Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Kousuke Fujishima Sued by Former Fiancé

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

This just proves that the more popular and more wealthy you are, people you have been involved with in your past can show up and try to sue you for a piece of your wealth. This is what has now happened to Kousuke Fujishima, the creator of Ah! My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, Paradise Residence and Toppu GP.

Mr. Fujishima is facing litigation from a reported former fiancé after his marriage to cosplayer Nekomu Otogi. The former fiancé filed a lawsuit against Fujishima-san for causing her mental anguish related to their separation. Otogi announced her marriage to Fujishima-san and her pregnancy on her Twitter on June 29, 2016, and Fujishima-san confirmed the marriage on Twitter on July 7, 2016. The pair announced the birth of their child on July 26, 2016. Otogi was 20 years old and Fujishima-san was 51 years old when they married. Some Japanese news sources have labeled the union a "shotgun marriage" because the decision to wed was apparently sudden.

Before the marriage, Fujishima-san was rumored to have been in a 15-year relationship with a woman whom he lived together with in Fukuoka. Fujishima-san divorced from his previous wife in 2014, and he also has an adult child from his previous relationship. He reportedly got engaged to the woman in Fukuoka, and they had planned to marry after the divorce. Only nine days before Otogi announced her marriage to Fujishima-san, he reportedly removed all of his belongings from the apartment he lived in with the woman in Fukuoka. According to a friend, Fujishima-san moved out while she was away and then told her that he would not return. Fujishima-san had previously said on Twitter that the existence of his former common-law wife was "all rumors." Fujishima-san's reported fiancé filed a lawsuit for mental anguish against him with the Fukuoka District Court in November 2016, and the dispute is currently in progress.

Hopefully, the court will see this the way it really is, a scorned woman who is trying to get a payday over this. Suing someone for mental anguish just because they broke up with you? What is this world coming to?

This sotry was broke by various news organizations and anime news sites such as Anime News Network and Kotaku.

vanagandr    209
vanagandr

Truth to be told, I'm not so sure about who's exactly the victim here, but there's a lot going on to make a manga out of it. 

To begin with, we're not talking about a woman who just showed up out of nowhere, but someone who's been in a relationship with him for 15 years. And not only that, but said man just went ahead and married someone entirely different because he apparently got her pregnant. While I may not know all the details about this story (nor I care, as I hate celebrity gossip stories), I can't quite say that this is merely the woman's fault. Also, Mr Fujishima's attempts to hide the fact that he was even married seems kinda weird to me. Almost as if he knows that part of what he's doing is problematic, and merely tries to cover it up. 

Again, this isn't my place to condemn anyone from a moral point of view, but at the same time, that's what happens when someone bites more than he can chew. Of course, that's just me, and in the end it's a ongoing legal dispute that's going to get settled regardless of our opinion, but I can't quite say that I'm terribly sympathetic to Mr. Fujishima on this occasion. 

Urd    52
Urd
19 hours ago, Keiichi Morisato said:

Hopefully, the court will see this the way it really is, a scorned woman who is trying to get a payday over this. Suing someone for mental anguish just because they broke up with you? What is this world coming to?

This sotry was broke by various news organizations and anime news sites such as Anime News Network and Kotaku.

A scorned woman who still spent 15 years or so of her life with him. I know for sure i would be devastated if someone whom i dedicated a decade and half of my life to would publicly (sp?) deny everything.

And also, since we're on a roll, what to say about a 51years old man who gets a 20 years old pregnant? We have a few names for that in portuguese, but it wouldn't translate well, so i'm not gonna try.

Point is, don't throw rocks so fast. They all have glass ceilings.

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

The way I see it, while there are laws that allow unmarried women to claim financial support with the courts after spending a lot of their time involved with a partner, something that is called "common law marriage", many countries do not have that kind of law. If she had conceived a child with Fujishima-san, then she might have standing for a type of child support but without more information, I don't think she's going to get what she thinks she's going to get.

There's just a lot to this story that we might not be aware of just yet and only time will tell, I guess.

