Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
HotelKatz

AMG Winter tales 2017

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Xindran

A victory for Mara? Nah, There's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who read Angel Biter is bound to fall in love with that version of Marlier, at least. I know I did.

You're right, I don't see her being that much of a thug. I do see her eventually becoming curious enough (after a defeat) to ask Keiichi exactly how he worded his wish. He objects at first, because he thinks she can find a way to invalidate that wish with said knowledge. Mara convinces him it couldn't be undone anyway, so he tells her... And then it hits her like a ton of bricks that she's trying too damned hard.

As a First-Class Demon, she does understand enough about the god's culture to be able to slip in and out of heaven unnoticed. She immediately understands the implications: There are no shares involved in a simple engagement. It's all a plot to place Urd where she has a chance to reconnect with her Mother, and Tyr is in on it. That's right, Belldandy doing something as objectionable as falling in love with a mortal is immaterial compared to the greater scheme of what I call "The First Princess of Everything Hustle".

While Mara just giggles and doesn't tell Keiichi anything that she knows, She walks away, finally feeling free. Free of frustration. Free of the guilt and the shame of it all.  Free because all she ever had to do was to boisterously go through the motions and call it a day - just like the old cartoons with Wylie E Coyote and that Sheepdog. You know the one... The cartoon that starts when they punch in an the same clock: "Good morning Ralph"; "Good morning Sam"

She resolves to put on the "kid gloves" and prepares to put Keiichi through some of the more classic tests that mortals are put through. Sure, there's lots of paperwork involved with that method, but at least that way the gods had to stand back and play by the rules. That, and it beats constantly getting her ass kicked to within an inch of wishing she were dead by Hild-Sama.

I did have another quick idea you might like, though. There were times when I was reading an AMG! story and thought that, whether from the perspective of a god or a demon, our reality was the equivalent of them playing an advanced MMORPG... Makes you wonder how Belldandy's little romance would be seen by her own people then? I imagine the "reality" setting in that one would resemble one of those popular computer centers in South Korea, and everyone, "god" and "demon" alike, would be the local children there, after school, playing a strange gaming simulator. The game system involves network diving like in "Ghost in the Shell", or "Sword Art Online", and the game itself mishmashes something like "The Sims" combined with some sort of market simulator. Belldandy is the top scorer, alright, but her methods are undeniably a little... unconventional... It doesn't exactly help her reputation that her Father invented the game.

HotelKatz

That would be the Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog cartoons. 

Ralph is different from Wile E Coyote because Ralph as a red nose and Wile has a black one.

I'm nitpicking, though. In a comic, it was said they were cousins.

As for that idea, it would make Belldandy seem like an Otaku who is in love with a character either she created or someone else created. Might also explain how she can never lose.  Could make Mara seem like someone who is trying to get Belldandy to step away from the computer and enjoy real life as they know it.

Xindran

All I remember was being too young to know the difference... that and I was too busy laughing. I don't think I would have ever known if you didn't say anything. Cool.

Still, I gotta say, the more Urd-centric stories I read, the more it makes sense to me. It explains why Tyr is so hard on her. It also explains why Hild never just disowns her completely.

Your simplified version of Mara trying to get her friend Belldandy to step away from the game console is probably the best one, and simpler as well. You can see what happens if I try to flesh out an outline below... Marlier still gets screwed. I'm just leaving it posted so you can see how unnecessarily complicated it became (very quickly, I might add)

Let's just give Mara her day in the sun by having her in the game and finally noticing what Bell has been doing in here all this time "Hey, I think I recognize that kid". So this way, Keiichi is a representation of a person that Bell really, really likes - but can't drum up the courage to go talk to. She thinks she's been working up that courage by interacting with a simulation, but has unwittingly created a divergence from the reality that could have been. Mara gets out of the system and goes to find this guy, only to discover that he's been trying to work up the nerve (and the opportunity) to talk to her as well. It's not exactly helping matters that she can never be found outside of class - ever. Now there's a great WTF moment right there.

My original attempt at worldbuilding this scenario:

For the idea of Belldandy the Otaku...Not exactly an Otaku, though. This is a setting where all the locals are driven to an insane competitive spirit when it comes to their afterschool computer center time. Even the jocks go there to do things that would never be allowed on the field. Without much of a dividing line, they never have cause to use a word like that. So, yeah... it's an entire community of Otaku.

So there they are, Belldandy is from one of the local schools, and she and her friends typically play Order Mode. They have been challenged by another school, whose students believe they have mastered chaos mode.

There are two modes of gameplay. One where love, trust and order - basically all of the civilizing forces - create positive shares, and another where hate, fear and chaos - all of the uncivilized, destructive forces - create negative shares. It hardly matters from the game's perspective which you choose to gather as long as you're never milquetoast about the path you choose - because the vast majority of players have near-zero scores as all of their actions tend to cancel out in ways that are too subtle for the average player to understand. 

