Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi Morisato

Pet Peeves: What Irks You The Most?

aaron    5
aaron

when people pronnounce mature maTUre

You mean instead of mah-choor' ?

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, all three of these forms are commonly spoken: mah-toor', mah-tyoor', or mah-choor'.

So why do two of 'em bother you?

One thing that peeves me (a tiny bit) is when someone spells 'pronounce' incorrectly.

Everyone makes a typo now and then.

Yes, we do. I was just kiddin' you a bit.

But tell me, Mr. Aaron: how would you pronounce 'Cholmondeley', a town and castle in Cheshire, England?

You might be amused to hear the way the Brits say it.

ha idk Chal-mon-da-lay?

Ojiisan7    55
Ojiisan7

when people pronnounce mature maTUre

You mean instead of mah-choor' ?

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, all three of these forms are commonly spoken: mah-toor', mah-tyoor', or mah-choor'.

So why do two of 'em bother you?

One thing that peeves me (a tiny bit) is when someone spells 'pronounce' incorrectly.

Everyone makes a typo now and then.

Yes, we do. I was just kiddin' you a bit.

But tell me, Mr. Aaron: how would you pronounce 'Cholmondeley', a town and castle in Cheshire, England?

You might be amused to hear the way the Brits say it.

ha idk Chal-mon-da-lay?

The Brits say 'Chumley'.

And in Texas, the Gulf Coast town of Refugio is called by the locals 'Ruh-Fear-ee-oh".

Why? Beats the hell outta me.

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

I hads thought it would be pronounced as "r-eh-foo-geo", with a lower sounding on the "reh" or "rhe" and then "foo" or "fuh" and then simply "geo". :cool22:

Imthatguy    7
Imthatguy

Unrelated too but inspired by the above posts.

People that are jerks when they point out the proper way to pronounce something. When I was growing up my family had a very limited vocabulary and my much larger one was gleaned mostly from reading so I didn't necessarily know the proper pronunciations. As I hit my mid teens and started mixing with people more cultured(?) than I they where frequently jerks when they pointed out the right way to say something.

Tandoji    4
Tandoji

Imagine a pet peeve, where a person can't stand pet peeves? :tongue: Ahahahahaha, im laughing all by myself. Anyways... my pet peeve is when professors don't assign a name to variables in a math problem when they provide examples!

StarBlush    15
StarBlush

Pet peeve..

News people who report "...was killed early last night, dead."

I have heard this too many times, reported that someone was killed to death.

redpbass    27
redpbass

Pet Peeves, huh? I've got a few...

1) First would be people who think of (and very, very often proclaim) themselves as open minded intellectuals, yet their minds are so closed off that they refuse to entertain any idea that even remotely contradicts or otherwise undermines their own personal worldview. You know the type; if someone has a different opinion, they won't rest until they bludgeon the other guy half to death with their own opinion, refusing to consider any point the other guy makes, no matter how well thought out, while insisting the whole time that they're conducting an enlightened discussion/debate (this generally translates to "My idea is absolutely perfect in every way, everyone else is wrong forever and ever times a million especially if they try to argue with me, lalala, I'm not listening to you~"). They often call upon/misuse Occam's Razor or other famous ideas or thought exercises to justify their closed minded arguments. I swear at one of the forums I used to go to it seemed like the whole place was divided down the middle with everyone firmly on one side or the other, with every other person screaming "Occam's Razor says MY argument is more realistic than yours!" or some variation thereof.

I'm a little bitter, can you tell?

2) Another pet peeve is for people who say "Massa-two-zits" Do you see a "t" in the middle of Massachussetts? Because I sure don't.

3) And number 3? People who fake or exaggerate a southern accent. I'm looking at you, two thirds of country music artists and every actress to ever play a character from Alabama. I'm from Alabama; nobody talks like that here. A good thing too; nobody would ever take them seriously if they did.

Edited by redpbass

UrorFan70    2
UrorFan70

My pet peeves are usually about bad spelling or incorrect use of words. (And, yes, I know we're all turning into grammar morons thanks to spell check, texting, and email.) A few that come to mind:

lightening when they mean lightning

"would of" / "could of" when it should be would've / could've

rouge instead of rogue. Especially funny in mmorpg when there is a rogue class: Level 32 rouge lfg! Great! I needed some makeup in my group!

As far as the city/town pronunciations go, being from New England originally, I love hearing people butcher these (at least compared to how the locals pronounce them. Is there really a "wrong" way to say something?):

Worcester, Massachusetts

Leicester, Massachusetts

Calais, Maine

Concord, New Hampshire

Just my 2 yen... :rolleyes:

jidosha    4
jidosha

Imagine a pet peeve, where a person can't stand pet peeves? :tongue:

pet-peeve-ception

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

Feel free to use this topic to vent about your pet peeves. :thumbsup:

Imaginos1892    18
Imaginos1892

Yappy little dogs that are smaller than my cat. (OK, he's a big cat. But still…)

Idiots that SIT THERE after the light turns green, making me yell, "That's as green as it's gonna get!"

Idiots that race up to a stop light that has already turned red.

Semi-decent stories that are painful to read because the writer doesn't know how to spell, use punctuation, or construct sentences.
I swear, half the folks on FanFiction.net have to be graduates of the Infinite Number Of Monkeys School Of Writing. A few of 'em must be dropouts!

Rap and hip hop. I've heard music, and it don't sound like that.

Creationists, and anybody else that tries to substitute fantasy for science.

Leftists that call everybody who disagrees with them 'racists'.

Edited by Imaginos1892