Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
vonnart

Does Anyone Like Velsper?

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

vonnart

Maybe this might be more suited for the animated OMG forum.. but maybe it might fit here as well..

I was just wondering why the TV series, with its adapting of practically bits and pieces of every storyline, seems to be going out of its way to avoid using Velsper. I kmnow they've adapted the Hild arc as well as some of the "Travelers" story . but they've cut him out completely. Is the character so disliked by the director ofr the fans that they decided to drop him from the cast or what?

I have to say myself, that thiugh i liked the outcome to the Mystery Child Arc, I think later making velsper as a walking talking cat was a bit..say too UNORIGINAL for this series.(How many talking cats are there in comics now?)

I DID like the way Fushima had him going at the conclusion of the 'Familar" Story in vol#27, so maybe there may be hope for this cat yet.

Vonnart

Darth Tallis

I think it was more of a case of deciding what to use from the manga to make a series without too many loose ends if they had decided not to continue on, or if the series didn't do too well to warrant continuing. Bare in mind, the manga's been running twenty years, and as such, there's a ###### load of material to choose from. Now there are specials in the works.

And as for the unoriginal cat idea, maybe... But how many cats do you know change their sex just to keep their memories? Even Urd got her kicks in on that one.

Edited by Darth Tallis

Kleo

Well, anime wasn't that faithful. But I was very surprised that Welsper wasn't introduced in the series. Probably, they keep some good stories for a potential third season? Who knows...

L3g0la5

like? maybe not. But i do pity him a little. Also gotta give him abit of credit, he was willing to curse himself just in order to keep Bell in his memories. Takes quite alot of guts to do that.

Avinash_Tyagi

He/she annoys me, but the character has become more humorous since it was turned into a cat

Keiichi-chan

I like the character altho he reminds me of a rapid Belldandy fanboy actually INSIDE the manga.

I think they haven't animated Velsper because they'd need to spend atleast two episodes animating his intro arc. ATLEAST! And his intro arc is sooo similar in plot to the AMG movie. Infact, originally the movie WAS going to be a faithful adaptation of that particular arc,but it was changed last minute to what it eventually became. That's what I read atleast. If that is the case, the director doesn't hate Velsper considering he was going to make a big budget movie centered around him. I just feel like they don;t wanna rehash and reanimate stories that feel too similar to each other,because it's like they've already done that with the movie, why do it again?

Avinash_Tyagi

Nah, K1 is the only fanboy needed in the series

Keiichi-chan

LOL. True,but he seems more like a fanboy of all the girls in general so the reader doesn't feel left out if their fave is someone else besides Bell. I mean, I assumed that was the case when he started checking out Sigel. XD

I also got the vibe, that was why they allow him to make out with Urd occasionally. I'm pretty sure he would accidently kissed Skuld or something by now,but in that case it would probably turn off her fanboys since she needs to remain all naive and immature. Probably why he doesn't get to do much with Belldandy either. I'm still uncertain, who has K1 kissed more so far? Belldandy or Urd?

Avinash_Tyagi
LOL. True,but he seems more like a fanboy of all the girls in general so the reader doesn't feel left out if their fave is someone else besides Bell. I mean, I assumed that was the case when he started checking out Sigel. XD

I also got the vibe, that was why they allow him to make out with Urd occasionally. I'm pretty sure he would accidently kissed Skuld or something by now,but in that case it would probably turn off her fanboys since she needs to remain all naive and immature. Probably why he doesn't get to do much with Belldandy either. I'm still uncertain, who has K1 kissed more so far? Belldandy or Urd?

Well most guys are fans of women in general, at least the straight ones anyways, but while he has kissed Urd more he has done everything in his power to remain faithful to Bell, even with girls throwing themselves at him, so while he likes girls in general, Bell is his favorite, much like most Belldandy fanboys

Timotheus
I think later making velsper as a walking talking cat was a bit..say too UNORIGINAL for this series.(How many talking cats are there in comics now?)

But Mr. Fujishima LOVES playing around with manga and anime stereo-types and guest references. I was surprised Velsper didn't wind up with a cresent moon on his/her head.

Let's see, we have a defense robot that has developed a free will and transforms into a motorcycle and has interchangable expansion parts, a girl who pulls a seemingly inexhaustable supply of bombs and other weapons out of her blouse as per video games, magic girls flying on brooms, mini-ninjas, Terry Bogart look-a-likes on at least three occasions, a life-like robotic girl love story, sports stories, young love youth stories, animal stories, mystery stories, tales of the supernatural stories, several pages worth of lists of characters from other anime, manga and games, real actors, and members of his production and editorial team doing cameos, and tons of stuff we know are references to Japanese fads and cliches but are unable to recognize here in the west.

A talking cat that's a former demon that's cursed himself (meaning cast a spell on himself) so he could retain his intelligence, ability to speak and a few powers (and changed sex) is unoriginal? The whole series is unoriginal in that case.

(Just got to thinking about this today as I passed through.)

• Upvote 1

Keiichi-chan
Bell is his favorite, much like most Belldandy fanboys

Most Belldandy fanboys don't like the other female characters from what I've seen. They're to fiercely devoted to her to ever seen ANY women as comparible, so why waste your time looking at other girls? K1's attracted to pretty much EVER girl to the level of girl hungry perv sometimes, however he is in LOVE with Belldandy. I mean he probably finds Urd sexier and Skuld cuter,but Bell is the one that's BEAUTIFUL to him because of his feelings for her.

Avinash_Tyagi
Most Belldandy fanboys don't like the other female characters from what I've seen. They're to fiercely devoted to her to ever seen ANY women as comparible, so why waste your time looking at other girls? K1's attracted to pretty much EVER girl to the level of girl hungry perv sometimes, however he is in LOVE with Belldandy. I mean he probably finds Urd sexier and Skuld cuter,but Bell is the one that's BEAUTIFUL to him because of his feelings for her.

No that's not true, i'm like the biggest Bell fanboy around, and i'll tell you I find other women attractive, its just that Bell is better in all the important categories, she's sexier, more beautiful, kinder, sweeter, wiser/more intelligent, the most honest and sincere, etc. (she's the girl you compare all other girls to, how close to her do they come), and no, I doubt he finds Skuld cuter or Urd sexier (since Bell obviously turns him on more, love contains lust so it would be hard to imagine a love where you didn't find the other person sexy, and while Skuld may have a cute body, she has a very annoying personality, Bell on the other hand has a very cute overall package, since shes very pretty, but also kinda ditsy and naive at times, doing or saying things totally off the wall, but in the most adorable ways), but being male he no doubt finds them attractive, but Bell he finds much more attractive.

Edited by Avinash_Tyagi