Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

NFL Protest Continues: Hemorrhages More Fans

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

With all that's going on, I thought this was something that needed it's own topic.

What NFL players thought was a good idea wasn't very well thought out. For those who haven't been paying attention, NFL players from just about every team decided that they didn't like certain aspects of this country so they decided to something "spur of the moment" and decided to kneel while our country's national anthem was being played. The national anthem, the "battle hymn of the republic", is played before every major professional sports game in the country and that it is seen as respect to rise to your feet and stand as a showing of respect not just for the independence of this country from British rule and as respect to those who serve in the military and protect our democracy.

But, after President Trump tweeted a message and NFL fans took a closer look at the actions of the NFL, what looked like an innocent protest turned into outright disrespect for what many Americans considered to be disrespectful to the American flag. One NFL player for the Pittsburg Steelers, Alejandro Villanueva, who served three tours of duty in Afghanistan before joining the NFL. Eventually, Villanueva would capitulate and apologize for being patriotic when it came to our national anthem. That's right, that sorry excuse for a slob, Alejandro Villanueva, apologized for showing respect to our national anthem and to our flag.

Since then, this whole thing has turned into one major public relations disaster for the NFL. Some commentators posting videos on youtube have stated quite emphatically that even if the NFL did come out and apologize over this that nobody would ever believe them because the fans would only see it as trying to conduct damage control on an issue that the NFL should have put a stop to in the first place. Villanueva's capitulation seems to have come from the Steelers owners who may have forced him to issue a public statement.

After the Steelers started the kneeling thing, NFL fans all across the country have posted videos burning their NFL gear in bonfires and one guy even torched his $450 NFL leather jacket he had purchased. I have to say that I support these NFL fans because they seem to think that disrespecting the American flag and disrespecting our nation's military is a fashion statement of some kind. Americans are very loyal and very Patriotic when it comes to our country and those who defend our liberties. This was evident after the September 11th Attacks and that the NFL just decided to piss on all of that goodwill.

After the Steelers protest, the NFL saw their ratings from 14% after opening season. But, expect those ratings to tank even more as NFL fans decide to speak with their wallets and stop tuning into NFL games period. What's worse is that now the NBA is talking about following the NFL's lead. If professional sports wants to kill their industry, that's one way to piss off your fans. What turned into  NFL Commissioner Roger Goodall trying to criticize Trump when the president said any NFL player who disrespected the flag should be fired, Trump took the actions started by NFL players and turned it into a national debate on patriotism and military service. This protest by the NFL has backfired and is looking like it's going to do even more damage to professional sports then they thought.

Simply put, you cannot disrespect the American flag in this manner and expect to walk away scot-free.

Keiichi Morisato

Never let it be said that there are never consequences to what you do. Not did the NFL "bended knee" protest backfire, not only did the NFL fail to embarrass certain people who tweeted that NFL players should have been fired but now it seems that NFL players are now facing the consequences of their so-called "protest".

It's being reported that NFL players are losing out on lucrative endorsement deals as a result of their "protest"; DirecTV is offering refunds to their subscribers who request a refund for the NFL Sunday Ticket package ($280 per subscriber) not to mention ratings for the NFL have been dropping ever since this protest began.

This is what happens when you show disrespect to your country's flag and the national anthem. Protesting is their constitutional right but you don't disrespect your country, the men and women in the armed services who protect your freedom and the pride that your countrymen have for your country.

Keiichi Morisato

Somebody needs to give the NFL a reality check and a weekend call. The NFL protests continue and so do the protests. One particular sports bar in New Jersey vowed to never show another NFL game ever again until the NFL player's protests end against the American flag and the veterans that have served our country and who continue to serve. The sports bar, this past Veteran's Day, was packed with customers who showed up to support their call for action against the NFL.

The NFL teams continue to hemorrhage fans as more and more seats go empty the longer this boycott goes on.

Personally, I support the fans and the country who continue to boycott the NFL, their games, their merchandise and I support anyone who continues to rally against the professional players of the NFL.

So, what do you think? Has the NFL did the right thing by offending the military, our flag and our veterans? Feel free to post your thoughts on this divided issue.

Imaginos1892
5 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

So, what do you think? Has the NFL did the right thing by offending the military, our flag and our veterans? Feel free to post your thoughts on this divided issue.

First, let me say that I am a completely disinterested party. I never saw the appeal in sitting on my dead ass watching somebody else play a game. I can't have much effect on the issue, because I was already ignoring them.

That said, those players have just proven to me that they are what I always thought they were — a bunch of whiny overpaid spoiled children. They are given more money in a year than most people earn in a lifetime, and now those privileged twits feel entitled to protest that this great nation is not perfect. Their tantrums are not making anything better. What they need most is to grow up and do something useful with their lives.

Playing their silly games brings nothing new into the world. They do not create value, in terms of either material or knowledge. When the game is over, it makes no difference to society which group won or lost.
———————————
Leo Bloom: “Well, if we assume that you’re a dishonest person—“
Max Bialystock: “Assume, assume!”

