Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
Timotheus

Mega History 25: Belldandy and Skuld's Mother

Timotheus    132
Timotheus

Part of the Goddesses' Early History Mega Topic

25.0 For the sake of complete, obsessive foolishness, or,

I knew I was going to do this someday, Belldandy and Skuld's Mother.

September 2007

To be absolutely honest, we're not even sure that Belldandy and Skuld have the same mother. Each of the Norns could have a separate mom. But it's more likely they do. The much referenced information provided in the Lord of Terror arc is actually not all that conclusive. In the Japanese text version Belldandy only says that Urd shares a half parentage with her and doesn't specify whether it's their mother or father. And while she doesn't spell it out clearly, the implication is Urd is her only half sister, making Skuld her full sister and thus having the same mother. So for now we'll assume they have the same one.

(The Dark Horse translated comment about how Belldandy knows about Fenrir because of a picture book of monsters her mother gave her is actually described as a book the Almighty One showed her in the Japanese version.)

Beyond that what we actually know about their mother is that she probably lives in the same heavens the Norns were raised in, and that's about it. Just based on the fact that Skuld is said to look like their father we can assume Belldandy might resemble their mother, but to what degree is pure speculation. Other than this Bell and Skuld's mother is a complete blank and she remains the biggest unknown major player in the world of Oh! My Goddess! next to Keiichi’s Uncle Ken.

24.1 Addendum...

As stated above Bell and Skuld's mother is a total enigma. Mr. Fujishima has given us NO direct information about her what so ever. And that makes what happened to their mom to make her such an unknown quantity a big question.

A possibility I haven't discussed is that their mom's identity has been kept a secret on purpose in the heavens. She may be the consort of someone else in the heavens or be in a position of authority where she cannot openly acknowledge the two children she's had with the Norns' father (he being the reason they're Norns).

That's why they were all raised apart from the rest of heavenly society, Urd was a half demon and the other two technically illegitimate, so being sisters it made sense to place them all together. In this scenario, Bell and Skuld don't know who their mother is either, so she may be working unseen in the background on their (and Urd's) behalf behind the scenes. (Such as messing with wish granting schedules, assigning goddess personnel to investigating mortal boyfriends, reopening First Class License Test applications, etc.)

The disclosure of her identity may be the final act of the story.

As an item of absolutely wild speculation on my part (read don't even try to find any supporting evidence), I'm wondering if there may be a connection between someone's mortal mother and someone's immortal mother, with the story we've been reading the result of an incredible arranged marriage plot.

If nothing else it would make one heck of a story.

jimmytheshank    3
jimmytheshank

Just to add something to this post that I guess would be considered............ "useful", there was a fanfic written by a fella named Cevyn Mcguire that tackled this subject a bit. Evidently, Belldandy and Skuld's mom was a megami named Frieja, while Urd's ka-chan was Hild. It's a well written fanfic that's about as long as a Stephen King novel. I recommend it.

Belldandy    1
Belldandy

I agree. I think Belldandy and Skuld have the same mother, otherwise it would be pointless to call Belldandy and Skuld full sisters and Urd a half-sister. That's sort of what makes Urd the 'half' sister, same father, different mother.

Ken    6
Ken

It has been confirmed in Chapter 286 that they have the same mother. Still we praise Tim's overanalysis!!!

One thing that Tim is right, Anzasu might be one of the main operators of the Ultimate Force:

And she's the same leauge as Hild on Dynamic Entry trope:

img000001.jpg

tedne    7
tedne

It may be that her name goes back to a hypothesized Proto-Germanic word *ansuz which later became Aesir. Not that that really makes sense as a personal name.

Avinash_Tyagi    66
Avinash_Tyagi

Well Ansuz is the Rune for "God" in Proto-Germanic, so perhaps Anzasu is intended to be "Goddess"

tedne    7
tedne

Slightly off-topic but she seemed to be surprised that Skuld was not grown up yet. Does Skuld have the ability to not grow up? If so that is more still support for Timotheus's idea that the sisters had a very hands-off upbringing.

gdata1954    14
gdata1954

they will grow into adulthood and stay there forever oh their aging stops too at the point

webmonkey44    13
webmonkey44

they will grow into adulthood and stay there forever oh their aging stops too at the point

And apparently suffer from potential back pain too...

Keiichi Morisato    418
Keiichi Morisato

What you have to remember is that Skuld is the youngest of all three goddesses and while she might not want to admit it, Skuld is still a young goddess. From the way I understand it, the growth rate of goddesses is slowed to almost a bare minimum and it's evident that the goddesses have a very long lifespan. Skuld has yet to receive her goddess qualification as she is still, technically, a goddess-in-training. While Timotheus might be able to elaborate more on this detail, from what we can gather form the manga, Skuld's abilities are, more or less, of a technical nature. Think of Skuld like she's in an apprentice-type program, where she hasn't received her license yet, meaning she hasn't taken the final path to becoming a licensed goddess, she basically still ini training and since she's still young, she's still growing.

We saw in the aftermath of the Terrible Master Urd storyline, that Skuld would eventually grow up to become even more beautiful than Belldandy. But, that she won't reach the age of maturity for a long time to come. Also, we know that goddesses live a long time and the brief flashbacks to Belldandy and Urd's childhood are misleading because they don't give any relative time index on how far back those flashbacks happened.

Skuld simply has a lot of growing up to do, something that even Kami-sama and Yggdrasil recognize. Meeting Sentaro was the first step for Skuld in becoming a goddess, as Belldandy surmised to herself in the anime, something that Skuld had to learn on her own. While the anime series advances the manga by too much, it's the manga timeline that you want to reference when trying to figure this all out.

Timotheus    132
Timotheus

For the old topic on the goddesses ages and how they relate to each other here's the link:

http://goddess-project.net/board/index.php?/topic/937-goddess-ages-sept-25-2007/

Since it appears of late that we're back in another period of Mr. Fujishima Sempia doesn't want to worry about the chronolagy of the story if he can help it the actual ages of the goddesses are relatively unimportant. Functionally, their ages are spaced about as far apart as are shown in the refered to topic, and the developement stages I believe went along those lines even if the exact length of time involved might be different.

The most difficult thing to keep in mind is that Mr. Fujishima is always working with a real life time span for the story's length and just keeps moving its end point up to the current release date of the latest issue. This means it is practically impossible to make the previous chapters fit into any sort of rational chronology.

Based on the most recent clues and terminology, we are still in the early or late fall of Keiichi's fifth year of college, meaning he and Belldandy have been together for three years.