Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
HotelKatz

Mandela Effect

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

I know, I know. By now, most of you who have heard of of it, are sick and tired of hearing about it.

To those  that don't know what it might be, the Mandela Effect is where you remember things differently, but rather than attribute it to memory loss, one puts it as slipping into another dimension.

It was called 'the Mandela effect' because a number of people claim to have read or heard that Nelson Mandela died in prison and were surprised to hear that he didn't.

Another often-used example is The book series 'Berenstain Bears'. A number of people remember it as 'Berenstein Bears'

Some remember 'The Flintstones' as 'The Flinstones'.

=-=

Now for examples I might've had. I say 'might've' as I honestly don't know if it falls under 'Mandela Effect' or me having bad memory.

There is an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where Picard met a time duplicate of himself from a few hours of the future.

I remember the fight scene starting off with both Picard and his duplicate suddenly going silent and heading to the shuttle bay, where the two of them fought. When the crew arrived, they had no idea which was their Picard and which was the duplicate. Eventually, One of the two won and killed the other by knocking him into the dupilcate's vanishing shuttle, but had no idea if they were the duplicate or not.

When I rewatched it, I was surprised that it had happened differently.

Another example is from when I watched Extreme Ghostbusters.

I remembered that in the episode 'Deadliners', Edwardo was the one who wrote a book where his fellow ghostbusters were killed off after the first page and Garret commenting on it.

Rewatching the episode had it the other way around.

Any examples you guys have? Either ones you personally had or heard/read about?

winedrinkingcritic    20
winedrinkingcritic

When I wrote my fan fiction series, I repeatedly suffered this uneasy feeling that the Doctor What character's introduction may have come from an episode of South Park I had long forgotten. In my memory, a character named Doctor What (played by Eric Idle) visits Eric Cartman, they have a very similar introduction dialogue to one in my episode, and then Eric Idle takes Cartman to a Charles Dickens Time Period and tries to sell Cartman into a Child Slavery Workhouse. Several of my friends also thought I got the Public Access Time Lord Doctor What from an episode of South Park though none of them could specifically remember which one. I later found a page on Wikipedia that lists off all of the Doctor Who parodies on television and film since the 1960s. South Park is nowhere on the list. My memory was imaginary. We all dreamed it up. Hence, the Mandela Effect.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Now that you mention it, I get the feeling I did watch such an episode of South Park.

winedrinkingcritic    20
winedrinkingcritic
1 hour ago, HotelKatz said:

Now that you mention it, I get the feeling I did watch such an episode of South Park.

Yes, but can you find the actual episode?

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Nope. don't even have to look. I trust you.

At most I could elaborate about such an episode, but that's getting a little off topic.

I wonder though. 

Is it possible to even slip into another dimension, where there is only the minute differences between the one you were in and the one you're currently in?

The thought is interesting, but scary.

Also, I remembered another example.

Which one do you remember reading on a cereal box?

Froot Loops or Fruit Loops?

IdiAmeanDada    47
IdiAmeanDada

At the end of Queen's "We Are The Champions", everyone, including me, insist that it ends with "Of the world!" after the last chorus of "We are the champions...", but that's actually not the case at all.  It just ends with the last chorus. 

winedrinkingcritic    20
winedrinkingcritic

That's an easy mistake to make. The reason they make that mistake is because at the end of the first chorus, it ends with "...of the world"... but you're right about the last chorus, it just ends with "we are the champions.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Well, I'm glad I made this topic.

I was thinking about watching the IT TV movie before getting ready to watch the 2017 movie IT, when I took a look at the cast list.

To my surprise, Dennis Christopher was the adult Eddie Kaspbrak.

Yet, my memories keep making me think that Andy Dick played him. I distinctly remember Andy yelling "This is Battery acid, you slime!"

Searches on the Internet provide nothing. I told my sister and she told me that it was weird I thought he was in IT because he wasn't popular enough to appear in even a TV Movie back then.

Even I think it's weird because I don't really care much for Andy Dick.