SUPPORT: We're in the middle of the donation drive for the site. If you're able to help support our community by sending a donation to the site, please use the Paypal donation sidebar feature. Remember, your support helps keep us funded and allows us to provide our community with features such as an image hosting gallery, community forums and more.

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office

Welcome to Goddess Relief Office, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Goddess Relief Office by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create your own image gallery and upload images
  • Post status updates and much more

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keiichi Morisato

Ghost in the Shell Live Action, Your Thoughts?

31 posts in this topic

The point is, it was done by a Japanese production studio, not an American movie studio. That series was just not what I consider to be a good adaption. When you don't include Natsumi's superhuman abilities or use Mariah Carey's music as the series opening theme, then it's not going to be received very well. I have watched the eight episode series and while it's a typical Japanese police drama, it's just in name only of the original anime and manga series and isn't very faithful to the original source content.

Truth be told, i dont think Scarlet Johanson did a bad interpretation of the Major. In all honesty, i don't think the original anime movie was THAT much good either. So much fuss about it, but i never really enjoyed it.

Some movie scenes are awesome, like the Major falling from the building, or entering through the window.

Now that you think about it, what anime movie wouldn't look just plain retarded if converted to a live action movie?

The best thing i've ever seen, (and it wasnt even an official anime-movie) was the Pacific Rim. I swear it could pass as an Evangelion live action movie..

The thing is, Hollywood would be better off just doing anime feature films instead of the disaster films that we have been getting with the live action films. Fans have become so acclimated to English dubbed audio and these movie studios wouldn't have to worry about the backlash regarding "whitewashing" when it comes to these fan favorite anime characters. After all, many animated studios here in the states have went so far as to co-produce anime shows and anime fans with the anime studios. I just think that Hollywood has an abysmal track record when it comes to adapting popular anime into live action and the blowback usually ends up with disappointing ticket sales and losses to the movie studio. If I didn't know better, I would say they are doing this deliberately just for tax purposes, so they can write off the films when tax season comes around.

15 hours ago, Urd said:

Now that you think about it, what anime movie wouldn't look just plain retarded if converted to a live action movie?

I personally found the "City Hunter" live action movie featuring Jackie Chan pretty good.

Traditionally, the only studios who can do a live action adaption of an anime properly is the originating publishers and studios of the anime and manga. I've just never been too fond of American adaptions of anime and manga, ever since I saw Warriors of the Wind and found out that it was from an anime film based on a manga series that was horribly edited, chopped and massacred. I eventually discovered it was from the original anime film, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, by Hayao Miyazaki, one of my all-time favorite classic manga series. It's gotten so bad that I'm almost to the point where I won't go to see an adaption of an anime or manga that has been adapted into live action by an American movie studio. There are, at least, a dozen so called film adaptions already lined up for production and I don't anticipate that any of them will be any good or faithful to the original source material.

17 hours ago, Urd said:

Truth be told, i dont think Scarlet Johanson did a bad interpretation of the Major. In all honesty, i don't think the original anime movie was THAT much good either. So much fuss about it, but i never really enjoyed it.

Some movie scenes are awesome, like the Major falling from the building, or entering through the window.

That's my initial assessment. It's a beautifully animated work of art with a boring inhuman performance by The Major.

The scene where she chases down a guy in a flooded colorful billboard city is the best scene of the movie. 

I sat down tonight and watched the live action version. My view is pretty much the same. When you think of a movie like Blade Runner, people are like, wow that's so cyberpunk and futuristic and sci fi, and from a production value standpoint, Ghost in the Shell outdoes Blade Runner 1000 times over. If you rated the movie simply by it's futuristic sci fi visuals, it'd get Best Picture. Unfortunately, the Major just isn't a very interesting character. Not Scarlett Johanson's performance, and not the anime Major either. Still, I like both versions of the movie.

When directors, producers, writers and cast start defending a notoriously bad movie, you know that something is wrong. It's recently come out that the failure of Ghost in the Shell to perform has been blamed on whitewashing, online reviews and critics. The movie was panned by critics, blamed for whitewashing the characters in the movie due to poor casting decisions, and that Scarlett Johansson was forced to defend the movie herself. For such a long time, Hollywood has been blamed, time and time again, for whitewashing Asian characters with casting white-American or British actors in those roles. Even the recent Doctor Strange movie cast Tilda Swinson in the role of a Tibetan monk called "The Ancient One".

Hollywood needs to realize that they need to start using Asian talent to fill these roles if they expect to turn these anime properties into full fledged franchise films. Long as Hollywood refuses to honor the original ethnic casting of these characters, they will continue to produce these anime films as massive flops.

4 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Hollywood needs to realize that they need to start using Asian talent to fill these roles if they expect to turn these anime properties into full fledged franchise films. Long as Hollywood refuses to honor the original ethnic casting of these characters, they will continue to produce these anime films as massive flops.

The problem is they think they are right. They don't care about the fans.

That's the biggest problem they have, Sugoi. They think that they can do their own version of it and that fans will lap it up like they have with Transformers and G.I. Joe. Well, the problem with Hollywood is that when it comes to adapting anime or manga into a live action production, especially when Hollywood is producing it, they still don't believe that they are dealing with a very dedicated fanbase. This isn't Star Trek, Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica where they can re-imagine, remake or reboot the property that they are adapting. These are dedicated anime fans who are very loyal to the genre.

The reason it works for Star Trek, Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica is that they are American productions created by American creators. They just don't have the mindset to listen to the anime and manga fans who are going to go and see what they are adapting for live action, simply because the properties they are adapting aren't widely known to those in the American or European audience who have never watched anime or read manga or have any desire to. They need to appease the anime and manga fans and from them, word of mouth will spread and other movie fans will go and check out these film adaptions.

With the upcoming production of Akira and Robotech and Voltron being in production, I think that while these are properties that could benefit from the live action treatment, these studios are just going to mess it up and whitewash those characters as well.

I wonder how many flops are required for the Hollywood to realize that their approach to this matter is entirely wrong...

26 minutes ago, Sugoi said:

I wonder how many flops are required for the Hollywood to realize that their approach to this matter is entirely wrong...

"AS MANY AS ARE NECESSARY!!!!" - Studio Exec