Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Tamiya and Otaki: Bullies or Hyperactive Sempais?

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Well, I'm sitting here watching the anime series again and the one thing I've noticed about these two and their portrayal in the anime series is that they seem to act more like bullies then fellow campus seniors. Not only that, but the one thing I also noticed is that Keiichi seems to be about three feet to four feet tall whereas Tami and Otaki seem to be about six feet or seven feet tall. While these discrepancies seem to dissipate somewhat in the second season, this is just something that I've noticed during my current watching of the anime series. I'm curious what everyone else thinks about this.

Sugoi    46
Sugoi

I don't remember much but to me they appeared to be guys who like to take advantage of their underclassman from time to time. But not to the degree where it gets malicious.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Well, from what I had observed, especially in the first season, they always seemed to delight in torturing Keiichi. Usually by demanding Keiichi clean the dorm, build a motorcycle or some other two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle for a race or to help with fund-raising. While the manga series doesn't focus on this, I've found that the anime series is often misaligned when it comes to the portrayal of these characters, and it's not just with Tamiya and Otaki. Even the anime series so far as to mention that Satoko's father, who grants Otaki permission to date and marry his daughter, is the campus president and yet I don't recall the manga series mentioning this fact. But, then again, it's been awhile since I read the manga series straight through. Something that I must do very soon.

It's my hope that Kodansha finds an anime studio that will adapt the manga series as it should have been adapted, in chronological order as the manga series was published. But, judging by what I have seen, it may be that any further anime adaptions might be abandoned for some time, unless Kodansha greenlights a new seasons or two. From what I've noticed, the second season seemed to go a little lighter on the portrayal of these character but that most of the supporting characters were ignored in favor of focusing on Keiichi, Belldandy, Megumi, Urd, Skuld, Peorth, Mara and Hild. The series, at its core, skipped over some of the most important chapters of the manga series that focused on character development of the Auto Club, Keiichi and the rest of the gang.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

I never watched the anime, so I can't comment about that.

I recall one or two times in the Manga where they forced Keiichi to win the race because they already spent the prize money. There's also the times they barged into the temple and ate without even asking or getting permission.

There's also when they made Keiichi the boss of the club.... only for them to announce they promoted themselves to the CEOs of it, so they could have the power and Keiichi all the responsibility.

I say that last stunt makes them bullies. Moving the goalposts and all that. Why does Keiichi continue to be around them?

I know the answer. Different cultural values than mine. That and we never see Keiichi interact much with anyone outside of the club. For all we know, Keiichi is too associated with them and him leaving merely makes him look like the bad guy in the eyes of everyone around him. There's also the possibility of a weak Stockholm syndrome and Keiichi being too nice of a guy to cut anyone from his life.

Sure, there's a few times they've done something nice without prompting.... only to reveal in mere moments the hidden hook.

Only two nice things that they did without trying to get something out of it that I recall right off the bat was fixing Keiichi's beemer in the beginning and adjust Sora's motorcycle to her liking during a time when they felt the need to give everything MOAR POWAH!!!!SHift plus elevendy! when they were given control of Chihiro's shop for awhile.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Hotel, you haven't seen the anime? If you get the chance, you really should. While I still prefer the original OVA series, the anime series does provide a nice alternative when you want to immerse yourself in the anime world of the manga series. With two seasons and five additional OVA and OAD episodes released for the series, it's still nice to watch every so often, especially since you don't have to wait week after week for a new episode to be released. :grin: