Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Forum Upgrade Feedback

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

Well, when I installed the modification to user profile banner, I noticed that member titles had been set to "unlimited characters". Unfortunately, member titles were something I never intended to have an unlimited character length. Ever since I originally installed the forum software back in 2004, I made the decision to ensure that certain features regarding user accounts would not be granted unlimited character lengths in regards to anyone's user accounts. Whenever a user selected an exceptionally long user title, it would always line wrap around. Back during IPB 2.0, member titles were added as a feature to user management from IPS. It's always been intended as a privilege for members and I always allowed our users to select their own customized member titles. However, one of the problems I discovered when I applied the modification to the "User Profile Info", the UPI, that's what IPS refers to the user profile content that is attached to each message a user posts on the forums, that when I upgraded to IPS 4.2, the upgrade reset the community software to defaults on a lot of options.

It was only recently that I opted to restore the original limits to the member titles to a length of 18 characters, to prevent the conflict with the UPI. The information regarding the post content that appears in a user's profile area was never hidden nor removed, it was simply hidden by the extended member titles. repairing the formatting area under your avatar can be corrected by simply selecting a shorter member title.

The reason I have placed certain limits on the community such as member Titles, length of usernames, flood control, message editing, avatar sizes, etc., is because I don't run into problems where members are abusing certain features of the community. Unlimited is just something that I reserve for myself as site administration but that I don't actually take advantage of those unlimited requirements. What everyone should be aware is that to manage our community so that we don't run into conflicts with our web-host, this is necessary to ensure that we don't abuse the system resources of our web-host provider. We've actually ran into problems before and I'm always monitoring how much memory, bandwidth, server loads, and other resources that are available to me so that our community isn't shut down.

It was more than a few years ago that our web-host upgraded their servers so we don't run into serious conflicts anymore but that I have to carefully monitor the site. I'm hoping that our community understands this and that they don't think that these features are being limited out of spite. There was a time when I didn't even have member titles enabled and one time, we had a member who had linked his printer to the internet, then linked his internet-connected printer to his user profile which caused some serious problems not just with our website but with the community. It took me quite some time to figure out what the problem was until I tracked the problem down to a user's registered account.

Imaginos1892    18
Imaginos1892
On 9/16/2017 at 5:32 PM, Imaginos1892 said:

Forums no longer have a Total posts in this topic: at the top.

I see now, each post's number is in the titlebar. Very handy.

Several times I have tried to include quotes from posts on different pages in one post, and found that the edit box sometimes survives changing pages, sometimes gets cleared, and sometimes reverts to some apparently random previous state. Could it be made to always preserve its most recent contents when changing pages?

Could the members' Title: string be expanded to allow at least 40 characters? Maybe 48, some people might want more than 40.
I like my 40-character Title: string (see below). I could cut it to 39.
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

The "User Profile Info" is a function of the software that displays only technical information about someone's account. back when we were using IPB 1.3 and throughout the 2.x series, the "UPI" was neatly organized as it is now. However, the switch to 3.x and beyond transformed that area into a jumbled mess. There was a mod created for IPS 4.x which I applied to the software which organizes that field and I thought it made the User Profile field more organized whenever a posted message is displayed.

The reason why I have always set limits on certain features of user accounts is because I'm not a big fan of "unlimited" areas for user features. For instance, the software allows me to set how often a registered member can change their username. Now, I could set it for unlimited but that would place the system ripe for abuse, with members changing their usernames whenever they felt like it. When someone changes their username, that information is stored in the forum database as a record and increases the size of the database. By limiting that feature to username changes twice in a 30 day period, it prevents the feature from being abused.

It's the same with member titles. The problem is that exceptionally long member titles are currently creating problems with the User Profile field and it's something I need to find a solution for. If I'm able to find a fix for it, I'll expand the length of member titles from 18 characters. The thing everyone should understand is that I'm still actively making modifications to the template skin (which is where I need to find a solution to this problem). The original default for characters was set at 64 characters, which I've always thought was too excessive. Just give me a few days to sort this problem out and I hope to have a solution for this problem no later than Wednesday. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. But, extending it to 40 characters might be a bit much. If I'm able to fix the problem, I may extend it to 30 characters, which is still ample room.

However, let me see what I can do about that field. There is one option I might be able to do to fix the conflict, which I didn't think of before. If I have to move the 'Title" field above the formatted area, I may be able to do that instead. But, I'll see if I can find a solution to this sometime tomorrow. Just trying to find a workable solution where nobody is impacted or limited by this feature. I should note that it usually takes me a few weeks after each upgrade to work out the kinks in the software when it concerns modifications that I implement to the forum skins. It's not the hard code that needs to be modified but rather the code within the skin templates.

Imaginos1892    18
Imaginos1892

Well, 30 characters would allow some more strings:

Bring out yer dead! (19)
’Tis only a flesh wound! (24)
Flesh wound?! Yer arm’s off! (28)
He’s a Lumberjack and he’s OK! (30)
We are The Knights Who Say…NI! (30)

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

Okay, it seems that a little moving around will allow me to expand the number of characters for member titles and I'll expand the field but that it still won't be unlimited. Just have to make a single edit to the source file. But, I'll be expanding the field. Everyone can rest easy that the User Profile field won't be impacted by the modification that I recently enhanced the community with. The field has been expanded to 40 characters.

Imaginos1892    18
Imaginos1892

I got my Spanish Inquisition back! Yay.

Two more things have  been removed — the option to delete our own posts, and to edit messages.

Or, could you make it possible to quote other posts into an existing post when editing? As things are now, quotes can only be added before it's posted.

Edited by Imaginos1892

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

I had it to edit for members to edit up to half an hour after the post was created. But, members will no longer have the ability to edit anonymously with their own posts. This is an option that allows someone to edit without being able to choose the option to remove the "edited by" message. This is something that only forum staff can use.