Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Sign in to follow this  
ryujikun619

BOTTOM OF THE BARREL TRIVIA - 1/10/2010

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

ryujikun619
Skuld's Seemingly Endless Supply Of Bombs And Weaponry In Her Blouse.

As we were out running errands one day, I mentioned the Skuld's bombs in her blouse anomaly. My daughter commented on how it was just like in a video game, where the lead character seem to be able to pull a endless supply of weapons from out of thin air. Knowing Mr. Fujishima's obssession with video games, this just might be his way of paying a little homage to that situation.

To put it more clearly, if Skuld was a character in a video game, no one would wonder how she keeps pulling an endless supply of bombs and weapons out of her blouse as she walked through the game. The cute part is that she's doing it in a supposedly realistic world.

As Mr. Fujishima might say, "It isn't important that you know how she does it or that I know how she does it, only that Skuld knows how she does it."

The ultimate, bottom of the barrel, useless, Oh/Ah My Goddess! bit of trivia imaginable.

Divine Foundation Garments

I found a discussion thread on the Animeboards site about goddess anatomy that intrigued me, but they never completely answered the question.  So using their data and formulas, advice from my wife and daughter, and my handy little deci-inch ruler to measure some ratios, here it is: 

Belldandy's bra size is a 34B (or C) and Urd's is a 36C (or D).

(They seem to have become larger in the more recent manga.)

These are not to be construed as absolute figures however, there is a great deal of variation in the body dimension ratios of the goddesses as drawn in the manga.  These are based on what seems to be the middle of their ranges.  If anyone feels they have a better estimate and feel they need to correct me, go right ahead.

First off, skuld just rocks for having that ability. we know she carries bombs in there, but that tracking computer (TV ep 19) she pulled out? that thing was BIG. Im thinking she has hammer space.

Secondly, the measurements thing.....truly the sign of a committed fan.

i dont wanna take a guess on how big they are but....those measurements seem fine for me. :Minkoff:

Edited by ryujikun619

Keiichi Morisato

Thanks, Timotheus. I hadn't made the connection until you posted in the news topic I posted in the other forum. But, it does solve the mystery about what NASU really was and how it came into play in the Mini Goddess television series. It's nice that an innocent posted topic by yours truly ended up solving this mystery. :ahappy:

Timotheus

Oh/Ah My Goddess Trivia and Observations

Part One – revised on 1/10/2010

This is the portion of the Oh/Ah My Goddess Trivia and Observations list that contains most of the original topic’s material with only the items combined with RanMaFan’s Observatory topic or the three created topics removed. I’ve also deleted a couple posts that really weren’t germane to the topic or were wrong. It was a revamping that was long overdue and in the process I’ve rechecked my sources and other peoples assertions along with volume, chapter, and page numbers, and I feel everything is as correct as I can make it.

(By the way, there are still a lot of errors in Dark Horse's Colors Encyclopedia as far as chapter and pages go, along with a few misleading entries, so be careful!)

Hope you enjoy this reworked topic and feel free to add to or correct it if you find something.

BOTTOM OF THE BARREL TRIVIA

Tigers and Skuld bombs and bras, oh my!

Tiger Stripes – (Timotheus)

Volume 8, chapter 50, page 78 – as an example…

You know how Urd likes to have tiger stripes on her bathing suits and goddess outfits? Well that's a reflection of her demon heritage. It was actually from a LUM site, but someone there explained that tiger skins and striped clothes were a traditional Japanese sign of a demon and that's why LUM wears a tiger striped bikini and boots. I'm assuming Mr. Fujishima would have had the same idea for Urd.

Skuld's Seemingly Endless Supply Of Bombs And Weaponry In Her Blouse. – (Timotheus)

As we were out running errands one day, I mentioned the "Skuld's bombs in her blouse" anomaly. My daughter commented on how it was just like in a video game, where the lead character seems to be able to pull an endless supply of weapons from out of thin air. Knowing Mr. Fujishima's obsession with video games, this just might be his way of paying a little homage to that situation.

To put it more clearly, if Skuld was a character in a video game, no one would wonder how she keeps pulling an endless supply of bombs and weapons out of her blouse as she walked through the game. The cute part is that she's doing it in a supposedly realistic world.

