Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Toppu GP: Thoughts and Feedback

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiichi Morisato

With the first twenty chapters of this manga series already released, what do you think of Toppu GP? Do you plan to continue reading it or have you moved on to other manga?

winedrinkingcritic

It's an enjoyable series for what it is, and ultimately feels like what Kosuke Fujishima REALLY wanted to be making his whole career. He has always put auto mechanics into his stories, and shoehorned in races to solve life problems, so Toppu GP feels like the best place to fulfill his sacred desires. He'll never stop doing it, so he might as well make an entire series about it. Also, I love the artwork, hands down.

Keiichi Morisato

That's true. But, I think that you'll find that with most manga creators. But, I think that Fujishima-san may be overdoing the moto-racing just a bit. I think the manga could be more balanced by injecting more of the personal lives of these characters away from the track or the races. It's a nice manga but it started to lose me a few chapters in. He takes the first dozen chapters just to establish the manga and what it's about. For me, the manga has lost the appeal that made You're Under Arrest, Residence Paradise and Ah! My Goddess interested to read. They weren't overly burdensome. You're Under Arrest dealt with Fujishima-sans fascination with motorcycles but it never went as over-the-top as Toppu GP does.

I'll keep reading it for a little while longer but I hope that he decides to inject a little more of the personal lives of these characters. I just fancy myself reading a manga where every chapter, the story just deals with motorcycles racing around in a circle. After some time, it just starts to look like the same story, over and over again and its manga fans he wants to keep entertained, if he expects them to keep buying into this series.

Keep in mind that I've developed this opinion after reading the first seventeen chapters of the manga series.

winedrinkingcritic

I think what I was starting to do in Toppu GP video comic episodes 6 and 7, where I animated the panels to convey movement during the racing scenes, is exactly how Toppu GP should be seen. I intend to do that more in the next video comic episodes. It's a lot more work on my part, but the end result is totally worth it. Episode 7 is the best one because of all the animation work done in it.

Keiichi Morisato

I plan on reading through chapters 18-20 to see if Fujishima-san has changed the direction or to see if it's just more of the same.