Belldandy, Urd and Marlier are from the one school. Bell and Urd have been playing this game in it's beta test, while Marlier couldn't care less at that point. There are some popular rumors about the kind of bugs that dive-able systems can develop, and it just gives her the heebie-jeebies...

In real life, Urd and Marlier are sisters from next door while Hild is their mother. Hild is the other lead member of the team that developed the game all of the children have been playing, and as such, she is one of the two Moderators for the game, while Tyr is the other. The game was originally crafted the way it was after a "disagreement" about human nature prompted them to design a way to actively see which direction the young adults in their community would naturally choose if there was a score involved.

Belldandy and Urd are best friends and started out the beta test registering their characters as sisters. Bell follows her father's teachings in her conquest of the game, while Urd... thinks she can hack the game by designing an exquisite avatar and let the virtual appeal do the work for her. Since she's on team Tyr, He routinely attempts to instill in her the way of life he has taught to his own daughter. No wonder she's a nutcase when she's in character. Still, given that she's basically playing against her own Mother, It's a wonder she doesn't permanently sleep over with Bell and Skuld IRL throughout this whole mess... She probably is.

Skuld is Bell's little sister in real life. In this way, it makes even more sense that Skuld would only enter the game to convince "Big Sis" to come home, but then gets distracted with the game mechanics and plays by herself - with no real motivation to make points, until she comes across Keitaro. She thinks Keitaro is another player at first, and she never "gets it" until she racks up enough points to start "using magic". While nobody is ever stuck inside the game in the sense of "Sword Art Online" , There are specific start/stop times after classes, and only one day of the weekend is open to players (even if that doesn't make sense from a purely economic viewpoint. This is a community-centric town), so nobody's academics are interrupted, at least.

Marlier seems to think the whole thing is crap after a few days of playing and tries to get Urd to do something else, even to the point of getting her involved in some of the mini-games within the online world they're in. 

Hild thinks it's total crap that her oldest daughter isn't helping her make her point, but is at least pleased that she isn't exactly making real progress for the opposition, either. Marlier, on the other hand, is not getting away with pulling a similar stunt, and as she logs on for the first time, she finds that she has been pre-registered as a Demon, while her sister and friends are registered as Gods. her mother has specifically instructed her to sabotage Belldandy's score by any means possible... No wonder she's miserable. To make matters worse, she is uncontrollably part of the team from the other school. IRL has got to suck for her, too... Wow. There's no way around this shtick... There might even be something Hild does to prevent Marlier from being part of the permanent sleepover with Urd, or that's exactly where the poor girl would be, too.

HotelKatz

Sounds like you have that startings of a good fic planned out already. I say give writing it a try.

Yes, the first couple of chapters will be awkward and you will wonder if you should continue. I say if you had fun writing it, continue to write.

I had similar thoughts thoughts when I started writing. I keep my early fics up, just to remember where I started from. Maybe someday I'll revisit them and give them a rewrite. Another reason I kept writing was therapeutic. It honestly has been helping me deal with some bad situations I had in RL. There's also a few more, but that's for another topic.

As for your idea, I wonder how RL-Keiichi will handle meeting his VG-counterpart? Or will it be the moment he logs on, he takes over his VG-counterpart?

I'd like to imagine that Belldandy would enjoy a Keiichi who has flaws she can't quickly fix and that he works hard to overcome them. Thus, Mara can recruit RL-Keiichi to help her ween Belldandy away from the game.

A darker path is that after the two meet, Belldandy gets upset/annoyed with RL-Keiichi for not measuring up to his VG-counterpart. Could give Mara an idea to hack the game somehow, so that the next time Belldandy tried to log on, RL-Belldandy gets a tongue-lashing from her avatar for not even giving RL-Keiichi a chance.

HotelKatz

This is a fragment of a very slight crossover with Devil is a part timer.

It is after Keiichi, the goddesses, and Hild discovers that he is a demon from Ente Isla. He is not a demon like the the A!MG ones, so he has no doublet. Dunno if it means his parents and Megumi are also demons, or if his power was sealed to the point where he became an infant, the Morisatos wanted a son badly, and so one literally landed in their lap. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qwXGnFcbtH3utbkGrWcO8cTvAGUcF5YNgolV9VTBbTg/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if I should write about... three chapters or so. Tonight's chapter will be featuring Banpei asking Skuld for a personal appearance upgrade.

Xindran
3 hours ago, HotelKatz said:

It is after Keiichi, the goddesses, and Hild discovers that he is a demon from Ente Isla. He is not a demon like the A!MG ones, so he has no doublet. Dunno if it means his parents and Megumi are also demons, or if his power was sealed to the point where he became an infant, the Morisatos wanted a son badly, and so one literally landed in their lap. 

