SUPPORT: We're in the middle of the donation drive for the site. If you're able to help support our community by sending a donation to the site, please use the Paypal donation sidebar feature. Remember, your support helps keep us funded and allows us to provide our community with features such as an image hosting gallery, community forums and more.

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Goddess Relief Office by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create your own image gallery and upload images
  • Post status updates and much more

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keiichi Morisato

Arcade, RPG, Shooters ... what are your favorite gaming genres?

5 posts in this topic

Just curious, what are your favorite types of genre games? RPG, Arcade, Strategy, Shooter, Fighter, Survival, Action, Horror, RTS (Real Time Strategy), First Person, Third Person, Simulation, Fantasy, Science Fiction; Arcade, Console, PC, Mobile ... you can name a few if you want.

Personally, I prefer RPG games, they are my ultimate favorite type of videogaming. Final Fantasy VII is where I started off with. But, since then, I've enjoyed sci-fi, some horror games, some first person games, third person shooters, shooters, fantasy. But, the primary choice of videogaming for me, when it comes down to brass tacks, is RPG games. I can spend hours, days, weeks and even months playing them. That's the point, you can't really beat them in a single setting and I wouldn't want to anyway. :grin:

In general I would say RPG's too (especially the strategic ones). Shooters are good for short term fun too.

However, to get really immersed I need a good plot. I can't stress this enough. Without that I get bored really quickly even if the game is otherwise good gameplay-wise.

Tell me about. During my teens, I was all about action games and shooters and while they still hold a fascination with me, I just have more affinity toward RPG's because they have a fascinating storyline and you can actually explore the world. Racing games aren't typically my forte, but I have a fondness for racing games that allow you to explore the open world, like Need For Speed Carbon and Need For Speed Most Wanted. I just like spending months on end playing the same game. But, as for other games go, I still enjoy the original Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II, the original PC games, not the relaunched Battlefront series.

Some first person shooters still have an interest for me as well. But, my fascination with RPG's began with Final Fantasy VII (then it was Final Fnatasy IX). I still hold that up to one of the best RPG games ever made and a lot of RPG fans and Final Fantasy fans agree. The closest second would have to be Xenosaga and its three sequels. With RPG games, you can spend anywhere from a few months to as long as a year playing them and I like to replay them as well. They really are replayable and you never get bored with them. :grin: I guess with these RPG games, I just like the anime-style to them, which is probably why I fell in love with RPG's. I've just never played an American RPG game that has held interest for me but I don't think game developers don't have an interest in creating such a versatile game for console fans.

4 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

...I've just never played an American RPG game that has held interest for me but I don't think game developers don't have an interest in creating such a versatile game for console fans.

I'm mainly a JRPG player too as they focus more on the story whereas western RPG's tend to focus on a big world, exploration and the freedom to do whatever you want (e. g. The Elder Scrolls series).

However, I have liked "Mass Effect" games (it's such a shame that the ending was so "underwhelming") and also the "Baldur's Gate" game for instance which do have an interesting plot.

There are very few because game developers in North America don't see much interest in RPG's. I think the only reason RPG game franchises like Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Dot Hack are so popular is because they're established game franchises and Final Fantasy set the bar kind of high. Xenosaga was a sort of a sideways spinoff from Xenogears and that Dot Hack remains popular because of the cross-platform promotion into an actual anime series, which is a good thing. Final Fantasy itself has spawned a number of anime films. Final Fantasy: Advent Children remains one of my favorite CGI anime films. When CGI is done right, you get a truly remarkable film. But, when you have an endearing franchise like Final Fantasy, you get the game developer going back to not only remaster Final Fanyas VII but to add something new to the game and update it for Playstation 4. From what little I know, they're still in development of the remaster.

I would definitely like to see new RPG franchises to play, alongside Final Fantasy but none have lasted that long. Xenosaga was cut short with the fourth game in the series and there were rumors it wasn't truly completed and rushed to market. There are still the classics I love, such as Atari 2600's River Raid and Missile Command. Classics I remember from my childhood, long before we ever saw a Playstation or Nintendo or xBox. Back then, it was just Atari and Commodore here in the United States back when Atari consoles shipped with Pong, an all-time favgorite among classic console gamers.