Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Keiichi Morisato

what are you watching?

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

After finishing watching the five seasons of Eureka, I've started watching Murder She Wrote from the first season. I just enjoy watching those old television shows from time to time. Murder She Wrote will keep me occupied for the next few weeks considering there are like ten or eleven seasons. :grin:

winedrinkingcritic    22
winedrinkingcritic

I'm about to see Ridley Scott's The Duellists today at Alamo. Last night I watched Steve Martin's Pennies from Heaven at the Ritz. The Musical Numbers were great (as was Christopher Walken's Pimp Strip), but holy cow that movie was depressing. And a day or so before that I saw Terry Gilliam's Brazil (also at the Ritz).

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

So.... Decided on a drive-in horror theme this month for Halloween.

CHUD

Alright, I guess. Horrible monsters in New York city's sewers. Considered a cult classic online. 

Frankenstein 1931

I liked it. Greatly differed from the book and was the reason why the creation has a low intelligence.

Dracula 1931

Nice. Very nice. I liked it.

Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I really liked the costume they used for Gillman. I guess I really like any kind of practical effects.

The initiation

It promised Sorority hijinks and a lot of murders in a mall. Failed to deliver the former, but gave plenty of the latter. Has a nice plot twist that I don't want to spoil

Phantom of the Opera 1925

Lon Chaney is a master of makeup. Pretty much the reason to watch the movie again and again.

Elvira Mistress of the Dark

A humorous romp starring someone who did a lot of MST'ing over numerous bad movies.

Friday the 13th part 3

Okay, this one is because my sister demands we watch one movie from this series every Friday the 13th. This is the one where he starts to wear the hockey mask.

Saturday the 14th.

Decided to have my sister and brother watch this with me today to mock my sister's demands for the Friday the 13th movies. Kinda regret it. I learned that the name of the movie was originally Thursday the 12th. The plot is kind of like a cross between Poltergeist and Dracula, but tries to do it in a 'humorous' bent. Fails completely. You're better off not watching it unless you plan on mocking it.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

On Sunday, I watched the Sequel to Dracula 1931.

It was Dracula's Daughter.

It begins practically right after the first one and has some lesbian subtext in a few scenes. Doesn't have Bela Lugosi in the one or two scenes that has Dracula's body, though. Gloria Holden did do an excellent job in the title role. 

All in all, it was a engaging movie.

winedrinkingcritic    22
winedrinkingcritic

Dude, check out Hammer Horrors Brides of Dracula and Dracula AD 1972.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Thanks, but I plan on Hammer Horror for next Halloween!

As for what I recently watched,

The Stuff.

Larry Cohen's commentary on Consumerism for Food and the food industry. Some of the sets were on the Bedroom sets from the first Nightmare on Elm Street!  Seriously, it even used the moving room where a character died on the ceiling! The movie's antagonist is.... Ice cream/frozen yogurt, found buried underground! Scarier than it sounds! also has fake ads for the Stuff throughout the film and even as a stinger after the credits.

Hunchback of Notre Dame 1923

To be honest, after I watched this, I suspect this was the biggest influence on the disney version, due to the background characters. Still worth a watch. We weren't able to watch the director's cut, but plan to in the future. It adds like 20-30 minutes.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Tried to watch Chud 2 bud the chud.

Got through 20 minuted before quitting. It began with College students stealing a dead body for their class to replace the one they lost on the highway. Then the chud woke up and the students began to congratulate themselves for discovering a way to bring people back to life with shampoo, water, and a hairdryer. Then I just stopped.

The invisible man 1933

This got my attention. The practical effects were very nice for their time. The descent into madness for the title character was rather quick and the whole movie did feel like an extended last third of a movie, but it still was a good movie.

The unholy

Demon takes the form of a woman and tries to tempt a priest in New Orleans. Then there was a subplot of the priest trying to help a woman in a night club that was sacrificing its workers. my memories a little fuzzy because I kept falling asleep during this movie. It did have the priest using holy powers to blow up a midget demon, but that seems to be its only high point in my mind.

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

Just finished watching the James Bond films again and I've started re-watching the Eureka TV series. It really is a good TV series to watch where you can turn your brain off for awhile and be entertained.

Imaginos1892    22
Imaginos1892

Watching Inhumans and Lucifer 3rd season. The Orville is good enough to keep watching so far, although episode 4 got pretty close to The Starlost.

I've been recording SEAL Team, will start watching it soon. Mostly because David Boreanaz from Bones and Angel is in it.

On 10/27/2017 at 8:58 PM, HotelKatz said:

Tried to watch Chud 2 bud the chud.

I've always wondered, who sees these awful movies and thinks it's a good idea to make sequels? One was more than enough!
The 'C' is supposed to stand for 'cannibalistic' — but they ain't human! Do they eat each other? Eating humans don't make 'em cannibals!

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz
On 10/30/2017 at 3:08 PM, Imaginos1892 said:

I've always wondered, who sees these awful movies and thinks it's a good idea to make sequels? One was more than enough!

My guess? People who think they can 'improve' upon the subject matter or merely see an easy cash grab. The latter from either ticket sells or planned bankruptcy to either get rich or avoid paying taxes.

As for what I recently watched.

On Sunday, I watched Bubba Ho-tep. My brother and sister love Bruce Campbell, but I'm fairly neutral on him. Movie was pretty good. Elvis and JFK vs a mummy... or is it some old men who think they are Elvis and JFK? The movie leaves it up to the watcher to decide.

A little while ago, I watched Faster Pussycat Kill Kill, on my sister's decision.

Pretty decent. From what I heard, Roger Ebert thought it had some feminist subtext, but Russ Meyer (who wrote and directed the movie) said that was never his intention. 

Keiichi Morisato    423
Keiichi Morisato

Right now, I've been watching Star Wars: Rebels from the beginning. Currently into the third season. :grin:

Imaginos1892    22
Imaginos1892
11 hours ago, HotelKatz said:
On 10/30/2017 at 12:08 PM, Imaginos1892 said:

My guess? People who think they can 'improve' upon the subject matter or merely see an easy cash grab. The latter from either ticket sells or planned bankruptcy to either get rich or avoid paying taxes.

The tax fraud angle I can see. Shades of The Producers! "We had the wrong play, the wrong actors, the wrong director — where did we go RIGHT?!"

Except they never go right, not even a little bit. I cruised through the local Blockbuster's going-out-of-business sale and saw hundreds of shitty movies I never even knew existed.
All I could do was shake my head and think 'Somebody was stupid enough to spend time and money making that turd.'
———————————
"Ja, ja, zat is vat I thought. Zis is der kvick fuse."