Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Anime Burnout: How Do You Deal With It?

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

I was reading a topic over at Anime News Network and while I have never discussed this here, I thought maybe what our own community has on this issue. From time to time, I go through my anime binge watching,  racing from one anime series to the other. While I don't like watching anime piecemeal (watching a few episodes of one anime and watching a few episodes of another anime), the only way I can watch anime is by watching an anime season straight through. But, from time to time, I do suffer from anime burnout.

This usually happens after I've been watching anime over a period of several days, jumping from one anime series to the next. Sometimes watching previous anime shows repeatedly, that have become fan favorite shows of mine. When I suffer from burnout, I've found that by simply walking away from watching any anime for several days to as long as a few weeks or maybe months, and by watching other live action te3levision shows like Eureka (SyFy), The Flash, Suits, Killjoys, Dark Matter, etc., and maybe movies like Kong Skull Island, The Fast and the Furious series, The Bourne Trilogy ... just by mixing up with some variety, I usually end up escaping the burnout and doldrums from over-indulging from too much anime.

I'm curious, exactly, how everyone else handles it. I'm sure we all suffer from burnout over watching too much anime. If you suffer from it, share your thoughts about it and how you deal with escaping from the burnout. Even if you don't suffer from it, share your thoughts on this subject.

Sugoi    46
Sugoi

Mmmh, if I don't feel like watching anime I simply do other things like reading, playing video games, learning/improving a skill, cooking, etc..

To me there is no boredom. There is always things to do. Even if it's just doing the annoying laundry...

grayfox123    133
grayfox123

If I don't feel like watching anime....I don't watch anime.

Kind of makes me feel like, yes, I am not that 'addicted' !

Until I am traveling, and find myself in an internet free region.....then the cravings come .....

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

The thing with fans like me and Sugoi, we have been watching anime for a very long time. Personally, I have been watching anime since I was very young and didn't know what anime was. I was around six or seven and my mom would always wake me up at six in the morning so I could watch the original Speed Racer anime series. It was a ritual for me. She would sit me in front of the television set so I could eat my cereal, watch Speed Racer and Ultraman and then I would get ready for school. It was the of the most cherished memories I have of my mom.

Since then, I have probably watched more anime then most of our members here and more anime that a lot of members aren't aware that's out there. Same in regards to manga.

But, when I suffer from burnout, and I can tell you that you won't recognize it as burnout, you'll just become bored or it feel like the blahs, I just finish what I'm watching and I'll turn the anime off. I might then watch some classic TV series that I still enjoy, like Eureka, Farscape or maybe even M*A*S*H, might toss in a movie like Kong Skull Island, something to get me out of the anime funk. I'll stay away from it for several days and then maybe go back to watching it. There have been times where I've not watched any anime for months. There's also the work that occupies my time in regards to the website. It may not look like any work has been done, but I do spend a lot of time working on the website behind the scenes, like checking to see where our visitors are browsing the site from or who's linking to the site (you can relax, the administration part of the site only logs technical information, like a user's IP address, what country they're visiting the site from, how long they visited and maybe information about who's linking to images on the site. Sometimes I even optimize the site to ensure everything is in working order.

Point is, there is always something to do if you want to distract yourself from anime for some time. One of my interests is in downloading music, movies and anime ... so there's also that. But, burnout from anime has happened to me on more occasions than I can recount. After several months of watching no anime (yes, this last time has been the longest period of burnout), I started watching the first two seasons of Ah! My Goddess and my interest in watching anime again was rekindled.

But, I do agree with Sugoi on this point. Anime burnout does happen, just try to distance yourself from anime for a short period of time, and you're interest will bring you back to it. Oh, and you're suffering from anime burnout, you could also pass the time by posting on the forums here. I've always found that an appropriate way of passing the time, and we do have plenty of topics here (the Ah! My Goddess topics and forums will never be purged and they're always there for everyone to post in).. :grin:

Look at me! Back to my quality forum posting once again. What can I say? I'm motivated. :blum:

Sugoi    46
Sugoi

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I mean imagine eating your favorite dish every day. You'll get tired of it at some point. Variation is the spice of life.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Tell me about, my friend. Just have to roll with it. I know the longest period of time I went through was several months, and that was recently. I don't know. I just got tired of anime and had to walk away from it. The only reason I can't watch it now is because my Blu-ray player broke down and I have to purchase a new one. Still haven't been able to get out to the local Target or Best Buy to grab one. I prefer watching anime on ym 32" HDTV rather than on this PC monitor. It's too easy to click the fast forward and skip scenes. :laugh: I had just finished watching the first two seasons of the Ah! My Goddess anime series and when I woke up the next morning, my Blu-ray player went kaput. Just have to actually make it out of the house and this is a bad time right now since this is the 4thj of July extended weekend. But, I'm hoping to be back on my anime watching kick in a few days. :blum:

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Now that my Blu-ray player has been replaced, I'm about to go full tilt into a lot of new anime. But, we're still interested in hearing how everyone deals with anime burnout.