Community Message: We're currently in the middle of our donation drive. For those willing to send a donation, we ask that you use the feature in the sidebar to send a donation. For those who send a donation, a donation badge will be featured in your profile next to every message you post. members can dismiss this message by clicking on the 'x' in the upper-right corner. Donations are used for hosting fees, license renewal for the forum software and domain name renewal.

Goddess Relief Office
Sign in to follow this  
HotelKatz

AMG x FoNV : Ah! I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire!

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Like I said in the idea topic, I would make a topic for this when I bought the game. when the weekend comes around, I'll being to play it. I'll make notes while I attempt to play as close to Keiichi's personality as possible.

The title, Ah! I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire!, was thought up by Nevermore.

Here are some links to posts in the idea topic concerning the pre-preplanning of the fic.

http://goddess-project.net/board/topic/12726-ah-my-goddess-fic-ideas/?do=findComment&comment=162058

http://goddess-project.net/board/topic/12726-ah-my-goddess-fic-ideas/?do=findComment&comment=167007

I'll begin talking more when I have the time. As for the fic itself, I'll probably work on it on the weekends when I get through a good deal of the game.

And here is a little bit that I wrote for Nevermore while we were talking about if Urd decided to join the legion or take over it.

Spoiler

After the young girl finished speaking, Urd took a few deep breaths before grabbing the girl's shoulders and placing her by Belldandy.

"Bell, take her and Keiichi to somewhere safe," Urd said in a slightly trembling voice, looking down at the ground. "I need to... send a message..."

"Urd, what mess-" Keiichi asked before Urd vanished in front of his eyes.

To the young girl and Keiichi, it seemed like Urd had disappeared. As for Belldandy, she could see what had really happened.

Urd had shed her human guise and was now flying towards the clouds to possess them. Keiichi looked over at Belldandy and noticed she was looking up. So he looked up as well, but spotted nothing. He looked over at Belldandy and was about to ask what was she looked at, but then noticed a growing look of horror on her face.

"Keiichi, we need to get somewhere safe. NOW!" Belldandy said as she picked up the child and ran. Keiichi looked up and saw that the clouds were rapidly increasing in number, while also growing darker and darker. Keiichi immediately ran after Belldandy, just before bolts of lighting came down on the Legionaries.

As for if Urd can possess stuff in the canon of the manga, I think she can, but doesn't because there's no reason to and it's probably not very fun.

Edited by HotelKatz

Spatial Chronaut    7
Spatial Chronaut

Good choice! I think this way Urd is more IC, she's the type that would do something like that, if only for protect the others. This is what I like of her. =D

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Thanks.

This pretty much re-tells information that's been aid in the idea topic, though there might be some new info.

The three norns are pretty much going to choose separate factions.

Skuld's gonna go with Mr. House. (still unsure if I want to age her up or not.)

Urd's gonna go with the Legion, though I'm still unsure if she either take it over or simply becomes the man behind the scenes. Potions can heavily influence the drinkers, after all. Especially if they don't know what's in their drinks.

Belldandy (and Mara) are going to go with independent Vegas. Belldandy would go for a diplomatic route that tries to avoid violence as much as it can, while Mara doesn't care how much violence is created as long as the job is done.

Keiichi would have quite a bit of loyalty to the NCR, though the norns (and Mara) might stray him away from it.

Both Belldandy and Mara would be Keiichi's 'shoulder angel and devil' as he goes on his path. Dunno how far his relationship with both might go. He might get romantically involved with one, while maintaining a impersonal relationship with the other. He might have a impersonal relationship with both. Or he might wind up with both as his brides. This is unimportant at the moment.

Dunno how Keiichi should meet Mara. Should Mara be sealed inside the Platinum chip and get unsealed when Belldandy does some sorta scan spell on the chip? Or should she appear when Keiichi decides to relax and listen to an old vinyl record?

As for why Mara would interfere, it'll be dependent on how she appears. if in the platinum chip, then she merely is following orders to increase profit for hell. Hild's not gonna bother to rescind it as long as Mara doesn't go overboard. If Mara appears from a vinyl record, then the reason will be that Hild either can't resist meddling or believes that Keiichi should have a choice in his adventures and that Belldandy is too strong of an influence when it comes to making decisions.

If you're reading this, Nevermore, I'd like to post our PMs in this topic. I'll wait until I have your permission. If you don't want them posted, I'll respect that and obey your wishes.

