Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Diagnosed With Borderline Diabetes

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

Just received the news yesterday morning after a visit to my doctor. While I wasn't diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes, this has me worried since my family doesn't have a history of this. Not to mention that I weigh more than I thought I did, 257 pounds. Now, I have plenty of visits to look forward to just to stay ahead of this. Hopefully, this won't explode into Type 2, which I'm in danger of getting, since it had been a long while since I was last to see a doctor. Not looking forward to this.

DeLtA

Pre-diabetic? No worries. You'll probably be placed on Metformin extended release. And they'll probably ask you to exercise and lose some weight. It might be worth investing some time and effort into because it just compounds and gets more difficult the older you get.

Keiichi Morisato

Well, I think that I'm very close to developing full blown Type 2 simply because I've also been experiencing a daily wave of vertigo that has been ongoing since December 2015. These little things, combined with other symptoms that I didn't really piece together until I found out about this borderline diabetes just yesterday. The reason I just found out about it is because I just started going to see a doctor regarding my upcoming hearing for disability. But, I decided to do an online search for diabetes and vertigo and it turns out the two are linked, along with the nausea. I actually thought that the chest pains, the dizziness and the nausea were separate symptoms and I just hate going to the doctor. Spent several months in a hospital when I was a child for a bad case of pneumonia. I just remember my parents being very worried.

When I was born, I was born with a funnel chest, a congenital heart condition and that I literally stop breathing at night when I sleep, something my mom became very worried about. Considering my age, it's not looking good, considering that I'm well overweight as it is. I should weigh around 180-185.

Now, what I to look forward to is regular visits to my primary care physician just to keep track of where this diabetes diagnosis is going to lead to. I never had to watch my eating habits before and now I have to place myself on something called a Mediterranean diet. I just don't see how eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is going to improve my chances of not attracting Type 2. It's odd because nobody in my family has a history of diabetes.

• Upvote 1

Nena Camadera

Alright... I'm getting on my soapbox a bit, so listen up. This is serious.

Type 2 isn't hereditary.  Only Type 1 is, and it's rare in comparison to Type 2 nowadays. Type 2 isn't about your family history, as it's more liable to occur when the body is overworked processing artificial sugars and saturated fats.  I can't get into the medical aspects of it because I'm not a subject matter expert on it, and if your Doctor is worth his or her deploma, they'll have already explained that to you already. The main thing to take away from it is that it most often happens to people with an unhealthy diet.  Introducing fruits and vegetables while getting rid of processed foods-like, say, fast food, ready-to-eat meals, junk food, and sugary drinks, allow the body to safely loose weight and stabalize blood sugar while also filling you up so that you aren't as hungry.  Fruits and vegetables are low-calories, vitamin-packed, and are usually high in either water content or fiber, which make you feel full faster.

Listen to your doctor, Keiichi.  I can't stress this enough because I saw my father go through the same thing before he started exercising more.  If you're borderline, than you can still change for the better and prevent yourself from developing Type 2.  But it all starts with you, Boss.  You need to take a long, hard look at your diet and recognize that what you're living off of right now is hurting you, and take those steps to change yourself for the better.  Ditch the sodas, ditch the fatty meats, and ditch the junkfood.  Start drinking more water.  Get outside and exercise-not just a walk, but going to a gym and getting some anerobic/aerobic workouts in conjoined with weights-it'll help you shed pounds and will make you overall healthier.  Take note of what your Doc said you could and could not have and toss the junk food in the trash.  Start making a list of the things you need to buy from the grocery store and try to limit them to the produce section with lean meats and lentils, as they have less saturated fat.  Stick to the list so you don't go browsing for the items you crave and don't go shopping on an empty stomach.

You can do the Mediterranean diet, Keiichi. You still have the opportunity to overcome this, however it needs to start with you. 

I don't want to say anymore out here.  If you would like though, send me a message and we'll talk off-line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sugoi
On 23.9.2017 at 1:40 PM, Nena Camadera said:

Introducing fruits and vegetables while getting rid of processed foods-like, say, fast food, ready-to-eat meals, junk food, and sugary drinks, allow the body to safely loose weight and stabalize blood sugar while also filling you up so that you aren't as hungry.  Fruits and vegetables are low-calories, vitamin-packed, and are usually high in either water content or fiber, which make you feel full faster.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. There is definitely some truth in that saying.

I fully agree with Nena Camadera. Food is key to one's health. I personally avoid getting processed food as much as possible. Just get the natural ingredients (doesn't have to be organic) and cook. This way you'll also know what's actually in your food/meal!