As Mr. Fujishima might say, "It isn't important that you know how she does it or that I know how she does it, only that Skuld knows how she does it."

The ultimate, bottom of the barrel, useless, Oh/Ah My Goddess! bit of trivia imaginable.

Divine Foundation Garments – (Timotheus)

I found a discussion thread on the Animeboards site about goddess anatomy that intrigued me, but they never completely answered the question. So using their data and formulas, advice from my wife and daughter, and my handy little deci-inch ruler to measure some ratios, here it is:

Belldandy's bra size is a 34B (or C) and Urd's is a 36C (or D).

(They seem to have become larger in the more recent manga.)

These are not to be construed as absolute figures however, there is a great deal of variation in the body dimension ratios of the goddesses as drawn in the manga. These are based on what seems to be the middle of their ranges. If anyone feels they have a better estimate and feel they need to correct me, go right ahead.

-------------

Volume 6, chapter 41, page 135 – (Timotheus)

In the Trials of Morisato, part I, Dark Horse translated the banner behind Keiichi as "Oh Keiichi, Our Hero!" An independent translation (Nekomi Kodai) translated it as "Oh! My Morisato!!" a closer pun to the series' title.

Volume 6, chapter 41, page 116 – (Timotheus)

Keiichi also brings home "131 ice cream", a pun on the Japanese version of Baskin Robbin's 31 flavors.

-------------

Fun Facts - Robot Wars edition

Volume 6, chapter 40, page 90 -

Keiichi does Hamlet (Dark Horse version) "Alas poor BMW! I knew it well..."

Volume 6, chapter 40, page 89 to 100 – (Timotheus)

Keiichi's hair magically returns to normal at the NIT MCC junkyard.

He starts the story with his hair still braided up from when he was possessed by the LoT. The braid remain visible in different panels until the one where he goes, "WHA-?!" after Tamiya points out where the raw materials for the robots are. After that happens, no braid.

Volume 6, chapter 40, page 105 – (Timotheus)

Skuld’s robot in Robot Wars was a victim of the dreaded Japanese R/L phonetic conundrum. In the original Japanese illustration it is called the “Hyste-l-ic Wheel, in Engrish, and this name was carried over into the TV anime version. Dark Horse, when they redid the chapter the first time for English release touched up the drawing to read Hyste-r-ic Wheel, correcting the spelling. But you could still see traces of where they had done the rework. In the current release Dark Horse has cleaned the illustration up very nicely and you would never know it had been changed. But in the original version it was proof of the continuing confusion between Rs and Ls for even Japanese goddesses.

-------------

Fun Facts - Meet Me By The Sea Shore

Volume 8, chapter 50, page 79 – (Timotheus)

Urd is using a TV set as her crystal ball to tell Keiichi's fortune.

Volume 8, chapter 50, page 83 – (Timotheus)

The Banpei Deep Six Marine Upgrade has Horus style eyes painted on its prow like ancient Pre-Roman ships did to help them see their way across the waves.

-------------

Fun Facts – Life is Just a Game of Sugoroku Roulette

Besides being an extremely Norn-like game (you turn the spinner and what luck and fortune sends your way happens to you, all supposedly arranged randomly but secretly controlled by a goddess of fate), I started wondering just what "Sugoruku" might mean, so I did a little digging. Others with more factual knowledge are welcome to add or amend.

Sugoroku is actually a children’s dice game very similar to backgammon or chutes and ladders. It was originally introduced from China a few hundred years ago as a popular form of gambling and as such was repeatedly declared illegal by the Japanese government. When it was finally supplanted by other forms of dice games of chance, it became a simple form of home entertainment.

Probably because it is the nature of the game for the players' fortunes to go up and down (as in chutes and ladders) the game's name became identified with that of the Game of Life when that board game was introduced into Japan in 1968, although the official name for the Game of Life is the Jinsei Game.

So even though the game is played with a spinner and no dice are involved, apparently the name Sugoroku and Game of Life are connected in Japan and Mr. Fujishima was only having a minor amount of fun calling the game "Life Sugoroku Special".