Nevermore    35
Nevermore

You can post the PMs if you want to, Katz. Though I would like to clarify, because I actually forgot to in one of the messages regarding potential original characters: one of them, Hecate, is a reworking of a character that was from the scrapped Fallout 3 done by the series' original developers, Interplay and Black Isle Studios. Quite a bit of it is different enough I think she can stand on her own, but it slipped my mind.

---

Further thoughts on the recap.

I think leaving Skuld's age up to potential readers might be the best course of action at the moment. I think trauma might be easier to convey if Skuld is younger, but at the same time, having Skuld as a teen would be less of a headache than having to explain why no one bats an eye at a kid running around in places like Gomorrah (though that opens up the door for a lot of humor, even if it'd be pretty crude).

I think Urd stands the best chance of knocking out Caesar, passively letting him die of his brain tumor...or otherwise, and then trying to control Lanius. Lanius is loyal to Caesar, not any real set of ideals (for example, if I recall correctly, in any of the endings where you fight against him at Hoover Dam he has a cool cordiality towards female couriers rather than hostility which I think is something that's rather surprising given the distinct anti-intellectual air he throws about). Not sure if potions are necessary to use on him or some of the Legion members even disregarding their teetotal outlook on alcoholic drinks. The majority are still superstitious tribals and Caesar liked it that way. A few magic tricks here and there and they're potentially wrapped around her finger. If Urd really wants to milk things, she might fib about being Mars' daughter or something.

Putting Mara and Belldandy on the same side has awkward if interesting implications for an independent Vegas. Mara might try to claim that she had a share in helping events turn out the way they did. What might Heaven and Hell do in a situation like that? I'd think Tyr would be somewhat angry Belldandy compromised and allowed an opponent to take advantage of the situation. I think this could potentially get her to change her position, or at least consider doing so, maybe. It's a pretty big gamble.

As for the romantic aspect, I've got some thoughts on that, but I think I might share those over messages. It's an inkling of an idea.

I think I personally favor the 'Mara-in-the-chip' approach you came up with. It adds a sense of urgency once the Norns realize what Keiichi is trying to deliver that might tie in nicely to Keiichi getting temporarily offed. Not only is he in physical danger regardless, but he has the potential to unleash what they'll know is a pretty big threat - coupled with everything else in the wastes, mind you.

That said, I do think that Hild would adopt a wait-and-see approach, though I could definitely see her suggesting that Mara try to aid Keiichi in some manner (she might realize that a situation where Vegas is secured and free from outside influence can be beneficial to her as well). She'll definitely be wary of Belldandy trying to appeal to Keiichi's better nature but the Mojave is a violent place. It's a much easier thing to solve a problem with a bullet than talking about it; the temptation is always going to be there. That, coupled with the fact that so many people want to ride Keiichi's wave to the future, means that he's going to be a pretty stressed guy. I'm sure it'd tickle Hild pink to embarrass Heaven by making them look past unsavory actions he might do or be forced to do.

Edited by Nevermore

Spatial Chronaut    7
Spatial Chronaut

Knowing Urd's origins, I think it's better if she claim herself as Pluto's daughter. This will also instill some fear in them. You know, something like "don't mess with the Death's daughter".

As for your question, I think it's better if Mara come out from a vinyl. This way you will mantain it in canon.

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

I keep thinking that someone else had the idea that Mara was sealed in the chip, but my searches don't seem to show that.

Still don't know what way to go with Mara's introduction. Record or chip? Both seem good.

Edited by HotelKatz

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

I find the above ideas to be interesting, and I'll have to agree about Urd. Taking over the Legion is the more likely thing for her to do. Although, doing it behind the scenes is preferable, as it will allow her to keep a low profile.

Personally I find that, Skuld might work better as a teen. Especially, given the rest of the content (assuming that it's coming from the game).

As for Mara, I think that a record is a bit better option. Not only it's a bit of a reference to the series (although, it was a CD there), but, it could be due to the time that she got sealed. Interestingly, Keiichi might had that record for a while in the story, but, never had the opportunity to listen to it. That may be used as a joke, when Mara is finally released (she's angry why he didn't checked the record for all that time).

