Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
Keiichi-chan

Who raised the goddesses?

42 posts in this topic Last Reply

Shohei Yoshida

Puh ! Hot discussion in here.... and the air is so dry... *ugh*

*takes some sake from kleo*

Thanks. Just what I needed now. :)

Timotheus
Ahhh I think I agree with you. But can you shed some light on WHY hild would send Urd to be raised in Heaven?

Cut and pasted from my Urd's childhood article.

(I'm too lazy to retype all this)

Urd's mother was kinda surprised when Urd showed up (we don't know how baby gods and demons arrive, but considering the similarities of our physical forms its probably similar to our own). Hild was a high ranking demon, perhaps the highest, and as such she couldn't afford to get friendly with any of the lower ranks in hell and there was even more danger amongst her own peer group. As for the gods, they were for the most part out of bounds (conflict of interest and/or treason), but there was at least one god she could safely have some fun with. He was cute, he was smart, and probably high up in the Yggdrasil Operation's Command and possibly it's liason with hell, so anything she might learn was a justification for playing around with him. It was mostly just for fun and stress relief though, so the surprise 9 months later (or however long goddesses take) was unexpected. The surprise would have been these things didn't usually happen, especially not to her, and even more surprising were the maternal feelings this little life in her arms brought out in her. (As shown by Mr. Fujishima's drawing of Hild and baby Urd.)

As a high level administrator, Hild was used to planning on several levels at once (and who could say which was the primary one). So some serious points quickly became obvious to her.

One, her child would be both in danger herself and a danger to Hild as a possible weak point for her rivals to attack her through.

Two, she already had a full set of responsibilities with her career and probably wouldn't be able to raise her daughter properly, plus for the above reason couldn't trust any available local help.

Three, the child was a half-breed and hell probably wasn't all that tolerant of gods, full or partial.

Four, it was probably apparent she was a Norn, or at least would have a special affinity for Yggdrasil, and the best place for her to be trained for that was the heavens (darn gods).

Five, If she did become someone special in the Yggdrasil system, it might be useful for momma.

Six, heaven's where her father (possibly) was most of the time, so he could deal with all the problems of raising her. (Urd gets it from somewhere)

There were probably more points and a great deal of maternal heart searching (both on a emotional and practical level), but the decision was finally made to send Urd to heaven as soon as Hild could arrange it. Afterwards, Hild appeared to leave the matter alone, but I'm pretty sure she kept a very close eye on things. She really has strong feelings for her daughter.

Hope this helps. The rest of the article is at either Dark Horses Manga Mania forum or the Gateway to the Goddesses articles section.

(16 to go)

Kleo

Well, of course the new TV is not the manga, but have you seen episode 21? Hild brought Urd to her father, but she was not a baby, she was a child about 8 or so in human equivalent. It doesn't explain her reasons, but in the beginning of this topic we were talking about Urd's age and spending time with her mother.

SailorDh

BIG SPOILER kinda

Episode 21 shows Urd and Belldandy meeting for what seems to be the first time as she gets dropped off in heaven.

Just a guess cause it was a raw episode and not a sub.

Keiichi-chan
Hild brought Urd to her father

Please add a SPOILER* to your pose next time. :sweatdrop:

That kinda ruined the surprise for me when I got aorund to watching the episode. :cry2:

Timotheus

Okay, without spoilers (I wrote about all this before the TV anime was even announced), Hild did keep Urd with her for a while, my guess was untill she was 2 or 3 years old. Just enough time for Urd to have vague memories of a mother who was at first close to her and then sent her off to a strange place where everyone treated her like there was something wrong with her. She's still not forgiven Hild and Hell for sending her away, that's why she's so adamant about being a goddess.

Urd was aware of her parents differences, but didn't realize the problems being a "black and white" would cause her. Like most kids, she wanted to be the same as everyone else, especially her little sister. The older she got, the more problems she had accepting it, untill just recently in the manga. While her mixed heritage was known in heaven, it was one of those things that weren't mentioned in public. (But discussed endlessly in private, and Urd heard a little of it)

Belldandy knew who Urd's mother was.

Belldandy was either just born or about to be born when Urd arrived. Feeling alienated by everyone around her, Urd grabbed unto her half sister as her final link with stability. Bell was her sisiter, her family, and the only person she was going to really care about. That's why the bond between them is so strong, even if Belldandy sometimes wishes it wasn't. Urd has extended this feeling to Skuld, but doesn't want to let Skuld know for her own reasons (Skuld might try to use it against her).

ALL three were raised together by the caregivers their father arranged for them, but Bell was partially raised by Urd and Skuld was raised by Bell while Urd was in the throughs of goddess puberty and final training and testing. (I've calculated out their respective ages against each other.) That's why Urd still feels reponsible for helping Belldandy achieve happiness, Bell and Skuld aren't the only ones with a mother-daughter fixation.

Sigh, why do I just jump into these things, sorry about all the verbage.

Oh well(15 to go)

Edited by Timotheus

Kleo
Please add a SPOILER* to your  pose next time.  :sweatdrop:

That kinda ruined the surprise for me when I got aorund to watching the episode. :cry2:

Oh, sorry... :blush:

Keiichi Morisato

So, does anyone have any clues as to who raised the goddesses? :biggrin:

IconOfEvi

Oh come on KM, this is from 2005

Nanahuatzin

Just a thought

The three sisters seems to be very close,. Urd even declined to be a first class goddess to be able to protect them (why). they never speak of their father, nor their mother...

Also we know, if Urd calls Hild Mother... she will became a demon, so we can think Hild put on her some kind of spell, probably to ensure her daughter would became her succesor.

So seem the three of them live special lives.

So.. based on this i made some hipohtesis for my fanfic... just in case you want to hear about them.... :blush:

- Hild sent Urd to Heaven for her protection. As half breed she must not be popular, and Hild does not trust anyone, but she put a spell on her to make sure she would return as demon

- Urd in heaven probably at first was a token that helped to set the double system.

- I assumed that Urd´s father and Bell and Skuld mother are death. Probably before the doublet system.

- It has been mentioned that Beldandy is going to be a great goddes, she was sento to the goddes technical help line as a first job, to train her. I guess that she es being trained to be the future kamisama (this is just a tittle after all)...

- this makes Belldandy a desiderable target, maybe Urd knows something and that is why she is so protective about her sisters.

- They are very close becuase they are orphans.

• Like 1

Brian Xavier

Hmm interesting list... think I recall Timotheus touching base with some of those same ideas, Nanahuatzin.

Altough I think your the first to bring up the idea that Belldandy and Skuld's parents are dead by this time. Which is very possible, but who knows.

I do recall from the flash backs there where maids or helpers shown. (Like Season 1 flash back about Urd and the horse.... and some demon virus).

PS: IconOfEvi, the boss does this from time and again to help spur discussion. Hate to say it, but it is his board. Plus I feel safer when he necros threads.... tongue.png

Keiichi Morisato

Topic is still a topic and our members can still offer insight into the discussion.