Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Grenfell Towers, London, Major Apartment Fire

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

Sad news coming from London. It appears that Grenfell Towers, the 27 story apartment complex was completely engulfed in flames and that it's being reported that an estimated 12 people have already died and that more are expected. Some witnesses to the fire said that they could see some people in the windows and that some people jumped from the building to escape the fire. One person even tossed their baby from the building, hoping that someone would catch their child. This is a horrible tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go out to their families.

Sugoi    47
Sugoi

According to the news people have been complaining about obsolete fire prevention measures in that building for years. But nothing has been done. As is often the case authorities will only bother after things have gone terribly awry...

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

This is just sad but I have the feeling that authorities are going to hold the owner of that building responsible for this tragedy. Expect a class action lawsuit over this one from the families of those people who lived in Grenfell Towers as well as the families of those who died. If that's true, Sugoi, it'll most likely be the owner of that property who will be held responsible as well as the manager of that building. According to news reports, this tragedy could have been prevented. If this had happened here in the states, the building owner, building management, and a number of other people responsible for the maintenance of the property would be held criminally responsible for the disaster ... and that's not even counting civil liabilities.

Sugoi    47
Sugoi

The building is owned by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea apparently. So it's basically state property...  :no:

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
  • i  think its the case where they cut corners with safety when building the Grenfell Towers to save cost

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

The latest report has a death toll sitting at 30 confirmed dead and I've been doing some digging on my own and discovered some interesting information about the ownership and management of Grenfell Towers in London. The housing block in West London is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation, on behalf of the council. But, when it underwent a massive renovation, last year (2016), no sprinkler system had been installed and that the installation of "cladding" might have been responsible for the quick spread of the fire itself. Reports are now coming out that aluminum composite cladding was installed in the building to make the building more energy efficient, which was also highly flammable. The fact that no sprinkler system was installed in the building, combined with reports that experts had warned the government against using this material. It was just the cheaper, more flammable version of the two available options.

It seems that there were as many as eight companies involves with the renovation of Grenfell Towers. The Kensington and Chelsea Tenants Management Organisation (KCTMO) hired the construction firm Rydon as the lead contractor on the project. At least eight other contractors and sub-contractors were involved in separate elements of the refurbishment and materials used for the work. KCTMO, Artelia UK, Max Fordham, Studio E, Rydon, Harley Curtain Wall/Facades, Witt UK/PSB, Celotex are the only ones that have been identified as working on the renovation project on Grenfell and that these companies have removed Grenfell Towers as a mention on their own websites.

Looks to me that every company, contractor and sub contractor will be investigated for their role in the renovation and may be answering uncomfortable questions in regards to this disaster.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
2 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

The latest report has a death toll sitting at 30 confirmed dead and I've been doing some digging on my own and discovered some interesting information about the ownership and management of Grenfell Towers in London. The housing block in West London is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation, on behalf of the council. But, when it underwent a massive renovation, last year (2016), no sprinkler system had been installed and that the installation of "cladding" might have been responsible for the quick spread of the fire itself. Reports are now coming out that aluminum composite cladding was installed in the building to make the building more energy efficient, which was also highly flammable. The fact that no sprinkler system was installed in the building, combined with reports that experts had warned the government against using this material. It was just the cheaper, more flammable version of the two available options.

It seems that there were as many as eight companies involves with the renovation of Grenfell Towers. The Kensington and Chelsea Tenants Management Organisation (KCTMO) hired the construction firm Rydon as the lead contractor on the project. At least eight other contractors and sub-contractors were involved in separate elements of the refurbishment and materials used for the work. KCTMO, Artelia UK, Max Fordham, Studio E, Rydon, Harley Curtain Wall/Facades, Witt UK/PSB, Celotex are the only ones that have been identified as working on the renovation project on Grenfell and that these companies have removed Grenfell Towers as a mention on their own websites.