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Alright, time to post the PMs, now that I have permission to. There's quite a few, so I'll spread them over

Nevermore's Pm

Hey Katz,

I know it's probably going to be quite a while before you even begin to consider this thing, but since I had Fallout on the mind today for whatever reason, I brain stormed a bit about possibilities for the AMG/Fallout crossover we talked about briefly awhile back. I thought that it'd be good to at least get my thoughts down here so I don't forget about them. Feel free to use or disregard anything you see below whenever you get around to things. I don't think it should just be a novelization of the game of course (what'd be the point of doing that, even with the AMG cast involved?) though right now I'm not sure how to make it terribly different.

-The title: I thought a pretty straightforward combination would be the best bet. I'm really attracted to Ah! I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire! as it gets the point across without being too flashy. It's a little wordy, though, I'd admit.

-I mentioned before that I think Fallout: New Vegas is probably the better fit for this than Fallout 3 is. Like I said, the largest concentration of Japanese-Americans is on the West Coast, in Los Angeles, and I think that it's probably the place Keiichi would most likely end up if he were transplanted to the Fallout setting. Los Angeles itself has some significance in Fallout lore and there's a general background for it to boot which makes developing his life there a bit easier.

The Boneyard, as it's now called, is the NCR's primary money printing facility and is considered one of the largest post-Great War settlements in the United States. It also has a fairly large population as many of the ancestors of the current inhabitants survived the bombs dropping. It's still considered a pretty rough place, though, but I'd think almost anywhere that'd be the case (it could be worse - New Reno is a corrupt den of vice almost as New Vegas is). It was also once the site of the Cathedral, the astroturfed cult headed by the original Fallout's villain, the Master ('father' of the West Coast's super mutants).

-Keiichi himself: I think that his interest in motor vehicles can still be kept but it's going to have to take on a different tone. Obviously, there are no operational cars but I think that his dream can be re-purposed here instead to his wanting to ride in one. Messing around with something powered by a nuclear reactor is pretty messy business but I'm sure Skuld could manage it. He could use whatever money he makes as a courier to start a small fund for it; seems like something he'd do.

New Vegas also seems to imply that conscription, at least as of 2281, is a mandatory thing in the NCR. That also helps out with another problem: proficiency with fire arms and the like. We don't know what the age for it is, though, but I'd hazard to say around 18 would probably be a good guess. Lower life expectancies coupled with th eneed to meet the Legion as a threat might go a long way towards silencing objections in Congress. If Keiichi's 19, similar to his initial age in the manga, then that at least gives him a year of basic stuff under his belt. He'll get better at it, of course...

-Keiichi's parents: I'm not sure what to do with Megumi. On the one hand, I think it'd be cool to see her as a courier but I think a better fit might be as a prospector (that is, someone who looks through Old World sites to find items that are of value and then to sell them to merchants) would at least give her something a bit different and would differentiate her.

Keiichi's parents aren't so hard. Keima and Takano do art already in AMG canon; I think that's easily moved here towards something similar: being residents of New Vegas' budding art district and perhaps part of whatever primitive advertising agencies might exist (alternatively, glass sculptures and the like for some of the businesses in the Strip district could work too).

-So that begs the question: where are the gods in all of this? If we take the two mythologies and squish them together, it's a good question on why they'd let the Great War happen. I think it'd be best to play up the whole 'we don't intervene in human affairs' angle here. Granted, that had seriously dire consequences (and it effectively lets Hild run roughshod over things on earth) but the gods seem nothing if not dedicated to principle. I could see them, by the time of the story's start, desperate to increase market share and I think that would be where Belldandy comes in.

Her background as being one of the best wish granters doesn't have to change. It makes sense, if they want the best results possible for their first wish-granting foray to be a success, to send her to do it. It also gives an excuse as to why they'd let Keiichi's wish slide: desperate times call for desperate measures and they'll agree to just about anything to keep him satisfied. I feel that also gives a bit of leeway on how to reconcile the fact that Keiichi will have to use force to meet certain threats - even if he'd likely prefer to talk them down - and how he got accepted to be a wish recipient (and keep the contract with Belldandy).

-I could see Urd and Skuld ultimately joining Belldandy as a simple way to insure that whatever unfolds on earth goes smoothly. Keiichi gets a big thing put on his shoulders, the fate of the Mojave at Hoover Dam. Due to the above, I foresee this as an excuse as to why the goddesses can't really help him too much: they're weakened due to the lack of wishes that heaven has been getting ever since the Great War ground a lot of their operations to a halt. They're not 100% vulnerable, but their powers are very minimal (I'm thinking something like in the early chapters of the manga where Belldandy could use her powers but then would almost immediately need to recharge herself). This also gives an excuse to do 'side quests': it's a way for the goddesses to regain their strength by doing 'good' deeds in the world.