Let me know if I should write about... three chapters or so. Tonight's chapter will be featuring Banpei asking Skuld for a personal appearance upgrade.

Alright, so... Hataraku Maousama begins with a conflict that spills over from a parallel universe. Someone's gonna be here to chase him down, and that person has been "blending in" a heck of a lot better than he is. I elect Sayoko to be the Emilia for this story. Suggestions: 1 )Unlike Sadao, Keiichi has absolutely no recollections of his "past life". 2) Seeing the "devil" in the company of this world's goddesses makes Sayoko feel lonely, and it messes with her judgment as she's spent all of her days thus far trying to determine if the amnesia spell she was given by her own gods to use really worked or if he's been faking it this whole life. It may or may not alter how Hild figures out who he is, but it will resemble the story better this way.

I think it's doable.

On another note, the third part of that Beerus thing BladeKnightmare wanted to see could be rebooted if, instead of being nervous, Belldandy has heard of this being's appetite, and she has been cooking for his son, after all. With this, her competitive spirit takes over. She hasn't had a real excuse to go nuts in the kitchen before now, and her excitement has everyone so spellbound that they forget to be nervous themselves. In the end, Keiichi can only question where his Father is putting it all, even though he forgets how much he himself overate during the Peorth arc. That should fix things. Maybe next year?

Another one that's too late for this year is a Ben 10 crossover. No need for Vilgax. No need for the other main characters. Just Magister Patelliday (he's got kind of a Don Knots voice) looking for a lost child from a species that's notoriously hard-to-find. This is a job for the mini-goddesses. Let's miniaturize everybody for the creature-of-the-week of it, even the cat (for the child's safety, of course). For extra points: Even if Urd is a search party all by herself, the first copies to find the child not only sympathize with the little one, but ultimately decide to protect her from being found - for any number of reasons the elder Norn may have close to her heart. *(cough that vaguely sounds like the word "princess")* Again, maybe next year.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, HotelKatz said:

As for your idea, I wonder how RL-Keiichi will handle meeting his VG-counterpart? Or will it be the moment he logs on, he takes over his VG-counterpart?

Wait. That immediately means that this Mara has the class-act hacking skills to replace the fake version with a logged in version of the real deal... 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, HotelKatz said:

A darker path is that after the two meet, Belldandy gets upset/annoyed with RL-Keiichi for not measuring up to his VG-counterpart.

...and Mara has the foresight to see this coming down the pike, if it's allowed to be a cold turkey switch-out for the real one outside. Brilliant. Making the two Keiichis converge in Belldandy's mind before introducing them for the "first time".

Hmm... Mara's going to have to show him what she's been "expecting" thus far... The rose-colored glasses he's been seeing Belldandy through are gonna have to be damn-near opaque for this to work. Mara will also know what shoujo manga Bell has been basing her scenarios on from the books they read back when they were kids, so that helps, too. 

Finding information on date simulator games might take awhile, though, because I have no idea what to expect... Hopefully, there's a comprehensive list of tropes for shoujo manga. I am not looking forward to sifting through that stuff first-person, but I will if I have to.

I'll have to resist the idea of having Mara fall in love with the lug during the process... by having Belldandy be the only one that was into those stories. Mara just knows what books to "borrow"? That's a fun place for a curveball - if Bell doesn't have all the books she ever read for some reason.

• Upvote 1

HotelKatz

Love hina was more-or-less based on Tokimeki Memorial.

The world god only knows has a lot of Dating game tropes in it. Serious, the plot of the series is the MCs using dating game tropes to save people.

Mara doesn't have to be an expert hacker, she just needs connections (that either she or Hild has) and people who'll help her plan things out. The people could merely be names on a forum.

Remember, December has 31 days. I can still throw in a Ben 10 chapter. I just can't really use anything beyond the first series, due to lack of knowledge. I'm tempted to have Keiichi use the onmitrix, only for Mara to go all-fangirl over it, either for the ability to change forms so easily for a mortal, or she's a diehard fan for Azumuth. I can still do the reboot for the Beerus chapter.

• Upvote 1

Xindran

Actually, you pulled two stories I know right outta the hat on the first try. I never saw them as shoujo genre because they were more action/comedy, and I like long continuities. If normal manga is fair game, then it just has to be someone with a meek male protagonist for the character Bell wants.... Oh. *slaps forehead* That's the point!

Then TWGOK shows us the kind of dating sims girls play as well (they did a body switch episode, too).

If I keep the "daughter of one of the original game developers" for the short and sweet version of the story, Mara can be somewhere in-between on the skill ladder, and strangely enough, maybe a couple of those usernames will be people she knows, and she has no idea. nice.

