Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
DeLtA

Gun control

DeLtA    8
DeLtA
2 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

While I respect everyone's constitutional right to the Second Amendment, that right doesn't extend to you walking down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder because then you're the one who is infringing on the personal safety of other civilians.

If that happened, if the gun wasn't being pointed or used threateningly at anyone, is it really infringing on the personal safety of others? Let's say that they're in public and not walking into businesses or public libraries or whatever, and the safety is activated on the guns. Parading around with a gun would simply be to show their pride in their weapon and/or culture. Wouldn't this be a case where people simply don't like what they see, so they want to force others to change their behavior, in this case, telling them not to carry their weapons in a visible manner? Is throwing them in jail for that really the right course of action? The same argument could be made for indecent exposure and very socially liberal people parading around topless (I don't know if that happens, but say it did). Would it be right to just toss those people in jail for a few hours?

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

The problem is that nobody can agree on the middle ground and as long as that happens, there will always be fanatics on both sides of the issue. There are the gun fanatics who think they are entitled to own a gun and don't think of other people's rights but their own. Then there are the gun control freaks who think they are entitled to be free from gun violence.

While I'm not on either side of the fence, I do believe very strongly that gun control laws don't work. The only reason they are introduced into law is to make the average person feel good that something is being done, even when those new gun control laws aren't passed. If anyone would jump into it and discover that there are already laws on the books in every country to protect the public when it comes to gun rights, they would discover that the laws aren't even being enforced. The idea isn't to pass more gun control laws but to get law enforcement, the FBI, the Department of Justice to enforce the laws that we already have.

I'm not advocating that gun rights should be restricted but that's always been the ultimate end goal of gun control nuts.

The problem is that nobody can agree on the middle ground and as long as that happens, there will always be fanatics on both sides of the issue. There are the gun fanatics who think they are entitled to own a gun and don't think of other people's rights but their own. Then there are the gun control freaks who think they are entitled to be free from gun violence.

While I'm not on either side of the fence, I do believe very strongly that gun control laws don't work. The only reason they are introduced into law is to make the average person feel good that something is being done, even when those new gun control laws aren't passed. If anyone would jump into it and discover that there are already laws on the books in every country to protect the public when it comes to gun rights.

Far as the idiots walking down the street with rifles slung over their shoulder, I believe they should be arrested. Because all it takes is some gang member, bank robber or some other criminal ambushing that idiot and taking his gun from him. There are just too many problems that could happen and they don't realize that it's because of their presence with a weapon that causes the disturbance in public in the first place.

DeLtA    8
DeLtA

Yup, the freedom to bear arms seems to be at odds with the freedom of life/pursuit of happiness.

If I wanted to go to a concert, but I saw some dude holding a gun (legally) in public in front of the venue, I sure as hell am not going into that concert. My pursuit of happiness was infringed upon. :(

Sugoi    46
Sugoi
1 hour ago, DeLtA said:

Yup, the freedom to bear arms seems to be at odds with the freedom of life/pursuit of happiness.

If I wanted to go to a concert, but I saw some dude holding a gun (legally) in public in front of the venue, I sure as hell am not going into that concert.

Same here. At least I wouldn't be able to enjoy the show/performance under such circumstances.

Keiichi Morisato    416
Keiichi Morisato

What most Americans don't realize is that nowhere in the constitution does it state that any American citizen has the right to bear arms. What it actually says? The original text of the second amendment was actually written as follows:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When it was ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, the amendment was re-written to say the following:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Many Americans confuse the second amendment as being the right to own a gun when that isn't what it says. It's almost like one of the Ten Commandments that everyone confuses. It says "Thou shalt not murder" and everyone confuses it with "Thou shalt not kill". It was written the way it does because the Ten Commandments was written to allow someone to defend themselves or their country. The wording is ambiguous for a reason but it's odd that normal, intelligent people get the second amendment confused just like the Ten Commandments. It's all in the wording.