-Perhaps consider looking at incorporating some of the elements that were cut from the game? For example, I think I mentioned this before, but we were initially going to be able to see Legion-held territory (and even visit their capital, Flagstaff, to be able to see priestesses of Caesar's Mars cult supporting them) had Obsidian had more time to develop the game. There are other things that you could do (Ulysses as a companion is another one...) but that strikes me as the biggest example.

-I think that each of them supporitng a different faction could be a source of tension that lends itself well to character development. I'm not quite sure about everything, but I think it'd look something like...

Keiichi - NCR: He probably still has a lot of loyalty towards his home even if he doesn't necessarily agree with all of President Kimball's policies. I think it'd take him a lot to throw away the country he grew up in even if his parents are in New Vegas. I don't see him much caring for an autocrat like House, absolutely mortified by the Legion, and doubting his own inability to govern a state.

Urd - Caesar's Legion: A bit dark, but this is largely intended as a 'pragmatic' course on her part. If one takes Tyr's goal - regaining influence on earth - in its strictest sense than stamping out perceived 'bad' behavior is a necessity. The post-Great War world is a dive and the Legion, brutal and cruel as it is, could be seen (if manipulated the right way) as a tool towards that goal.

Skuld - Mr. House: We've also talked about Skuld being greatly disturbed at the horrors all around her and so I think that this one makes the most sense as to where she wants the world to go. New Vegas, for all of its many faults, is the safest place in the wasteland. It's a fortress that can shield itself away from the world. Plus, she does seem the type to favor someone like House, with his technocratic leanings. Their personalities would clash big time, though, of course.

Belldandy - Yes Man: Somewhat similar to Urd. While she shares Keiichi's belief that the Legion is awful and that House, while well-intentioned, has no right to run things as he does I can't see her looking to the NCR as a great source of comfort either. The NCR will remind her of the world that heaven lost and I think that she wouldn't be eager to see humanity's light snuffed out. Seizing New Vegas, cold blooded as that might be, allows heaven a base of operations to begin trying to find humans for the purposes of wishes. Again: a bit dark but if Belldandy were to strictly follow her dad's goals, I think this does make sense...

My PM

That is all interesting, keep in mind, I have yet to buy and play New Vegas, though I have read a lot and read the Wiki.

I like what you thought for Megumi, though I do see her being a bit worry-full about becoming a Christmas cake, so to speak. Also I see her not wanting to settle down so soon, as exploring would mean a lot in this universe.

As for why the gods would take more of a 'we don't intervene in human affairs' thing, but then changing to wanting to increase their market share, I can come up with one reason. The war between Heaven and Hell either lasted longer than in Canon, or some bombs that both sides left hidden in areas on the other side were forgotten and went off, leaving both sides more damaged for a long time, so they had to focus inward and leave the mortals to themselves. The damage to both Yggdrasil and Nidhogg wound up letting some humans get elected when they shouldn't have, thus the Great war happened.

Then again, I can't see Hild being responsible for something like the world of Fallout. Maybe Hagal pulled her coup early... and with no Belldandy and Keiichi to stop her....

As for the goddesses, I agree with what faction, though I have serious doubts about Urd, and slight doubts about Skuld.

I see Skuld abandoning Mr. House for the Big MT the moment Keiichi tells her about it, but I have some doubts about it. Then again, I can also see Mr. House warming up to Skuld and seeing her as the daughter he never had.

As for Urd, if she did decide to use the Legion, I want to say the thing about the Legion raping would piss her off... but then I remember what Urd did in Canon, during the very early parts of A!MG. Using her powers to influence Keiichi to want to have sex with her while claiming she needed his DNA to have Belldandy be able to stay there and the potion that she intended Belldandy to eat, so Belldandy would be more flirty with Keiichi.

So I'm conflicted with Urd and the Legion.

I did think of one scene where Urd shows some... displeasure with the Legion and their views on rape.

----

After the young girl finished speaking, Urd took a few deep breaths before grabbing the girl's shoulders and placing her by Belldandy.