Primary sources from Wikipedia

Volume 3, chapter 18, pages 36 through 46 – (Timotheus)

If you look at the playing pieces on the Life game board carefully you'll note some connections and foreshadowing for later stories. (These are my opinions, please judge for yourself.)

Keiichi is driving the NIT MCC Mazda T2000 Off-Road three wheel special from the Golden Hammer race.

Megumi's car is the two seater sports model she gets turned into in Sympathy for the Devil.

Sayoko's piece is hard to see, but sort of looks like the sports car she blew the engine out of earlier in Those Whom Goddess Has Joined Together...,

Otaki's car and pieces appear to be that of the Slag Brothers from the Hanna-Barbara cartoon series "Those Wacky Racers" which was seen in Japan.

Tamiya's vehicle is a steam roller.

Urd has what could be an ambulance and her piece is wearing what could be a fire helmet with a crest ridge.

Only Bell's vehicle has remained unreferenced, and if anyone can, please do.

The cars are identifiable by their hood and trunk outlines. Compare the pieces with the referenced vehicles in their stories.

Volume 3, chapter 18 – (Timotheus)

It's also interesting how many New Years customs Mr. Fujishima managed to cram into the first few pages of the story:

New Year's greetings cards.

A bowl of persimmons or oranges on the table.

The first calligraphic writing of the year with a brush.

Making resolutions on New Year's morning.

The wearing of Kimono's or one's best clothes (except for Keiichi).

Paying calls on friends and relatives at their homes.

Television personalities wearing traditional garb on air.

Special foods for New Year's

Volume 3, chapter 18, pages 27 & 28– (Timotheus)

In addition, that's a statue of the "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" monkeys on the TV set and a picture of Belldandy and Keiichi thumb-tacked on the bulletin board along with a play on a product name – Poji Color instead of Fuji Color.

-------------

The ChazS Collection

Volume 8, chapter 50, page 96 – (contributed by ChazS)

Urd is familiar with Shakespeare, too. "The course of true love never did run smooth" -- A Midsummer Night's Dream (and she mentions Shakespeare's use of love potions in OAV #2).

Volume 4, chapter 26 & 27, page 69 & 87 – (contributed by ChazS)

Keiichi's complaint that he had been "turned into a newt" is a possible reference to the film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Volume 15, chapter 90 – (contributed by ChazS and Timotheus)

In "Hand in Hand," Belldandy repairs a computer, which forthwith begins to sing "A Bicycle Built for Two" ("Daisy, Daisy..."). This is an allusion to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, in which the evil supercomputer HAL, when he regresses to his "childhood," sings the same song. (This is the Dark Horse version, in the Japanese text the Mac computer starts singing “Mary had a little lamb, little lamb...”)

Volume 13, chapter 73 – (contributed by ChazS)

When Urd rides the unicycle in "Childhood's End" (the chapter title is the name of an Arthur C. Clarke story) she has her arms folded. That is far harder than riding with arms outstretched!

Volume 1, chapter 2, page 37 – (contributed by ChazS)

It is commonplace for characters to fall down in surprise. I believe, however, that Bell does so only once -- in chapter 2, when Sada says "Hmm. I'd better watch it again."

Volume, chapter, page – (contributed by ChazS)

Funny things on top of head: Sea slug (Keiichi in Meet Me by the Seashore, Sayoko in I'm the Campus Queen), cat (Urd, in Hand in Hand), Vanir bird (Belldandy, in A Goddess Never Forgets), Sigel (Keiichi, in the Dr. Moreau arc), and Keiichi (Sudaru, in The Third Goddess).

Volume 20, chapter 128, page 15 – (contributed by ChazS)

In The Endless Battle, part 1, Urd exclaims "Mini-Urd MIRV!" A MIRV (Multiple Independently targetable Reentry Vehicle) is a nuclear-equipped missile whose payload splits apart during flight into several independently targeted nuclear warheads. They were a major point of contention in the arms control talks of the 1970s.

