sisters too.

2.She was also possibly testing to see if Keiichi would be able to live with her sisters...especially as she had already fallen in love with him...and was probably thinking of a future with him....so...let's see if he would be able to manage living with me and my sisters.

Proof for my theory:

Now....I accept that I possibly HAVE no significant proof for my rather half-baked theory.(and only Fujishima-sensei can confirm or deny this)..but here is my reasoning

1.Belldandy knew that the Ultimate Force was preventing her and her Keiichi from advancing their relationship, and she probably knew that her sister Urd , being the rebel she was, and also being a sys-admin goddess in charge of the ultimate force....would try to engineer some form of disruption...so that her sister(ie Bell) could be happy.

2.Belldandy also knows that Skuld would follow her down to Earth sooner or later...due to the kind of relationship they have, and also due to Skuld's fear of being left alone.

So, to sum up....Belldandy possibly either consciously or subconsciously engineered her sisters coming to Earth as a form of a test of her Keiichi...

Another view....

Belldandy probably knew eventually that as the relationship with her Keiichi deepened...he would meet the sisters. And at the same time, she has a very high opinion of her Keiichi. So, she brings about the conditions that make her sisters follow her to Earth...because she thinks that Keiichi CAN live with them.

And so far....throughout the manga....it has turned out that Bell's faith in Keiichi has not been misplaced at all...regarding the relationship with the sisters.

What do you think?

(I should stop thinking too much, really).

Personally speaking, I think that it's unlikely for Belldandy to try and 'test' Keiichi in such a way. From all the examples we've seen her act around him, it's clear that she never quite seemed uncertain about his loyalty. Most of the time, the problem itself lies with her, or more importantly the fact that she's not sure how to cope with some relatively normal (and otherwise healthy) emotions whenever someone else is around Keiichi. To the point where her jealousy gets... a bit out of hand. 

Even when Peorth made an appearance, she was mostly worried that she somehow failed to make him happy, rather than him being all touchy feely (or not, as it proved to be case here) with her self proclaimed rival. 

As such, I don't think that she ever put him in a situation where he was tested, unlike some others (with Ansuz and Tyr being the prime examples, and Hild coming after them). While her sisters' arrival was more or less inevitable (since those three are inseparable), both Urd and Skuld immediately started living with Belldandy and Keiichi, instead of just dropping by for a visit. By that time, it was fairly pointless to subject Keiichi into any sort of test, as he was already dealing with them, and without any negative results too. 

If there was one thing she did in regards to her sisters, is that Belldandy never attempted to send them back. Despite all their antics, it's perfectly clear that she wants them around her. Even during the most outrageous incident in the early manga when Urd attempted to sleep with Keiichi, Belldandy didn't tell her to go away. And that was before Urd's personality was significantly toned down, along with various other tweaks to both Belldandy's and even Keiichi's personality as Mr Fujishima was trying to figure out what he wanted to do with his characters. 

15 hours ago, grayfox123 said:

Another view....

Belldandy probably knew eventually that as the relationship with her Keiichi deepened...he would meet the sisters. And at the same time, she has a very high opinion of her Keiichi. So, she brings about the conditions that make her sisters follow her to Earth...because she thinks that Keiichi CAN live with them.

This actually more or less sums up what I've also mentioned before, but I still believe that out of all the goddesses, Belldandy is the least likely to put Keiichi in any kind of situation on her behalf. Most of the time she tries to do the opposite and support him as much as she can, even if that means that she goes out of her way to do so (although that was more prominent early on in the manga, where she tried to use magic a lot more than she did later on).

24 minutes ago, vanagandr said:

Even during the most outrageous incident in the early manga when Urd attempted to sleep with Keiichi, Belldandy didn't tell her to go away.

I think this was a pretty early indication of how much she trusted him.  I think she knew pretty early on what his feelings for her were, so she felt she had nothing to worry about.  That trust, though, might paint her in a bit of a foul light if you think about it.  That means that her jealousy storms were more about wanting Keiichi to herself than any type of rivalry situation.  Maybe they were more "selfish storm" than anything?  Dunno, something that just popped in my head when I was reading this thread and totally taking it off track. 

I don't think you're off track Idi... far from it. Belldandy put a lot of trust into him, indeed. The only issue was that selfishness isn't always a negative thing, and apparently Belldandy wasn't unaware of that. There's nothing inherently wrong to draw a line and expect others to respect the fact that she's in a relationship with Keiichi and not anyone else. As such, the main issue with her was that up to that moment, she always put others' needs before hers, and all of sudden, Belldandy had to change that policy. Yet, she did fail more than enough cases and merely kept bottling those emotions in her, to the point where they literally caused stuff around her explode.

Of course, I'm only referring to the original jealousy storms, since after their introduction, the sort of became a running gag and mostly played for laughs later on in the story.

Still, she was never seen worrying about Keiichi wanting someone else (be it Urd, Peorth, or even Hild when she literally asked for him during her intro arc).