"Bell, take her and Keiichi to somewhere safe," Urd said in a slightly trembling voice, looking down at the ground. "I need to... send a message..."

"Urd, what mess-" Keiichi asked before Urd vanished in front of his eyes.

To the young girl and Keiichi, it seemed like Urd had disappeared. To Belldandy she could see what had really happened.

Urd had shed her human guise and was now flying towards the clouds to possess them. Keiichi looked over at Belldandy and noticed she was looking up. So he looked up as well, but spotted nothing. He looked over at Belldandy and was about to ask what was she looked at, but then noticed a growing look of horror on her face.

"Keiichi, we need to get somewhere safe. NOW!" Belldandy said as she picked up the child and ran. Keiichi looked up and saw that the clouds were rapidly growing in number and growing darker and darker. Keiichi immediately ran after Belldandy, just before bolts of lighting came down on the Legionaries.

----

Then I see Urd more-or-less causing a bit of a civil war in the Legion after that outburst.

Nevermore's Pm

Right. I understand that; it's a reason I haven't considered too much. It's probably going to be a long ways off. Take your time - there's no rush. I mean, this whole thing was a sort of spur of the moment thing anyway, I think.

I don't really understand what you mean by Christmas cake but I think you're right about Megumi not wanting to stay put. Her personality is a go-getter one and she's not the type to never leave home. Keiichi's sure to worry but Megumi is resourceful enough to generally stay out of trouble, I think. Maybe her job is a source of contention between them?

That sounds a good explanation as any, I think. Neither realm can micromanage everything - especially not when there are more pressing matters - and it doesn't really hurt either side too negatively if both were at fault. That way, while they might still be dismayed at the results, neither can use it as a pretext to do more damage against the other. But like I said: Fallout's setting does basically give Niflheim an advantage in a big way, for a while, anyway.

Maybe we could combine the ideas. Hagall pulls a coup in an attempt to get Hild back to where she believes she should be, but things get out of hand, leading to a war? That would technically let Hild off the hook as to why things play out as they did. The question becomes what punishment Hagall would get. Sure wouldn't like to be her...

I think I like the 'Skuld acting like a surrogate daughter for House' angle more. It allows his character, and interactions with the AMG cast, to be more dynamic. Not to mention, as you'll find out, Big MT and the Think Tank are pretty unsavory actually. One of the cut aspects of New Vegas was House being a little less morally ambiguous as well; you could get him to surrender peacefully to the NCR, for example, if your speech and/or intelligence was high enough. Not saying that his anti-villain nature has to be undone but I think if Keiichi were to press the issue, Skuld might be able to convince him that it would be for the best. If nothing else she sees a kindred spirit in a world full of barbaric idiots.

You have a point about Urd and rape; I don't disagree she would be uncomfortable with it (more than uncomfortable - it's unconscienable to a goddess and whatever code of conduct heaven has) but she has been... well, more than a little gray about it herself. I suppose you could argue she was simply kidding and never intended to go through with things whereas with the Legion rape is clearly a tool meant to break its victims. That said, trying to sweet talk Lanius is always a possibility; in game, if Caesar dies, he becomes leader. Despite the fact he's a brilliant commander, he's not much one for intellectual thought. He has no ideological commitments and follows Caesar out of personal loyalty. Let Caesar die of his brain tumor and Lanius can be properly engaged, then, I think.

Of course, Lanius has no restraint when it comes to brutality, so your write up there for Urd's reaction to something awful would probably be even worse. But it's a good way to instill fear in superstitious Luddites, admittedly...

---

Some thoughts on the rest of the AMG cast here:

Tamiya and Otaki: Just had this thought recently, but I think that having them out at Jacobstown or Black Mountain would be the best bet - as super mutants, of course. It's a way to poke fun at their canon counterparts and generally also stay true to their characters, I think.

Sayoko: If we're going with the idea that she's the descendant of a bunch of rich businessmen, then it probably makes sense for her to appear in the NCR bits. I think Keiichi's crush is probably applicable, but likely even more distant considering that you're probably not likely to rise up in the social pecking order these days.

Aoshima: I could see him as being a representative for whatever business the Mishima-Aoshima clan(s) run in New Vegas. It's a seedy place that seems like it's pretty much a magnet for scummy like Aoshima. I could see Sayoko asking Keiichi and co. to drag him away from the casinos and prostitutes to get down to actual business or something of that sort.