Looks to me that every company, contractor and sub contractor will be investigated for their role in the renovation and may be answering uncomfortable questions in regards to this disaster.

i knew the building was a tricking time bomb have they seen the The Towering Inferno to know what happens if you cut corners with safety i think they should watch the movie should be requirement for anyone wanting be a tower builder so they know what happen if you cut corners with safely hopefully my idea can help save lives and prevent something like this from happening again  

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

Please stop making movie references in regards to this topic. That was a fictitious movie based on fictitious events. What we're talking about here is liability on who is to blame for Grenfell and I don't put any truth behind any movie based on real events because 99% of movies based on such events are far from being accurate and written in such a way to amp up the drama.

Where sprinkler systems are concerned, I think it's the same in the United Kingdom as it is here in the United States. Sprinkler systems are required by law to be placed in public buildings, apartment complexes and government buildings. I couldn't find any information in relation to fire codes and/or laws when it concerns building codes or laws, and even if the fire codes were added in recent years, the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation should have made sure that one was installed. That would have saved a lot of lives in this tragedy. Such building codes here in the United States are taken very seriously and that building owners can be held liable for any lives lost and can be fined until such buildings are brought up to code.

Thing is, when the families of these victims start talking to attorneys, I doubt that the council who is responsible for that building will be able to wiggle their way out of a potential class action lawsuit. I also suspect that every contractor and sub-contractor involved with the renovation will also be held liable for any damages resulting from that fire. I also suspect that everyone involved will also be held liable for the cost of the cleanup after all of the investigating has finished.

Sugoi    47
Sugoi
53 minutes ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Thing is, when the families of these victims start talking to attorneys, I doubt that the council who is responsible for that building will be able to wiggle their way out of a potential class action lawsuit. I also suspect that every contractor and sub-contractor involved with the renovation will also be held liable for any damages resulting from that fire. I also suspect that everyone involved will also be held liable for the cost of the cleanup after all of the investigating has finished.

My guess is that the bigwigs ultimately responsible for all this and who have been filling their pockets all this time will just find some sacrificial pawns to calm the public. In the best case the little thieves are hanged by the neck and the great ones by the purse.

Apart from that I'm quite sure that the UK would have a different Prime Minister now if this terrible incident had occured before the election...

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

It's going to end up being those elected officials who were voted into office who will be looking for a new job when election season rolls around because it's going to be the people who aren't going to forget this catastrophe. One thing you can be sure of is any new candidate who runs for office as a council member will undoubtedly use this disaster in their campaign ads. I have to admit that I have some ignorance when it comes to political campaigns in the U.K.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
10 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Please stop making movie references in regards to this topic. That was a fictitious movie based on fictitious events. What we're talking about here is liability on who is to blame for Grenfell and I don't put any truth behind any movie based on real events because 99% of movies based on such events are far from being accurate and written in such a way to amp up the drama.

Where sprinkler systems are concerned, I think it's the same in the United Kingdom as it is here in the United States. Sprinkler systems are required by law to be placed in public buildings, apartment complexes and government buildings. I couldn't find any information in relation to fire codes and/or laws when it concerns building codes or laws, and even if the fire codes were added in recent years, the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation should have made sure that one was installed. That would have saved a lot of lives in this tragedy. Such building codes here in the United States are taken very seriously and that building owners can be held liable for any lives lost and can be fined until such buildings are brought up to code.

im sorry about the movie references part its i wanted to point out that cutting corners with safely can get people killed and plus i need a example so people know im not trying to be a fool and i dint know about movie references part was not allowed in this topic and yes im pro life so i take death seriously 

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

While I'm not sure if politicians are protected from lawsuits in London, I'm sure there are going to be enough heads on the table over this unacceptable loss of life just because some contractor or sub-contractor decided to cut costs by going a cheaper route. Because, somewhere down the line, someone is going to be hurt by it and someone else is going to have to pay a heavy price for it. This kind of thing happens all the time here in the United States, with a contractor wanting to go a cheaper route but they end up cutting safety just to either break even or to maintain their profit margin. Such companies always underbid a project because they know they can use cheaper or sub-standard equipment and usually someone ends up paying with their life and someone else ends up paying out in a very expensive lawsuit.