Volume 29, chapter 188, page 134 – (contributed by ChazS)

Volume 31, chapter 195, page 20

The way in which Urd is depicted on the sixth page of chapter 188 is suspiciously similar to the way Belldandy is depicted in the climax of chapter 195. This would explain the onlookers' reactions.

Volume 1, chapter 2, page – (contributed by ChazS)

Belldandy was familiar with tea before she came to Earth, but was not initially knowledgeable about the various types and forms of tea makers on earth.

Volume 1, chapter 3, page 74 – (contributed by ChazS)

While never mentioned in the spoken text, on the back of the note the priest left for Belldandy you can clearly read his name "From Koshian".

Volume 8, chapter 49, page 46 – (contributed by ChazS)

In Lunchbox with Love, Sora's Home Ec report, on the left, says "I'm sorry but perhaps Sora would benefit from practicing her cooking at home. Possibly in an air lock" On the right, only two words are un-obscured: "She" and "poison". (This is only confirmed for the Dark Horse second translation version)

Volume 28, chapter 180, page 96 – (contributed by ChazS)

In the Polka-Dotted Cat and the Magic Broom, part of the broom race arc, Bell and Hild fly past the "Shohei" hotel. It’s possible that this is the now completed building that Urd and Shohei Yoshida climbed up in Urd's Fantastic Adventure.

Volume 8, chapter 50, page 96 – (contributed by ChazS)

Just re-read Belldandy's Tempestuous Heart (DH version), and sure enough, just like in episode 19 of the TV series, Urd's incantation is "Naanderuta-aaru (Neanderthal) Kuroman-yohn (Cro-Magnon) Ausutoraro (Australopithecus) Jawa (Java) Pekin (Peking)".

TV anime, episode 19 - (contributed by ChazS)

Not sure if it counts but I noticed something while re-watching episode 19. When Bell is with K1 in his futon and wakes him up, her nightgown is exactly the same as the one Urd was looking at in the magazine at the start of the episode

Volume 1, chapter 5, page 97 - (contributed by ChazS)

In chapter 5 when we first meet Sayoko, the idea that she is in some sense "assaulting" Keiichi is reinforced by the visual double entendre in the panel where Keiichi is on his back and Sayoko is saying "Tell me!"

-----------

Volume 20, chapter 128, page – (contributed by L3gOla5)

In the DH translation of the "Endless Battle Part One", Urd says, "When You Lose... Go cry to NBS for running When Plants Attack." This could be a slight reference to TBS which stands for Tokyo Broadcasting Station I think. So NBS possibly stands for Nippon Broadcasting Station.

Volume 20, chapter 128, page – (contributed by JusenkyoGuide)

JusenkyoGuide replied to the above entry with this: The only NBS in Japan that's on TV is Nagano Broadcasting System. There IS a Nippon Broadcasting System, but they are an AM radio station and a part of Fuji TV system. I'd say NBS is a dig at PBS and NHK though.

------------

Volume 7, chapter 44, page 48 – (Timotheus)

In the Queen of Vengeance, Sayoko is running around with a box of "OTAKI Fried Chicken". (This might be a Studio Proteus gag, as Otaki is the correct singular form of Otaku when applied to a single person. It's also a town in the south of Japan known for having a warm climate even in winter and a town in New Zealand, another warm place.)

------------

(Timotheus)

I read somewhere that Japanese custom wouldn't allow Keiichi to marry until he's graduated and gotten a job. If that applies to OMG then you can guess when the final parts of the story might begin.

------------

Volume 7, chapter 45, page 83 - (Timotheus)

Someone else pointed this out, but it's worth posting here as part of the collection. There's a visual pun incorporated with Senbei that I just found out. In the Japanese version of the text, Senbei's happy dance is called his dance of poverty. From his body position the dance is obviously some sort of LIMBO, and since the Japanese word for poverty is BINBO, I'm sure you can figure out the joke.

------------

Volume 1, chapter 1 – (Morisato Kun)

Morisato Kun Reports that while searching in the original papers of Kosuke Fujishima on Goo.net (a Japanese language version of wikpedia, I would guess) he discovered that the original name of Otaki-senpai was Hikozaemon Ohtaki, not Aoyama Ohtaki as it has been reportedly listed in other locations. (I certainly don’t have the resources to question his findings.)