Keiichi Morisato

Well, I've been trying to adjust my eating habits. The first real checkup, two weeks ago, I had gained three pounds over two weeks. That was when I was given some guidelines for a diet. While it's still difficult, I'm trying to find a balance of the foods I can eat and still retain some flavor in my diet. While I do still drink carbonated sodas, ice cream, chips not to mention a burrito every so often, a hot dog or two every few days, ravioli and whatnot ... I did manage to lose two pounds. So, the semi-diet I have balanced myself with seems to be working somewhat but it's still a struggle. Now, I have take vitamin shots every week over the course of three months (I'm just not looking forward to this because I hate needles with a passion). The first shot, it didn't hurt, but I did start to feel the sting of that needle on the way home (my sister has been taking me because I have trouble getting around).

Next month, I have a regular visit with my doctor for another series of blood tests and they also want to check my glucose levels to see if my condition is getting any better. Besides the pre-diabetes, I discovered that I also have breathing difficulties. Something that I wasn't told but that was indicated on a summary report I get after each visit. have plans to also get my flu shot on next month's visit.

I don't know what's going on but each visit seems to bring another round of problems. Just feels like a never ending cycle. This all started over a month ago when my sister forced me to go get checked out. Since I turn 51 next month, I guess I should have expected this. I'm not depressed about it but it does feel like a punch in the gut each time. I should be thankful that my sister cares enough to make sure her big brother remains around. Between all of this and the vertigo, the heart problems and chest pains ... all I can do is sigh and remain calm about it. I think my mom's passing a few years ago has had an effect on my health, more-so than I realized before.

• Upvote 1

gdata1954
On 10/8/2017 at 6:28 PM, Keiichi Morisato said:

Well, I've been trying to adjust my eating habits. The first real checkup, two weeks ago, I had gained three pounds over two weeks. That was when I was given some guidelines for a diet. While it's still difficult, I'm trying to find a balance of the foods I can eat and still retain some flavor in my diet. While I do still drink carbonated sodas, ice cream, chips not to mention a burrito every so often, a hot dog or two every few days, ravioli and whatnot ... I did manage to lose two pounds. So, the semi-diet I have balanced myself with seems to be working somewhat but it's still a struggle. Now, I have take vitamin shots every week over the course of three months (I'm just not looking forward to this because I hate needles with a passion). The first shot, it didn't hurt, but I did start to feel the sting of that needle on the way home (my sister has been taking me because I have trouble getting around).

Next month, I have a regular visit with my doctor for another series of blood tests and they also want to check my glucose levels to see if my condition is getting any better. Besides the pre-diabetes, I discovered that I also have breathing difficulties. Something that I wasn't told but that was indicated on a summary report I get after each visit. have plans to also get my flu shot on next month's visit.

I don't know what's going on but each visit seems to bring another round of problems. Just feels like a never ending cycle. This all started over a month ago when my sister forced me to go get checked out. Since I turn 51 next month, I guess I should have expected this. I'm not depressed about it but it does feel like a punch in the gut each time. I should be thankful that my sister cares enough to make sure her big brother remains around. Between all of this and the vertigo, the heart problems and chest pains ... all I can do is sigh and remain calm about it. I think my mom's passing a few years ago has had an effect on my health, more-so than I realized before.

well i think stem cell therapy might be the only way to repair those organs i heard they are doing human trials in a few months from now but date may change and if anything make sure they send you to Stanford they will take care of you as best they can.i hope this will help you out.  

Keiichi Morisato

Well, just some updates. Initially, I went to a local hospital where I live from where I was suffering from peripheral vertigo. Several hours of testing and the doctors at the hospital couldn't find out what was causing the dizziness. They also couldn't find out what was causing my chest pains either.  Fast forward two years later and I started seeing a new family doctor. Well, that's about when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. What I also found out was that I had breathing difficulty and my glucose levels were higher than they were supposed to be. Been seeing the new doctor for more than a few months and that my doctor couldn't find out, still, what was causing my dizziness and chest pains. So, now, I'm waiting to be set up for an appointment to see a neurologist at another local hospital. The tests they did at the first hospital were the same tests that my doctor would have performed and these symptoms have my doctor perplexed.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the dizziness, the chest pains are associated with my heart problems. I've also been scheduled for an appointment for a psych exam, to determine the extent of my anxiety attacks. It just seems that all of this has happened at once, since this never used to be a problem before. But, considering that I was robbed while working an ice-cream route, pushing one of those ice cream carts, and the convicted felon's attempt to bribe me and threaten me (his wife has assaulted me three times) and that someone attempted to abduct me out of a parking lot where I used to work ... my life hasn't exactly been an adventure.

For the past several weeks, I was getting these vitamin shots and they had a curious side effect. They intensified the vertigo, the dizziness that I was suffering from. It's starting to look like I just might get approved for disability on account of these health problems. The dizziness and the chest pains are the bigger problem that I'm suffering from.