Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

jimmytheshank

"Trial by Tenderness"

jimmytheshank    3
jimmytheshank

Have any of you guys ever read this fanfic by a fella named Cevyn Mcguire? Very dramatic and sometimes graphic in it's subject matter. Not hentai. But very well written and often times comedic as AMG! is. If you have not, I recommend this story highly. If you have read this story, What is your opinion?

littlefishie    3
littlefishie

I think I've come across this somewhere, but I didn't read it... Skimmed the first chapter and decided that it was too long... :sweatdrop:

Why don't you post a link to it in the AMG Fanfic Recommendation thread?

Ojiisan7    56
Ojiisan7
Have any of you guys ever read this fanfic by a fella named Cevyn Mcguire? Very dramatic and sometimes graphic in it's subject matter. Not hentai. But very well written and often times comedic as AMG! is. If you have not, I recommend this story highly. If you have read this story, What is your opinion?

Ah, yes...Trial by Tenderness (TBT) by Cevn McGuire (yeah, "Cevn" is how he spells it).

When I first got interested in Japanese anime, especially AMG, about four years ago, I soon discovered the world of online anime fanfiction. One of the first AMG fanfics I encountered was McGuire's TBT. First thing I learned about the work was that it was, at the time, over 100 chapters in length, yet was still incomplete, and each chapter itself was like a small novel, or novella. Undaunted, I plunged into the reading, and soon found that I couldn't put the book down, figuratively speaking. Over a period of at least four months, I read

all (by then) 123 chapters, at every spare moment in the evenings, and often well into the wee small hours of the morning.

War and Peace is often noted as being the longest novel in Western literature, but TBT has Tolstoy's work beaten hands down. It must compare in length with the old Norwegian and Icelandic historical-mythical sagas, a small part of which forms the basis for the AMG mythology. In spite of its length, however, the story is at all times compelling.

McGuire warns the prospective reader in his preface that TBT is, in his own words, a "blatant self-insertion fanfic", which means that Cevn is the central character of the story. Keiichi and the Goddesses are also important, of course, but Cevn is the main man. If you can live with that condition, once you've begun reading you'll probably see no difference between a real and a fictional Cevn (ya don't know the real one anyway).

Now that I've given a brief introduction, and because I'm again into the wee small hours and must get some sleep, I'll leave description and discussion of the story lines to other members of TGP. I believe that

JimmytheShank may have begun somesuch, elsewhere in these fora.

Avinash_Tyagi    66
Avinash_Tyagi

I haven't read it, but that more because I've always been anti-fanfic in general, because most are amazingly stupid and deviate far from the theme of whatever series its on.

Edited by Avinash_Tyagi

Ojiisan7    56
Ojiisan7
I haven't read it, but that more because I've always been anti-fanfic in general, because most are amazingly stupid and deviate far from the theme of whatever series its on.

Yeah, I agree that most are not worth the trouble, but many are, and one of these, IMO, is McGuire's TBT.

I submit that his plot lines are often far more interesting, and thought-provoking, than the comic-book stories of the AMG manga.

It's a matter of taste, perhaps...you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

Just Plain Evil    8
Just Plain Evil

i used to write fanfics a while back and still do to this day,but tbt is pretty good and it doesnt sway from the storyline,it has plenty of twists and bends,in other words..its a good fanfic.

ANDERSON2k2    0
ANDERSON2k2

For some odd reason, I never got around to reading it.

However, Destined Goddess (did I get that right?) was pretty good. Although at times, I did get lost in the pages...

redpbass    27
redpbass

Yup, the author's been updating for a few months now. But man, his writing style makes it hard to jump back in.

Ojiisan7    56
Ojiisan7
Yup, the author's been updating for a few months now. But man, his writing style makes it hard to jump back in.

Ol' Cevn McGuire is back? That's a surprise. I thought he was done with all that self-therapy.

I guess I'll check out his site and see what he's written recently.

bell_ring    7
bell_ring

Ahhh!!!! My Goddess..I cant take it anymore! I cant get a grasp of Belldandy in this fan-fic.. She's sooooo mature (in a good way). It's in conflict with my image of Belldandy.. A!MG is a light anime but this fanfic is mature and quite gloomy at times though there are really some good points mentioned here.

Anyway, this also indicates that the story/writer is really good.. ^_^

Ether101 Prime    22
Ether101 Prime

Does anyone know what happen to Cevyn?