Edited by Imaginos1892

Keiichi Morisato

What gets me is that they are overpaid, multi-millionaires who aren't even affected by racial inequality that exists in this country. There is also the fact that NFL players are trying to turn this into a political statement when it isn't. The average American who watches or attends an NFL game cannot connect with them because there is so much income disparity. If they truly cared about racial inequality in this country, then why don't they put their money where their mouth is. The vast majority of Americans equate the national anthem and the American Flag with patriotism and what has happened is that the NFL players thought they could create something that would rally people behind but it seriously backfired and now neither these idiotic players nor the NFL can dig themselves out of this massive hole they have dug for themselves.

The way I look at these players is overpaid, wealthy cry-babies who think they are on the same level as the average citizen on the street. People who always live in glass houses and then whine that other people can't relate to them. Spoiled rotten is what they are and they will never be able to relate to the average person who struggled on a daily basis to put food on the table. The one thing you won't see are these wealthy NFL player spending time working at a soup kitchen, or helping build a home for the homeless or the poor. They don't have to struggle.

The way I see it, the NFL has simply lost and there's no way they will be able to convince the public that they were wrong. If they ever do truly apologize, NFL fans will never believe it and that it's going to take more than a few years to rebuild that trust because fans of professional football are going to see such a move as an insincere apology in order to go back to making their multi-million dollar salaries once again. Honestly, I blame Roger Goodell and the NFL owners for not locking this down and stopping it when ti first began. The NFL has lost not just their sponsors but they lost the support of their fans by engaging in this lunacy in the first place.

If they wanted to protest, they should have done this outside national television, perhaps in front of their team stadium. Where this season is concerned, the NFL lost. It's what they do moving forward when the new season begins is where everyone will be paying close attention. But, the NFL is a few years away from regaining the public's trust.

Personally, I never watch any of the NFL's televised games or listen to them. But, this protesting against the NFL has galvanized the entire country. They really should have known better. Especially considering how the the September 11th attacks on our country galvanized everyone's patriotism. The NBA should take notice because they were prepared to do the same thing, with some players starting to protest but considering how this has impacted the NFL, my guess is that they're going to have second thoughts on that.

When it comes right down to it, every citizen in this country is patriotic. The one thing you don't do is force someone's patriotism to the surface because it's going to harm your cause more than it will help it.

Imaginos1892

I think almost all of the remaining inequality in this country is a result of people waiting for somebody else to make them equal. That, and the leftists encouraging them to hate and envy the people who have earned their money and success with hard work. They want the results without having to provide the cause.
———————————
Some folks seem to believe that the primary purpose of government is to take money from people who earn it and give it to those that do not.

Edited by Imaginos1892

Keiichi Morisato

The problem for the NFL is that they chose the wrong venue to protest. I support anyone in this country who believe they have the right to protest, that I'm not disputing. But, when you have entitled, multi-millionaire, professional sports athletes going on national, broadcast television, during a sporting event and conducting their protest while our national anthem is being sung, I just believe that is the wrong place to start your protest. When someone turns on the television to watch an NFL game, they want to watch a football game, but get inundated with the same crap that you see on CNN or youtube.

When it comes to protesting, if these players wanted to protest, they should have held their protest during a practice warmup at their team's stadium, or held the protest outside their stadium, or maybe organize a rally outside a police station or even city hall. But, what they did was they decided to use their wealth, their celebrity status, and hold their protest while the national anthem is being sung, while everyone showed respect to the military and our country's flag. When it all comes down to it, the one thing the vast majority in the country are, at their very core, is patriotic and that's what our country's flag and our national flag represent: respect to our country, our flag and those who serve in our armed services and protect our freedoms.

To turn this into a public spectacle, and don't let anyone fool you, that's exactly what the NFL has done, they've managed to make themselves look like complete entitled jerks. Far as this current season of the NFL is concerned, they have lost and their message of respect for everyone, regardless of their ethnic background, has become lost on those people who have more wealth than the average American. The lesson these entitled professional football players have learned is that they have managed to rally nearly the entire country against the chosen profession. Americans buy official NFL merchandise, they purchase season tickets and attend their games every week. Americans turn on their radios, watch their games on television, whether ti's cable, satellite, or whatever. By doing what they did, in the manner they did, in the wrong venue, they've managed to anger their very fans who purchase NFL-related merchandise and game tickets and managed to create a very big problem that will take the NFL many years to get over.

Rest assured, even if the NFL does a 180 degree turn on this sorry matter, it will take a few years for NFL fans to go back to supporting the NFL. The damage has already been done and the NFL brand has been forever tarnished by this ridiculous display from their players.

Keiichi Morisato

I'm just curious who is going to cave first, the NFL owners, the NFL board of commissioners, or the NFL players themselves. Here, we have three groups of multi millionaires, who don't connect with the average American or the average American football fan and they continue these silly displays of what they think they know. They even resort to calling themselves SJWs (Social Justice Warriors). This is something they are not. What they are? Entitled, overpaid, multi millionaire football players who are living their dreams while the rest of American football fans continue to struggle to pay their bills, put food on the table, send their children to good schools and to exercise their constitutional rights.