------------

Relocated from the Mini- and Multi-Goddess topic – Goddess Swimsuits

Volume 12, chapter 69, pages 67 to 78 - (Timotheus)

For those who may not have noticed (or cared to) the bathing suits worn by the Mini-Goddesses during the opening credits for the later Mini-Goddess episodes are the same suits the goddesses are wearing at the water park during the group date with Peorth in The Dating Game, Chapter 69 of the Peorth arc, TPB #12, March 25, 1994 release date (Dark Horse Release date September 1999).

The Mini-Goddess series was first shown on Japanese TV starting in April 1998 at the same time the Dr. Moreau arc, part 3, The Trap Of Dr. Moreau!, chapter 116, Vol. 19 was released. Roughly four years later.

Likewise in Episode 9 of the TV anime season two, the swim suits worn by the goddesses (including Peorth) and Keiichi are the same as in the manga, although Urd's was simplified for animation purposes.

------------

Fun with Ten-Dimensions

Volume 6, chapter 39, page 70 -

With the glorious restoration of the ten-dimensional toad to its rightful position of honor atop Skuld’s head in Confession, page 70, lower right hand panel, possibly because of the overwhelming insistence that this be done that I directed toward Mr. Horn, I feel it is my further obligation to explain the pun and the situation to those fans who may not understand it, since Dark Horse seems to have completely abandoned the editorial notes for these releases. (It’s alright I suppose, I’m sure it’s just a case of not enough time to get everything done. Researching trivia can be very time consuming; I know.)

Anyway, the Lord of Terror has asked Skuld to make a ten-dimensional scythe, or “kama” in Japanese. What Skuld has presented him with are, as the signs imply, a ten-dimensional Toad and a ten-dimensional Rice Cooker. While the ten-dimensional part is the same for all three, the Rice Cooker is a gohan-suki KAMA, and the Toad is a KAMA-gaeru. Both are puns in Japanese on the word for Scythe, KAMA. In the original Japanese text the LORD of Terror is exclaiming, “Stop that! I don't like bad puns!”

This may not be quite as completely a throwaway joke as it first appears. Earlier Belldandy is written as saying they need to stall for time and this could be Skuld’s way of doing just that, stalling the Lord of Terror with unnecessary delays over puns.

Research source, Ed Chang's Translations at Nekomi Kodai. Corrections welcome.

------------

Japanese Sound effects and what they mean.

This is a neat compendium of Japanese manga sound effects that have been compiled at this link site. I thought others might enjoy it and find it useful. The original site has disappeared but I've found two copy sites of it and there are probably others.

try here - http://www.lolikon.org/misc/soundfx.html

or here - http://forum.xisde.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3387&p=39777

but it's no longer here - http://www.oop-ack.com/manga/soundfx.html

As an example of something I figured out from this site, I'm sure everyone who's watched the OAVs remembers Urd's "tanning oil" that was going to make Belldandy all "mello-mello", a term not found in the Japanese dictionaries I've located. Most people could probably guess the general meaning based on the illustration, but it was still a little unclear what the exact intention was.

Well, since "L"s and "R"s are pretty much interchangeable in Japanese phonetics, when I saw an entry for "mero-mero" ( to go limp or floppy), I realized that this might be what the script for that scene actually had written down and it was subtitled "melo-melo" as a understandable mistake. It would certainly make sense to say that Belldandy would just go limp (as in unresisting and compliant) if Keiichi rubbed Urd's oil all over her body, which is what the illustration shows.

(Note - Bell might go mero-mero if K-1 rubbed anything warm and lubricating all over her body, whether Urd had mixed it up or not.)

------------

Rats In Space

For those interested in such things, probably the best use of Oh/Ah My Goddess animation in a music video adaptation is in "The Not-So-Right Stuff" by Strike Otoko. Based on the two Adventures of the Mini-Goddesses episodes where Gan-chan wants to fly and the music and lyrics of Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Coming Home)" it's like they were made for each other. The video was a runner up in the serious/dramatic catagory at Otakon 1999 but does not appear to be available on the web. I saw it at AnimeCentral, so it's probably only available on a special release disc from either Otakon or its creator. Either way, if you can get a chance to see it, it's well worth the time. (And if you find out where to get it let me know.)

