Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Endimion

Belldandy Angel feathers: The End of support

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Endimion

Since you all know, BAF is being hosted here for about 5 years.

On that period it had little to no traffic. So I decided to not support its outdated system in the future.

The BAF website uses a set of php functions called "mysql" to connect to the database. Those functions are now deprecated and as soon as PHP advances to newer and newer versions, the websites using them will simply stop working.

The day that happens is the day BAF website will cease its existence.

bafd.png

Edited by Endimion

Keiichi Morisato

It's sad that it has come to that. However, we'll continue to host it as long as it continues to function. Endymion raises a particular valid point. When the newer versions of PHP render our hosting of BAF as incompatible with what is hosted on our site, such as the site no longer being able to load up, then we'll make the decision on removing it from the site. My main point was in preserving the original BAF so that visitors, guests and members could see what made BAF so important to the online anime and manga community. That's why it was sad when we all saw Sake, Angels and Bugs go away and even AnimeSuki has become nothing more than an archived version of that particular anime community. Far as I know, we're the only remaining surviving and active Ah! My Goddess community still in existence, which is a testament to the the loyalty that our members, our community has provided us. Thanks, Endymion, for posting this. Long as everyone continues to support our efforts here, our members will always have a place to call home.

zrdb

It'll be sad to see it go into the dustbin of history but what can you do? Technology marches on, unfortunately.

Keiichi Morisato

Tell me about. But, as long as BAF continues to load on our site, we'll keep it up for as long as we can. Hopefully, it will continue to load even with the upgrades in PHP from our webhost.

Endimion

I've visited php.net, it seems all "mysql" functions have a "mysqli"  equivalent, so a simple batch replace using a text editor shall do the trick.

I believe it will be easy to convert when php 7.0 becomes the standard.

gdata1954

can the site be saved or savable

Keiichi Morisato

The site is currently hosted on a sub domain I established for BAF, here on our own domain name, hosted by our site. Endimion restored BAF here on the goddess-project.net domain name. If he decides that he wants to take the site down or leave it up, ultimately, that's up to him. But, as long as the site continues to function (load properly), we'll continue hosting it until such a time that it stops working. Our webhost is constantly updating its servers with the latest versions of PHP and mySQL and that's what we use to run the main site of the (Goddess Relief Office).

Endimion

"If he decides that he wants to take the site down or leave it up, ultimately, that's up to him."

Actually, It's not up to me anymore... I've transferred the rights to the BAF community 5 years ago when it started being hosted here (you can read it here). None of my business anymore.

Anyways, I've batch replaced all deprecated DB functions to the new ones, it took me 10 minutes. The website is already working with the new database functions right now. The rest you'll need to wait when php 7 arrives to see if  everything works properly.

I think you can close this topic, thank you.

Edited by Endimion