What are they protesting for?

I have never heard of any of these players being detained, arrested, pulled over, having their rights abused. That's right, professional football players. When was the last time one of these fools was a victim of police brutality? The NFL leadership has grown tired of this ridiculous display. In an attempt to put an end to this "bend the knee protest", the NFL organization threw in the white flag and agreed to give two organizations almost $100 million dollars to be used in causes promoting African-American causes but it backfired. Players continue to "bend the knee".

This season, the NFL lost. The players had hoped to unite its American fans and to join them in their protest, but they lost that narrative when football fans saw this for what it was really about, overpaid, entitled professional sportsmen who have nothing better to do than to do an issue like racial inequality into a political movement. Fans wanted to enjoy their favorite pastime, watch their favorite NFL games, drink beer, eat hotdogs and popcorn and relax. Eventually, the NFL is going to say "enough is enough" when their revenue starts taking a severe nosedive, owners start fighting back, and their paychecks start dwindling. The final result? Players get dismissed and we end up with an entire season or three with no NFL games. The NFL Board of Commissioners will be forced spending the next several years rebuilding the trust with those legions of fans that have abandoned the game, simply because a lot of wealthy entitled brats thought what they were doing was a good thing.

They had noble intentions, they simply chose the wrong arena to direct those noble intentions. The best thing to do, for them, was to protest on their own time, in front of City Hall, in front of their stadium, in front of police stations or in a park. I suspect that when they realize they made a mistake with their protests, it will be when they don'[t receive their paychecks from the NFL. After all, when the NFL starts cancelling games, those players simply don't get paid. They're only paid when they play. If you don't play, you don't get paid.

The NFL has to rebuild its image with the public and with its fans, and it's going to take more than "I'm sorry" or "we were wrong" before they can be trusted again, and that could take as long as a few months to as long as a few years.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/03/nfl-protests-continue-100-million-deal-bribe-fails/

Imaginos1892

What you have are three groups of self-entitled pricks that believe they know what everybody else should think.

They never had noble intentions. If they did, they would have spent some of that money they've been given way too much of, instead of insulting our country and everybody who believes in it.

They wanted attention. Well, they got the kind of attention their little tantrum deserved. Pity they're too big to spank.

Keiichi Morisato

Exactly. For the most part, at its core, I think people who are struggling who fight for a cause, have a noble reason to fight for social justice. The problem with these millionaire professional football warriors is that they're not struggling for anything. That's the problem. The wealthy think they are on the same level as the average person when they're not. What happened is that these self deluded professional football players decided to hijack national television, something that normal people would never be allowed to do and would never have access to, and it backfired in a major way. They fractured NFL fans all across the country and it hurt the NFL in ways that they haven't truly realized.

The problem I have with them is that they are so far disconnected from normal society that nobody takes them seriously because they don't live in the real world. The problem with them now is that they have developed "tunnel vision". What I mean by this is that this started out as a noble reason but when it backfired, they became so focused on a single point and blacked out everything else on the periphery. This is common among sharpshooters when they become so fixated on a target that they don't become aware of other threats or they miss what's going on around them.

The fact that the NFL offered almost $100 million to African American causes and they refused to capitulate illustrates this in great detail. Now, it has escalated to the point where neither the NFL nor the players can back away from this SNAFU. The NFL and these players lost the fight when NFL fans started boycotting the NFL and started burning their NFL gear and merchandise. It reminds me of people who become so enraged that they start burning effigies that reflect the person they hate. When it all comes down to it, it's going to take years for the NFL to repair its tarnished image and many fans will still hold them accountable because they allowed this whole "bend the knee" protest to grow out of control and they did nothing to stop it.

When it comes down to it, the NFL players are employees of the NFL and that the owners and the NFL should have stopped this the minute it started. The funny thing about this is that nobody paid any attention until President Trump hijacked the narrative regarding these protests and it ended up turning the entire narrative against the NFL and they lost control. Nobody is denying that these players have the right to exercise their constitutional rights where it concerns protests and free speech. What everyone is angry about is that these players chose the wrong venue, while everyone was standing for the national anthem and the protests were seen as disrespecting the men and women who serve in our country's armed forces as well as disrespecting the American flag.

When the national anthem is sung, it's seen as respecting the flag; you stand for the anthem, you place your hand over your heart, it's seen as paying respect to our country, to the flag and to those who have served and sacrificed their lives for our country. This is what these players don't understand and no amount of media "spin" can get the public back on their side.

If the NFL were smart, they would cancel all games for 2018 and make some attempt to repair the damage they've done and try to restore the faith that their fans felt for this game. But, I don't see this problem going away anytime soon and I think it's going to be a very long process and it might take years for the NFL to repair their image.