Keima and Takano: Expanding on them a bit. Basically, they set up shop in New Vegas not too long ago (a few years by 2281) as a way to keep their household afloat. Skilled artisans, the burgeoning businesses of the city have an investment in creating flash advertisements and so they'd be in high demand. They likely don't make much but I see them sending most of it home - even with New Vegas' exorbitant taxes - as a sort of trust fund for Keiichi and Megumi. I see them as probably wanting to go home eventually.

Chihiro and Sora: Not sure but I could see them as part of the Brotherhood of Steel. It allows us to have some fun with a group that generally takes themselves a little too seriously. Plus, I think it makes the dilemma that Keiichi has to make (peace or their destruction) a little more heightened with audiences who are familiar with AMG. We don't want to see either killed, obviously, but the organization as a whole is pretty unreasonable on a lot of matters.

Peorth: I'm honestly stumped for her. Ideas?

Mara: I had the notion that the seal for her here could be the platinum chip itself. After all, it would give the Norns an actual incentive to help Keiichi try and track it down beyond it just being a simple package. Mara being trapped in it could also go towards explaining why it was lost for so long as well (heaven didn't want her set free).

Alternatively, I liked the idea that Keiichi is searching for a working record player (having him here still being an afficionado of old things that aren't really used by others anymore). Eventually, he'd find a record and a working player, but accidentally sets Mara free in the process. It would still keep with canon, in a sense, of having a musical source be her prison.

Lind: I really like the idea of Lind being a participant in the Second Battle of Hoover Dam and opening up a divine can of whoop ass on the side that Keiichi and the Norns decide to go against. :biggrin2:

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

My PM

Christmas cake - In japan, 25 years old is when a lady seems too old for marriage. So it's a bit of an insulting term. So what I was saying is that a part of Megumi wants kids, but doesn't want to get too old before it becomes really risky to have them in the world of fallout

As for Urd, I want to argue as well that she's against rape and she probably would say so in canon, but I reread some parts in the manga.

In chapter 14, she arrived and began to psychically pressure Keiichi while claiming she needs his DNA to have Belldandy stay

In chapter 25, she created something called an elixir of love, one that did mess with true love from the imbiber's part. Urd hoped it would make them so horny they couldn't keep their hands off each other.

In chapter 43, she created something that was intended on making Belldandy more flirty with Keiichi. Skuld would up making it far stronger than intended by accident.

In chapter 195, Urd made Keiichi take a pill that made Belldandy have a bit of an orgasm when he told her that he loved her.

So I think she's against rape, but somehow thinks using things that alter a person's behavior is alright if it helps the relationship. Bit of a shame, as I like Urd.

---

As for Peorth, she can be something of mission control for the goddesses. Pretty much the one that contacts the norns because perhaps Tyr is really busy with various things. Perhaps trying to broker more contracts, agreements and treaties with Hild?

Or she and a few other goddesses are on a mission to try and undo the radiation damage while making the world green again.

As for Mara, I kinda like both ideas. Though I always though that music being played was her transport medium, but was never mentioned.

As for the rest of your ideas, I like them.Kinda tempted to ask you to put them into a topic, so others might also comment on them and maybe give ideas for them.

As for when I'll be able to play New Vegas, maybe later next year.

My PM

Another idea for Lind is have her be like the mysterious stranger.

Of course, you could also have Peorth do that, but she'd be nonlethal. She'd disarm the enemies with her rose whip, perhaps plants also appear and make the enemies fall asleep

As for the the 'Skuld acting like a surrogate daughter for House', it'd also be a good way to explore House's character a bit more, have him ask himself 'have what I done with my life worth it?' and have him be unsure of the answer for a brief moment.

I kinda see Urd using her potions to make Lanius see things her way once Caesar dies. Or course, I see such actions either making Hild proud for taking such actions in a difficult time or making Hild admonish Urd for being to proactive when dealing with mortals once Hild appears on Earth.

I kinda prefer Mara being in the platinum chip over the other choice. Though Mara appearing from a record would put Keiichi in a bit of an odd scenario, if we go with it. Belldandy in the role of a shoulder angel and Mara in the role of the shoulder devil for Keiichi's choices. Belldandy argues for peaceful choices while going for a yesman-like route. Mara argues that Keiichi needs to force the world to make sense by any means, even if he has to bloody his hands in doing so.

