Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
HotelKatz

Evil Zone

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

You remember those anime and OVAs where the scripts tended to follow the Japanese dialogue too closely and never matched the length of the mouth movements? Either the dialogue went too long or the mouth moved with nothing being said?

Where the characters' personalities were all pretty flat and uninteresting?

Evil Zone is pretty much like that.

and yet, I love the game.

It's a 2.5D fighting game that was released on the Playstation 1 back in 1999. 

You can move left and right, and can move into the background/foreground in a circular arena. Defending is done via a button, not by backing up. All of the fighting moves are one or two direction buttons and an attack button. 

The animation for the few animated scenes are done by AIC. Some claim this is the best part of the game. Mostly because the rest of the game is with PS1 polygons during Sony's "ONLY 3D" phase.

Each of the 10 characters has their own story mode and... Well, every character has their own variation of the pre-fight scene and post-fight scene with each other. 

Every character also has three outfits. They're all just purely cosmetic.

There's also the ingame encyclopedia that has loads and loads of details on all the characters, their moves, and even for stuff for the characters' backstory.

I'm not sure why I like the game. Might be because it's the only fighting game I could play without feeling too dumb about the controls.

At best, I can use the characters to fill in parts for my fics. There's also one thing that I semi-want to use in a slight crossover with Ah! My goddess.

It's from something I noted. two characters had something similar to the Doublet system, but it had a requirement that it also was needed for them to live. Were one to leave their little setup, both would die until they get back into the setup.

Those two characters are Kakarine and Lea. However, Lea received orders from an entity called Orsa to destroy all of existence. Lea then split herself into many versions of herself and they all got into the setup with each other, leaving Kakarine to die.

But... according to the in-game encyclopedia, in the magician character's religion, Orsa was called 'The beginning of all things'.

I guess if I were to make a crossover, it'd be one where the system program for starting up all of existence goes rogue and wants to be useful again.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

Thing is, I'm one of the few anime fans who remember those dark days of English dubbed anime. Most of those dubbed anime films and series are no longer available so many anime fans aren't aware of the atrocious editing jobs that was done in regards to syncing the audio tracks to the video. It was horrible back then. Often, and this is something else that anime fans of this day and age aren't even aware of, is how English dubbing became so despised in the first place. But, English dubbing for anime has improved over the past two decades, with ADR facilities and anime distributors improving the quality of the scripts for each anime film and anime episode that the voice acting is done with such perfection that is nearly matches the vocal or lip movements of the characters in the anime. I remember way back in the mid-80's with such classics as Ranma 1/2, Riding Bean, Dominion: Tank POlice, etc. Those were the earlier days of anime English dubbing, known as ADR. But, it wasn't until AnimEigo released You're Under Arrest when English dubbing started to become respectable, thanks to the fine talent at Coastal Studios (the company responsible for English dubbing for such classics as Oh My Goddess, You're Under Arrest and many other anime films and shows).

These days, you would be hard pressed to find such horrible audio to video sync of your favorite anime.

winedrinkingcritic    19
winedrinkingcritic

KM's speech about bad anime recuts reminds me of Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind being released as Warriors of the Wind. Thank god, I've never seen that version.

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

That's the one I was referring to. It's known notoriously as Warriors of the Wind. Miyazaki-san was so disturbed by what the distributor had done to it that he had vowed to never allow any of his anime films to be licensed or distributed in the United States. It wasn't until Disney came along and wanted to license his anime films that Miyazaki-san and Ghibli Studios made it a serious condition that the anime films never be edited in any fashion. The only thing that Disney can do to the films was to add an English audio track as well as English subtitles. Disney was restricted as to what they could do with the Studio Ghibli films. I remember watching it through a local cable service called "Channel 100". This was prior to Comcast Cable moving into our region. Warriors of the Wind can still be found available for purchase on "Good Times" VHS tapes, that are available in discount bargain stores across the United States.

winedrinkingcritic    19
winedrinkingcritic
3 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

That's the one I was referring to. It's known notoriously as Warriors of the Wind. Miyazaki-san was so disturbed by what the distributor had done to it that he had vowed to never allow any of his anime films to be licensed or distributed in the United States.

That's why I don't want to translate my fan film series into Japanese. I did a translation of the 90 minute The Pilot Movie and Bing Translation completely re-wrote every line of dialogue into a completely different movie and dropped all the foul language... you can't even tell what the movie is about. Apparently Bing Translation thinks it's a screenwriter. I also looked into Babylon at your posted suggestion and that one's not much better. If I released that Japanese version, it would not be the movie that I wrote, it would be a bastardization of it like the Sid Sheinberg Love Conquers All Cut of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.