Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Searching4Belldandy

Highschool DXD: Hell's version of AMG?

Searching4Belldandy    6
Searching4Belldandy

I started watching highschool dxd a while ago and I caught myself thinking that this is basically a "upside down", hell's version of AMG.  Here are some of my observations from memory(spoilers): Goddess' are about granting wishes to gain market share. In dxd , devils make contracts. K1 is kind and well mannered. Issei is kind but a huge pervert. AMG is lighthearted, DXD is darker and more aggressive. K1 binds belldandy to him with a wish and they fall in love. Rias saves Issei, who is now indebted to her as a "pawn"/servant, and they fall in love. K1 has eyes only for Bell, Issei has eyes for Rias...and anything with breasts. Belldandy only has eyes for K1 and gets jealous. Rias gets jealous but allows Issei to mess with other girls. There are more interesting comparisons/contrasts but to me it seemed that dxd was a devilish alternative to AMG, filled with taking similar attributes of AMG and flipping them upside down and giving it the hell treatment. Makes me wonder how Hild would do in DXD...at full power without having to respect the doublet system. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the topic, thanks

Keiichi Morisato    417
Keiichi Morisato

To be honest, I never doubled down to watch it, even though I had heard of the series. Maybe it's time that I check it out. I've never been a fan of demons or vampire type anime movies or television shows. Last good horror anime I watched was the original Vampire Princess Miyu OVA series.

winedrinkingcritic    19
winedrinkingcritic

The only horror anime I've seen is Hellsing (which I kind of enjoyed). I strongly feel that Alucard would make a good crossover villain in the Ah! My Goddess universe, as a sort of juxtaposition to AMG Villains.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

High School DxD is not horror, at least from what I've been able to read and watch. (my watching time is at a premium, sadly). More like 'Action-adventure with a harem'. Kind of like Rosario+Vampire in a way, but the female lead actually seems to really return the male lead's affection.

As for the Hild Question. depends on one's views on Hild.

Personally, my mind's version of Hild is if she was put into High School DxD, would be a chaotic neutral character. She'd both help and hinder at a price and would always do it with a smile.

So... side character mixed with reoccurring mercenary character.

If forced to be the antagonist and fight?

Going by how she was in A!MG, then Hild would put on a show of being big, bad, imposing, and even getting some scary-looking hits in. Characters would build her up by talking about past exploits she's done... and it all ends with her getting easily knocked down, but getting something out of the whole shebang for herself. Maybe even it all getting retconned into 'she planned it the whole time' to allow her to keep her implied badassedness.

Wow, I'm really cynical towards A!MG because of the ending. I didn't even expect to write that.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954
On 8/25/2017 at 11:43 PM, Searching4Belldandy said:

I started watching highschool dxd a while ago and I caught myself thinking that this is basically a "upside down", hell's version of AMG.  Here are some of my observations from memory(spoilers): Goddess' are about granting wishes to gain market share. In dxd , devils make contracts. K1 is kind and well mannered. Issei is kind but a huge pervert. AMG is lighthearted, DXD is darker and more aggressive. K1 binds belldandy to him with a wish and they fall in love. Rias saves Issei, who is now indebted to her as a "pawn"/servant, and they fall in love. K1 has eyes only for Bell, Issei has eyes for Rias...and anything with breasts. Belldandy only has eyes for K1 and gets jealous. Rias gets jealous but allows Issei to mess with other girls. There are more interesting comparisons/contrasts but to me it seemed that dxd was a devilish alternative to AMG, filled with taking similar attributes of AMG and flipping them upside down and giving it the hell treatment. Makes me wonder how Hild would do in DXD...at full power without having to respect the doublet system. Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the topic, thanks

the answer is no it is very different from oh my goddess and besides its like saying that New York City is in Canada

grayfox123    133
grayfox123
Posted (edited)

Have seen Season 1 of High school DXD....and to be honest, I have never thought of it as the hellish twin of AMG.

One is a harem anime (although Rias is Issei's er 'number one'), the other is a lighthearted romantic comedy that isn't a harem (although Peorth, Hild , Lind and subconsciously Skuld wish it was!).

Also, my feeling about the contract Issei signed with Rias...it is very different from the contract Keiichi signed with Belldandy....in the sense that it is clearly obvious that Issei owes the demonic kingdom big time....and at first...there is some sort of 'master-slave' vibe between Rias and Issei.

So, not too similar....except in terms of 'it started with a contract.'.

Edited by grayfox123
additions

Searching4Belldandy    6
Searching4Belldandy
On 8/30/2017 at 2:49 AM, grayfox123 said:

Have seen Season 1 of High school DXD....and to be honest, I have never thought of it as the hellish twin of AMG.

One is a harem anime (although Rias is Issei's er 'number one'), the other is a lighthearted romantic comedy that isn't a harem (although Peorth, Hild , Lind and subconsciously Skuld wish it was!).

Also, my feeling about the contract Issei signed with Rias...it is very different from the contract Keiichi signed with Belldandy....in the sense that it is clearly obvious that Issei owes the demonic kingdom big time....and at first...there is some sort of 'master-slave' vibe between Rias and Issei.

So, not too similar....except in terms of 'it started with a contract.'.

It's entirely possible my opening post wasn't formulated clearly, for which I apologize. I'm not talking about a "hellish twin". I'm talking about a "hellish version/interpretation". The difference in the "contracts" is the point. A "hellish twin" would simply replace Belldandy with Rias, have Issei call her while she is working at the "Devil's Relief Agency" and make a wish. A "hellish version/interpretation" would not. It would distort and warp the basic fundamentals of the AMG story i.e. Wish vs indebted, purity vs perversion, monogamy vs polygamy. Also, AMG/Tenchi Muyo were some of the originators/influences of the modern "magical girlfriend/harem" genre(both of which are sub genres of romantic comedy). TM went the harem route whereas AMG followed the magical girlfriend path but still had elements of the "harem" genre. In any case, what did you think of Highschool DXD? I thought it was decent and entertaining. They have the 2nd and 3rd season on Hulu just FYI.