Nevermore's PM

Hey Katz,

Thanks for taking time to read over all of this (as usual); it's fun to collaborate on something like this. I was going to post in the idea thread, but I wasn't sure if this would count as spoiler-y or not. Let me know if you think it'd be alright to cross post it there. Speaking of next year: while I'm going to be working to begin saving up for grad school, I'll finally have quite a bit more free time on my hands than I have in the recent past. I'll be able to actively contribute writing to things whenever we get around to starting it.

P.S. What do you make of van's suggestion to bump Skuld's age up a bit?

---

Interesting discussion regarding Hagall's coup and Hild's thoughts on things. I think any back story could really work for her here so long as we play our cards right. I'm not quite so sure she'd be very hot on Urd going with the Legion, though. Sure, slavery and death follow her wherever they go, but they also ban 'fun' things like alcohol and drugs too. I think New Vegas would be more the demons' speed because it's 'non-threatening' (i.e., people can keep going back to do it again and again). I think it'd put Belldandy or Skuld in the interesting position of having a position that coincides with Hild's. Not sure how they'd feel about that.

Going by what you said in the thread, I'm guessing you plan on getting Fallout for the PC? I think it'd be pretty neat to do a play through for Keiichi, Belldandy, Urd, and Skuld and do character sheets (maybe) for them, giving perks and such. Mods are probably for the best as the character creation system is a bit limited - Gamebryo was really showing its age by that point - and I don't think there's any way to use tattoos that could come anywhere close to the goddesses' facial markings.

---

Another aspect I figured that we might consider is throwing in some original characters. I realize that that's treading a fine line, as they can often go wrong, but here are two sample profiles I cooked up today. Like I said, I'm a little wary of doing this but it's something else that can differentiate things from being a novelization to something more original.

Nathan Arnold

"Toothpaste? Nah, I stopped usin' that a long time ago. Y'know it's got fluoride in it, right? Stuff is designed to drain ya of your bodily fluids! Government conspiracy, I tell ya; I'd know, I worked for 'em."

DOB: July 4, 2224 (57-years-old)

Occupation: Soldier (formerly; held the rank of colonel), mercenary (de facto)

Allegiance: None (Enclave formerly); dislikes NCR
Race: Caucasian

Bio

Arnold was born on the Poseidon Energy oil rig that housed the Enclave (a shadowy paramilitary group that claim to be the legitimate government of the United States) in 2224, years before the events of Fallout 2. Though hard to believe in such a confined area, Arnold was something of a latch key kid - his parents taking one of the few occupations available as scientists rather than soldiers. Working on the mutagen-destroying virus that would threaten to wipe out mainland 'muties' (i.e., humans who had grown up in the irradiated environment of the wastes, considered unclean and not truly people) left them little time to interact with their son. Growing up, he had few friends and mostly kept to himself. His antisocial behavior saw him interested in few hobbies but yearning to finally put on a uniform, and gun, and 'serve his country.'

He got his wish when he turned 18 in 2242, joining the somewhat prestigious 'Minute Men' squad, but things fall apart quickly. The Chosen One (Fallout 2's player character) destroyed the oil rig while he and his platoon were out on patrol in the wastes. Suddenly finding themselves stranded and blaming the nascent NCR, they swore revenge and began a guerrilla war against the NCR's soldiers. But time, monsters, raiders, disease, and who knows what else took their toll, whittling down the ranks until only Arnold was left. Despite being a small nuisance to the NCR itself, he feared a repraisal for being an Enclave member if he were ever captured, and so fled east. Isolation and hunger took their toll on him, driving him mad. As of 2281, he's deluded himself into still believing that the Enclave is fighting against the NCR and that victory in the war is just around the corner.

(Note: name is a bit of a place holder, but I decided to combine Nathan Hale - the guy who famously said, "My only regret is that I have but one life to give for my country" - along with Benedict Arnold, turncoat extraordinaire.)

Hecate

"Your NCR believes that their strength lies in the civic duty their citizens possess. That your country is worth too much to be pushed into the sea by our armies. Perhaps this is so. But for us, war is our civic duty. Mars wills it."