Mara the Diehard Azmuth fan. Gotta be. Also, I'm flipping a coin here between two outcomes.

1) A Belldandy who knows exactly what the Omnitrix is, that Mara is NOT fangirling over her Keiichi, and Bell manages to help get it off of Kei's wrist and gives it to her in time for Vilgax's cruiser to flyover the planet. The sensor suite on the cruiser picks up absolutely no traces of the technology because Mara's already giving it back to ol' Azmuth in the hopes of getting to speak to him just once (or apprenticing and/or enslaving herself to him, whatever). Mara's safe because... First Class Demon. Vilgax couldn't touch her if he wanted to, though Hild might be tempted to make a contract with him just to make things interesting...

2) Belldandy gets super jealous over Mara pawing at her Keiichi, and all of the electronics for tens of miles fry in her wake, including the Omnitrix, which is now permanently fused to Keiichi through a system malfunction (she also manages to light off plenty of Kaiju alarms worldwide in the process as well),. However, while the Omnitrix is in the process of rebooting, Vilgax's cruiser flies over and only notes residual traces of "a crude earthling attempt at an EMP weapon" and just passes on by, continuing the search. (a great 'up yours' to Bell's lack of control) When Mara realizes that the great Azmuths' invention is now out of her grasp...

*pan out to an orbital view of the planet*

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Just a thought.

Yeah, I realize the competitive Belldandy is more correct now. "Keiichi's Father - Part Three Reboot" needs to be done.

HotelKatz

I'd suggest another series, but it only has one character that is based on a character from a dating game.

Yandere Kanojo.

It's a 4-koma gag manga, but still pretty fun.

HotelKatz

I'm actually tempted to make Belldandy the 2nd class goddess its own fic.

Here's a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12745033/30/AMG-Winter-Tales-2017

A Belldandy without Skuld or Urd to help her everytime. If I were to write it, they'd probably appear as frequently as Lind or Peorth did in canon. Going by the dialogue, this Belldandy never watched Keiichi, either.

I'd like to say that dealing with Mara would be trickier, as this Belldandy either doesn't have as much permission to use her full power, or she doesn't have the full power of Canon-Belldandy... but when I look back, Belldandy never really had to use any of her magic power. Only her wits and luck. So no change there, save for the times where Skuld and Urd were needed.

Of course, there's a small part of me that wants to go with 'Urd and Skuld are still her sisters and Belldandy is still a norn, but something's happened to make Belldandy an earthbound goddess' storyline.

Another part of me wants to go with 'Belldandy was sealed away in that mirror and slept, but time weakened the seal and the smell of tea woke her up' storyline. Probably could mix it with the last one.

As for Belldandy's desire for licenses, I'd imagine she still has it, but I have no idea if this Belldandy is part of the Goddess Relief Office or is part of Earth Help Center. She might've been a trainee who got sealed away after a nasty ambush by demons or something. I say that because her clothes weren't perfectly clean. 

I doubt Hild would have as much interest, as Urd's not always going to be there and this Belldandy might not even be related to Urd.

Or course, this fic could simply be one where Urd, Skuld, Lind, and anyone of Heaven are mostly stripped away from the plot. Which could make Mara's attempts at trying to separate Keiichi and Belldandy into a 'Ralph wolf and Same Sheepdog' plot, since any emotional investment Mara had in canon is more-or-less stripped away. Yes, I'm kind of the opinion that Urd merely being there made it personal for Mara.

==

Mara is in the process of sealing away Belldandy

Mara : Ha ha ha! now I will-

Mara's watch beeps, making her stop sealing Belldandy and free her.

Mara :Oh. Quitting time. See you tomorrow, Bell... Can I stay for dinner?

===

True, I suspect that Mara still would try as hard, but just imagine. Instead of Urd or Skuld there to rile things up by defending Keiichi and Belldandy from one of Mara's schemes, Belldandy simply asks Mara to hold off any major schemes for a day for three square meals.

I see a hungry Mara refusing because Belldandy is a goddess, but Keiichi making that deal? He's a mortal and is allowed a deal in Mara's eyes. Even if Mara normally only makes deal with women, a growling stomach can override Mara's personal rules.

Urd

The idea of Belldandy being a 2nd class goddess is actually appealing. So much potential with that alone. 

Could be an opportunity to explore Belldandy's character. God's knows how hard that is.

What if, instead of crazy plots and whatnot, miss little perfect middle Norn just...messed up at some point? What if she terrible failed at something and that earned her a demotion? Would surely make her look a little bit more "human" (that's one of the reasons i like Urd's char a lot more...she's has flaws!) , and not the paper flat character that she usually is, who's always the perfect princess.

The self questioning, the doubts, the drama in her head... oooh... tasty!