-------------

Site Administrator solves Mini-Goddess Trivia Riddle

To give our Glorious Leader his due, while he was engaged in his pursuit of news items to increase the sites post count he encountered a news blurb about a Japanese amusement park that had built a scale replica of a space shuttle launch in its Lego land exhibit. This unexpectedly solved another of Mr. Fujishima's little riddles.

A while back there was some discussion as to what Mr. Fujishima (or whoever) had in mind when he put NASU (NESU) on the side of the Saturn V that launched Gan-chan into space in the Mini-Goddesses series. At the time it was just supposed that this was another example of just transposing a letter in a familiar logo. But The Lego area at the Nasu Amusement Park has had a Space Center feature for some time and this is just the latest of its creations. No doubt at one time they featured a Saturn V with Moon Module Payload and it takes no stretch of the imagination to see Mr. Fujishima borrowing the idea, hinting that Gan-Chan's launch vehicle is a Lego model revamped by Skuld or that she copied it from the model. Or perhaps he's joking that the Lego Space Center is the closest thing that Japan had to a real Space program, or at least close in size to the Mini-Goddesses.

• Upvote 2

Nanahuatzin

Urd's useless potions?..´

Re-reading OMG v12 #68... when Peorth is looking between Urd's potions...

I found that Urd has invented Oxygum!!!

I Remembered "Marine Boy" 1966 – 1966 (Marino y la patrulla oceanica in spanish).. that brought me good memories...

Now I am curious about other Urd´s potions... Is there a thread about that?

Edited by Timotheus

Badi Yee

I was thinking about the potion for speed, but since it was useful in chapter 260... hmm..

Timotheus

SUDARU - Subaru

When naming the combined Booster Demon in Chapters 31 and 32 Mr. Fujishima was certainly going for literalness. The term "Sudaru" is actually a variant spelling of "Subaru" which means to unite, combine, or bring together. It is also one of the Japanese names for the Pleiades, the six star constellation of which has become the well known logo and name for the Japanese automobile company, "Subaru". The actual term Subaru/Sudaru/Suharu seems to have Buddhist roots, being used to invoke the concept of "uniting" or " being brought together". The Chinese character (Kanji) for "Subaru" also has connotations of being "bright", with the "bright" Subaru stars also being "together in one place".

Keiichi Morisato

Thanks for sharing that, Timotheus. Is that a new addition to the article? :biggrin:

Timotheus

Just something new I came across.

Timotheus

Since no one took the hint I've decided to go ahead and enter this one myself. Thisusernameistaken is apparently a wristwatch collector and decided to track down the wristwatch Belldandy gives Keiichi in chapter 241 for his birthday.

From the resulting illustration and posting by Thisusernameistaken on this topic, it appears to be a Soviet made Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute Chrono-Matic, ref. 1809. Vintage 1969, one of the first automatic chronographs ever made. And its quite big - 48 milimeters (~1.9 inches) in diameter, without crown, which is unusually on the left. So we can assume that Keiichi has large wrists. The price at this time is estimated as being around $2000 - $3000 for a mint condition one, so Belldandy must have been saving up her paychecks.

Keiichi Morisato

Timotheus, what happened to this topic? I thought this topic was one you originally started and yet Ryu is listed as the topic starter. Do you remember starting this particular topic? Because I'm trying to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Brian Xavier

Hmm looks like this topic was eaten when when you converted the forums over to ver 3... since Ryu's post has Timotheus' post quoted in it... (and its all garbled up like all the old forum posts)hmmm.gif

Keiichi Morisato

Maybe I'll just ask him to repost the original article. I have a modification that I haven't gotten around to installing that allows me to re-assign a topic to a different member. Maybe that's what I'll do, re-assign the this topic to Timotheus and just have him repost the original topic. I just hadn't been aware of this problem. You see, the Moderators have the ability to also "split" topics.

I also know that a few months ago I was removing some Moderators who were inactive and that was because they had been inactive for an extended period of time.