But, I think there's some drama going on with the lady to actually sue Fujishima-san over mental anguish where it relates to their relationship as girlfriend/boyfriend. I never heard of mental anguish as being an argument to sue someone over. Just that kind of argument seems to be open fodder for every late night talk-show host.

winedrinkingcritic    22
winedrinkingcritic

Yeah, I would describe Fujishima's marriage as a shotgun wedding. My brother Mark was also the victim of a shotgun wedding. His psycho girlfriend intentionally honeypotted him with a pregnancy and got her family to threaten him into marriage.

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

Tell me about it. But, somehow, I don't think Mr. Fujishima was shotgunned into the marriage. The Japanese are very "family-oriented" when it comes to their values. Fujishima-san is slightly older than I am and he grew up during a period where ethics and values actually mean something so I'm sure that when he found out his young current wife was pregnant, he stepped u p to the plate and married her. I know I would have done the same because of the responsibility that I would feel I owe to the young woman who was carrying my child.

Urd    52
Urd

Wait a sec. Let me get this straight. Hold on.

So..the guy was married and divorced in 2014. He has a child from this marriage. Ok

He re-married with the 20 years old girl he got pregnant in 2016.

Which means that he had an affair for 15 yrs during the time he was still married with a third woman. This i understand is the woman whom he promised to marry after he got the divorce. (and got his plans screwed when the 2nd girl got pregnant.) This is the woman whom he misled with promises for 15 years, only to dump her without many explanations when he had to run away with a 20yrs old chick. And you don't think that screws over a person? You think that is something as mundane as 2 highschool lovers breaking up?

Unless i got some fact wrong...you're saying a guy who has an affair for 15 years while still legally married and empregnated a third woman who could very well pass for his daughter to boost, has any understanding of "ethics and values"? Are you saying this man is "family-oriented" when it comes to values?

That he "stepped u p to the plate", like he was a brave, righteous man?

Like...really?

Am i the only one reading this?

Are you actually putting this guy as a victim here?

The 20 year old girl who got pregnant is a gold digger for me, and the woman who spent 15 years with him being fed of promises of marriage after his divorce is naive, at the very best. But him? There's a lot of words that might fit with the kind of person he is, and none of them is safe for this forum.

Edited by Urd
grammar

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

I never said that what he did was right, only that ... scratch that, what this boils down to is that the woman who is suing Mr. Fujishima is basically saying that "I had an affair with Fujishima-san and he promised to marry me but didn't. he got another girl pregnant, married her and backed out of his promise to marry me". Hate to say it, but you can't claim mental anguish because someone made a promise to you but didn't carry through.

Now, if the woman had spent a lot of money on a wedding ceremony and Fujishima-san then decided not to go through with the wedding, then she might have an argument for re-cooping what she paid for in relation to the wedding planning but I don't think you can sue somebody because they promised to do something for you and they didn't carry through. I don't see that as a valid legal argument. I see couples suing each other all the time on these court TV shows where the guy gave an engagement ring to his fiance but that something happened where she decided not to marry him. The engagement ring represents a promise to marry you. If you don't marry your fiance, then you're legally bound to return the engagement ring back to the man who gave you that ring.

Here in the United States, the courts would throw this lawsuit out because suing someone for mental anguish because they broke a promise to you simply isn't ground for suing someone. I'm not saying I know anything about the legal system in Japan, but, I would think they have a similar setup. Since this lawsuit is fairly recent, my guess is that the lawsuit hasn't been assigned to a judge yet and that it has yet to be reviewed for merit. Lawsuits get tossed all the time by the courts, no matter what country you're in. What the courts look for, is if a lawsuit has merit to where it can proceed. Frivolous lawsuits get filed all the time, especially by bitter lovers, husbands, wives, girlfriends and fiances.

But, I think something will get decided about this lawsuit by the time Winter breaks.

Imaginos1892    21
Imaginos1892

What's next, getting sued for refusing a date? All that 'mental anguish' they feel from getting shot down?

Can we get sued for not calling the next day? For not wanting a second date? For choosing the wrong restaurant, or the wrong movie?