DOB: February 14, 2249 (32-years-old)
Allegiance: Twisted Hairs (formerly), Caesar's Legion
Race: African
Bio

Hecate was just thirteen when the Legion tricked her tribe, the Twisted Hairs, at their mian settlement of Dry Wells after serving for a time as the Legion's scouts in the region. In a day, one of the strongest and toughest tribes in all of the Southwest was crucified along Interstate 40. But Hecate did not see the Legion like many of her fellows had; as the daughter of her tribe's shaman, she was use to taking intoxicating substances and receiving visions from the spirit world, even at a young age. The night before Vulpes Inculta's great betrayal, she had a vision of a being that told her a great change would be coming - but it would be for the better and that out of its bloodshed would be peace. All of the Twisted Hairs - except for two, Hecate and a young boy - refused to submit to slavery.

Hecate's first stay with the Legion didn't last long. She was almost assaulted her first night staying at a Legion encampment and she fled into the wastes to escape them. She traveled far to the east, as far as her legs would carry her, and ultimately collapsed outside of an enormous Old World building. Much like the Think Tank, 'the Nursery' as it was known was run by a preserved brain, that of a scientist named Diana Stone who had been diagnosed with breast cancer before the Great War and was offered a chance to live on caring for the facility (really, a joint project by the EPA and a Poseidon Energy subsidiary called Greenway Hydroponics). Having been alone for so long, Diana decided to take Hecate in. For several years, she learned all sorts of agricultural techniques she could from the woman-turned-supercomputer, tending to the Nursery. But, out of a sense of nostalgia, she mixed up the draught that her father had taught her to again commune with the spirits.

There she once again encountered the very same being that she had seen years before. It was angry that she had disobeyed its commands and sternly encouraged her to return to the west to offer her services to the Legion, its chosen people. Saying her goodbyes, she returned west. Fearful of repraisal (she'd been a runaway, after all), she cut her braids and made her way to Flagstaff. Meeting with several other women, she figured that the being she had spoken to was the same Caesar claimed to commune with: the god Mars.

Today, Hecate (the name she took as a Legion woman) is a priestess in the capital and an expert horticulturist that often helps direct slaves to plant and rotate crops.

---

Thoughts?

My PM

As for the stuff you mentioned in your PM, it's more for the topic for the fic itself than the idea topic.

As for aging Skuld up, it would allow more options. It's either your call or we can write a few test scenes where in one Skuld is her usual age and the same one where she's older and a bit wiser. Whichever one would be easier to write, we go with.

As for Hild and Urd, I thought Hild would be very interested in how far Urd is when it comes to closing a deal as big as the one all the goddesses are working on. Though I do think that Hild would be more than willing to beat Urd into the ground the moment Urd crosses a line that Hild wouldn't ever think of even walking near.

As for OCs. yeah, having a few onhand would be a good idea. You'd be in charge of your OCs, though. While I might write the fic, I'd probably heavily refer to you on what they should or shouldn't do in the fic.

Though I kinda want to swap out the Mysterious Stranger with someone else. Either Lind or the lone wanderer from Fallout 3.

There's one more PM, but it was sent recently after I was given permission for the previous ones.

Edited by HotelKatz

HotelKatz    46
HotelKatz

Here's a question to think about -

Should Heaven keep the judgement gate ready to test Belldandy and Keiichi once they reach a certain point or should they put it on hold until further notice?

vanagandr    201
vanagandr

I think that given the general feeling of the story and all the stuff that ll happen to Keiichi's life, having the gate ready seems to be a bit... much. So, maybe they might put it on hold, before he decides to joins the demons. That's not the same happy go lucky guy that we know, after all. Not in a world like the one from the Fallout games.

Nevermore    35
Nevermore

I think I would agree that having the Judgment Gate comes off as... more than a little overzealous. If Keiichi is being given a pardon for the things that he might do, or forced to do, then I don't think it makes much sense that the Gate would still be relevant. Granted, Tyr might try to make this official pardon a non-issue by promising to keep in place other, preexisting laws for mortals interacting with celestials but I could see some (Urd, perhaps?) saying that if you're going to turn a blind eye towards one thing, then you might as well go all the way. There's going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth over the 'principle' of it, though.

Bringing up the fact that Keiichi will not be the same guy - at least not in the way we're familiar with - is an important point, I think. As vanagandr said, Fallout's world is a pretty nasty place. He'll certainly try to do good but slipping up is always tempting. If others would be so inclined, it might be helpful if suggestions are made as to where he might draw the line and where he might consider bending to meet certain challenges.