Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Ah! My Goddess Parellels American TV Shows

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

The more I watch certain classic TV shows that may have been inspired the idea behind Ah! My Goddess, the more I'm convinced that's exactly what Fujishima-san did. I've recently been watching Bewitched over again and Fujishima-san has used a lot of the abilities that Samantha uses in that series. Take, for instance, Belldandy's "Jealousy storms". In the pilot episode of Bewitched, Darren and Samantha get married, setting up the premise for the entire show. In the episode, Darren and Samantha get invited to a dinner date with an ex-girlfriend of Darren. After a short while, his ex-girlfriend keeps showing up Samantha, who has decided she has had enough and begins to turn the scales on his ex-girlfriend. She causes the exes teeth to be disfigured, forces her hair to plop out of place and even forces a huge storm gust that blows open the front door, blows her hairpiece away and strips away her dress, forcing her to run for cover.

The more I look at Belldandy's jealousy storms, it seems this is just one of the powers that Fujishima-san has used where it concerns Belldandy. I've also noticed that he uses a particular power from I Dream of Jeannie. Where Jeannie shrinks herself (mini-Belle) and disappears inside her bottle. While Fujishima-san altered it to allow Belldandy to disappear inside a mirror, it represents the same thing. The whole "mini-Belle" seems to be identical with Jeannie. While the core basis for the series seems to be on Norse mythology, he seems to have borrowed other aspects for the powers of these characters from cult television shows that were produced in the United States. Even Keiichi-chan's clumsiness seems to have been lifted out of the episodes of Three's Company, where it involves Jack Tripper.

• Upvote 2

grayfox123

Interesting.

Funny you mention Bewitched....the show was aired in a  lot of countries....including Japan

Here are the opening titles for the Japanese dub

Bewitched was one American show that certainly got around the world....

More info here: http://yagazuze.tripod.com/international.html

• Upvote 1

Keiichi Morisato

Well, Japan did produce a Japanese remake of the classic series. I think it lasted around 11 episodes before it ended and had an Asian cast. But, many American shows from the 60's through the late 80's were often released on VHS long before they were released on home video in North America. I grew up on a lot of those shows: Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Brady Bunch, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke Show, etc. But, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie always jumped out everytime of I read a chapter of Oh My Goddess because there were too many similarities between those shows and the manga series.

Considering that Fujishima-san would borrow from other sources to create his manga series, I just noticed, long before many other fans did, of those parallels.

• Upvote 1

Keiichi Morisato

I've been sitting here for the past few days re-watching bewitched form the beginning. Eight seasons were produced for the series and I'm currently on the fifth season and I'm starting to recognize that Fujishima-san used the series to inspire a vast majority of stories for his manga series. I just finished watching a two part episode where Samantha's Uncle Arthur, who is a practical Joker, pulled some pranks on Darren and the end of the episode ended with Darren and Samantha permanent stuck with holding hands with each and it lasted through the second part of the two-part episode series. The more that I think about it, the more I think he used these characters and the stories to inspire what he created for Oh My Goddess. It's just interesting how much of the manga is inspired by American television shows. :laugh:

winedrinkingcritic

That doesn't surprise me. I remember how slightly freaked out I was when I watched ANGEL TALES, LOVE HINA, and A CERTAIN MAGICAL INDEX. I guess all inspiration comes from somewhere. That Mara Marller spinoff I've been working on is inspired by Dark Horse Comics and The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Keiichi Morisato

Tell me about it. What struck me was just how much Bewitched inspired many of the story elements in the manga series. Endora kind of reminds of some elements in Urd and in Hild. They're both always interfering in the lives of their family. I haven't spent time going through I Dream of Jeannie yet to look for similarities in that series as I just recently finished watching eight seasons of Bewitched.