How far down the rabbit-hole of whiny wimpyness can this go?

Keiichi Morisato    422
Keiichi Morisato

I did a search for similar lawsuits filed in Japan and apparently, this seems to be the common method of discourse for bitter ex-girlfriends in Japan. I just don't know about this whole "you dumped me so I'm going to sue you for mental anguish" type of lawsuit. I've heard of these types of lawsuits being filed between married couples but single women being allowed to do this?

gdata1954    14
gdata1954

btw i think mental anguish is for  injury cases, medical malpractice and sometimes defamation cases not because you get rejected in fact many people try to sue for $5000 in the peoples court even though 98% of the cases that have it get dismissed

Urd    52
Urd
10 hours ago, Imaginos1892 said:

What's next, getting sued for refusing a date? All that 'mental anguish' they feel from getting shot down?

Can we get sued for not calling the next day? For not wanting a second date? For choosing the wrong restaurant, or the wrong movie?

How far down the rabbit-hole of whiny wimpyness can this go?

Don't try to ridicularize things.

While i personaly would never expose myself to anything similar (heck, i would never even put myself in the position that woman put herself into, in the first place) doesn't mean that the person in question is throwing a tantrum without reason.

Again, this is not some Summer affair that lasted for 3 months. This lasted for 15 years. Heck, that's almost half my lifetime. It doesn't matter if they were legally married or not. (at least here, after you spend 2 years together, you have the same rights as to someone who is legally married. You just have another "title".)

I'm not saying this is what happened, but imagine all the things that woman might have given up and the decisions she might have taken based on the promises of marriage(I'm completely making this up, but it's just to show a point). Imagine she sold a house she had somewhere else to be with the guy. Imagine she refused job offers because she wanted to be there for the guy and have time for him. Imagine she didn't have kids (even thou she might want) because the guy didn't want kids. Now after 15yrs the guy dumps her out of the blue to be with a 20yrs old chick. Half the woman's life is prolly ruined by now, by a guy who has been misleading her for a decade and half.

That causes emotional damaged, for sure.

On the other hand, Imagine he didn't have an affair with the 20yrs old chick. That he just had enough of her and decided to end their affair. Would she still sue? I don't know. But the damage is there, for sure.

Now as to wether there's legitimacy to actually sue someone over it? Pfft, depending on how things happened (and we really don't know, do we?), i don't think so, because i don't believe private matters should be solved in a court. Not at this level, at least. Divorce, child custody, division of assets, yes. But not the rest. Problems between couples should be solved between couples, period. (unless those problems involve some kind of abuse).  

The same way i don't believe there's legitimacy for so many other occasions.How many others similar situations don't get the same reasoning? 

Cops who arrest ppl who are drunk in the street and then after get sued because the person claims "emotional damage" from having spent a night behind bars. Oh my! I imagine that poor person will never recover from the shock (sarcasm dripping).

Teachers who are sued by parents because their children didn't have scores good enough to go to the college they wanted (and it's so clearly the teachers fault for that happening) and they claim the poor children are suffering "severe emotional trauma and depression" from seeing their friends going and they staying behind and their life plans shattered.

etc etc etc etc...

And don't think this happens only to females. I recently saw in the news some guy sueing one of the Kardashians after she asked for a divorce like some weeks or some months after they tied the knot. He's sueing her for "emotional manipulation" or something of the sort. (don't ask me which thou...there's too many kardashians to count).

Something you might also want to take into consideration is the fact that, since this guy is somewhat famous, and this did make it to the the news (international news, i might add), her personal life got exposed to public criticism. I don't know wether he's famous enough for such things to happen, but imagine the woman got harassed by media and got all of her private life printed in tabloids. That's not something a regular person recovers from easily. 

There's also the possiblity that she knew what she was into (she clearly knew he was still married to someone) and still decided to stick with him. She's no saint. Maybe she's naive as hell for having believed in him, or maybe she's ambitious as hell and got screwed over. 

But don't try to make good of a guy who did the things he did, pls.

Edited by Urd